Advice needed! Pre v. post grad GPA to CAS - is it worth it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
magnolia091

New

Advice needed! Pre v. post grad GPA to CAS - is it worth it?

Post by magnolia091 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I'll be graduating at the end of this coming Fall 2012, and as of right now my LSAC GPA (and similarly, my university GPA) is 3.89. However, if all goes as planned this semester, I'll hopefully have a 3.9 GPA and will thus graduate with a distinction of Summa Cum Laude from my university.

Essentially, my question is this: is it worth it to wait for my Fall 2012 grades to be on my transcript in December before sending it to be processed by the CAS? I'm leaning towards waiting, because of the difference in distinction (Summa Cum Laude v. Magna Cum Laude) but I'm not exactly sure if that actually makes much of a difference when applying to law schools.

Or, should I send my current transcript to be processed in the interim between now (rather, mid-August or so) and December, and then send it again once my Fall 2012 grades are posted?

Any advice or information you can offer would be great!

thederangedwang

Silver

Re: Advice needed! Pre v. post grad GPA to CAS - is it worth it?

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 pm

To clarify...the .01 different would mean a summa over a magna?

Regardless, the .01 difference, and the magna/summa difference is not that important and you would be better served applying early rather than applying late december or january.

magnolia091

New

Post by magnolia091 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Yes, it makes the difference between the two distinctions at my university. But I wasn't sure whether that really makes much of a difference as far as law school admission standings are concerned, which is why I'm seeking advice

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:27 pm

it makes no difference for admissions. It is not worth it to wait for the summa. Itll be better for you to apply early rather than wait

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:29 pm

thederangedwang wrote:it makes no difference for admissions. It is not worth it to wait for the summa. Itll be better for you to apply early rather than wait

magnolia091

New

Post by magnolia091 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Good to know, thanks so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”