"Riches" to Rags DS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcs268

Bronze

"Riches" to Rags DS?

Post by mcs268 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm currently preparing my application essays for this coming cycle. I'm pretty sure on my PS but I've been thinking about optional essays I could write, and pretty much coming up blank, especially for a DS. The only thing I could think of is that I've gone through a "riches" to rags experience. I know a common trend for the DS is simply a disadvantaged essay, so I'm not sure if the topic I have in mind is "diverse" enough. My main worry is that it could come off as complaining, which I by no means intend to do at all. It's more about having an interesting perspective that maybe most applicants do not have, but for all I know, this is relatively common.

Does anyone think this would be a good idea if I wrote it correctly or should I scrap it? I would go into more of what I set out to do but I don't think it's really necessary..just assume it doesn't come off as entitled haha. Thanks!

Ozymandias

Bronze

Re: "Riches" to Rags DS?

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

A diversity statement is useful if you're diverse. If you're struggling to come up with something and the best you can do is "I used to be rich," I wouldn't write one at all. If you're set on it, write a draft and post it so we can tell you if it's a good idea or not.

noggo10

New

Re: "Riches" to Rags DS?

Post by noggo10 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:31 pm

mcs268 wrote:I'm currently preparing my application essays for this coming cycle. I'm pretty sure on my PS but I've been thinking about optional essays I could write, and pretty much coming up blank, especially for a DS. The only thing I could think of is that I've gone through a "riches" to rags experience. I know a common trend for the DS is simply a disadvantaged essay, so I'm not sure if the topic I have in mind is "diverse" enough. My main worry is that it could come off as complaining, which I by no means intend to do at all. It's more about having an interesting perspective that maybe most applicants do not have, but for all I know, this is relatively common.

Does anyone think this would be a good idea if I wrote it correctly or should I scrap it? I would go into more of what I set out to do but I don't think it's really necessary..just assume it doesn't come off as entitled haha. Thanks!
Maybe don't write a DS at all and use your experiences in a thoughtful and reflective personal statement. I wrote about something very similar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”