Should I retake LSAT for scholarship money? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jychun412

Bronze

Should I retake LSAT for scholarship money?

Post by jychun412 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:08 am

My undergrad GPA is 3.95, top public school.
My LSAT scores are 166 and 171.
I have studied a lot for the last LSAT and have consistently PT'ed at about 170. I felt good about my score but now I'm considering retake because I want to get as much scholarship money as possible at T14 schools. I'm not sure if I could raise my LSAT score anymore but assuming I do get it up to like 173, would that really increase the amount of scholarship I'd get if admitted?
Any feedback would be appreciated :)

PDaddy

Gold

Re: Should I retake LSAT for scholarship money?

Post by PDaddy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:23 am

jychun412 wrote:My undergrad GPA is 3.95, top public school.
My LSAT scores are 166 and 171.
I have studied a lot for the last LSAT and have consistently PT'ed at about 170. I felt good about my score but now I'm considering retake because I want to get as much scholarship money as possible at T14 schools. I'm not sure if I could raise my LSAT score anymore but assuming I do get it up to like 173, would that really increase the amount of scholarship I'd get if admitted?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)
I'm not sure you're scoring high enough in practice to justify sitting for the test again. The rule-of-thumb is to practice at least 4-5 points higher than the anticipated score. To get a 173, you need to consistently score at 177-180 in practice. Besides, maybe if you practice at 178, you might actually get a 178 on the real thing!

Still, you could always re-take it and see how you feel after the test. If you don't think you did well, cancel.

CodyRuegger

New

Post by CodyRuegger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:24 am

Yeah, always anticipate a test-day drop. The drop is less if you practice a lot - I studied for 5 months and took over 50 practice tests, my drop was only 2 points. For others who only studied 2 months, the drop is much greater - one friend went from 173 to 166, another from 174 to 168. I don't think your numbers are unusual and you probably won't improve your score unless you start PTing a consistent minimum of 174.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:47 am

I know about the test-day drop and that I shouldn't be retaking it any time soon.
I was just curious about how much more scholarship money I could get with a higher score, assuming I get it.
But thanks for your feedback :)

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am

Should you? Yes, if you believe you will do better. Of corse scholarships/admissions chances go up across the board with a higher LSAT!

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... d=Included

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... d=Included

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”