What are Funny (Humorously Wrong) Things You've Heard... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PJENNEWE

New

What are Funny (Humorously Wrong) Things You've Heard...

Post by PJENNEWE » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 pm

about Law School Admissions or Law School from people that don't really know what they are talking about?

At my girlfriend's neighbor's house in Little Rock talking to her neighbor:
"Oh, so you want to go to law school? You should really check out University of Arkansas Little Rock. I read in an article that they were ranked among the top ten in the country!"

College in general:
"You want to go to law school? You are probably really smart."

At work:
"Law school is so risky (at this point, I thought I was actually going to have an intelligent conversation). My friend went to law school and she can't find a job." "Where did your friend go?" "Eh, I dunno, I forgot the name of it. Started with a C?" "Columbia? Chicago? Cooley?" "Cooley! That was the name!"

"This is going to look so good on my law school application."

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: What are Funny (Humorously Wrong) Things You've Heard...

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:44 pm

PJENNEWE wrote: "Law school is so risky (at this point, I thought I was actually going to have an intelligent conversation). My friend went to law school and she can't find a job." "Where did your friend go?" "Eh, I dunno, I forgot the name of it. Started with a C?" "Columbia? Chicago? Cooley?" "Cooley! That was the name!"
What was wrong about this statement? Law school is extremely risky and your coworker's friend likely went to Cooley. Seems a pretty reasonable set of statements.

New

Post by 123321 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 pm

PJENNEWE wrote:about Law School Admissions or Law School from people that don't really know what they are talking about?

At my girlfriend's neighbor's house in Little Rock talking to her neighbor:
"Oh, so you want to go to law school? You should really check out University of Arkansas Little Rock. I read in an article that they were ranked among the top ten in the country!"

College in general:
"You want to go to law school? You are probably really smart."

At work:
"Law school is so risky (at this point, I thought I was actually going to have an intelligent conversation). My friend went to law school and she can't find a job." "Where did your friend go?" "Eh, I dunno, I forgot the name of it. Started with a C?" "Columbia? Chicago? Cooley?" "Cooley! That was the name!"

"This is going to look so good on my law school application."
It must be tough to be surrounded my such idiots.

You're awesome.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Someone in an English class I'm taking was bragging about the schools they were applying to. They were pretty adamant about either going to Stanford or the local T4 to study criminal law because job prospects are the same if you "just do well."

I really hope he gets in to Stanford.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:32 pm

howlery wrote:Someone in an English class I'm taking was bragging about the schools they were applying to. They were pretty adamant about either going to Stanford or the local T4 to study criminal law because job prospects are the same if you "just do well."

I really hope he gets in to Stanford.
hoo boy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PJENNEWE

New

Post by PJENNEWE » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
PJENNEWE wrote: "Law school is so risky (at this point, I thought I was actually going to have an intelligent conversation). My friend went to law school and she can't find a job." "Where did your friend go?" "Eh, I dunno, I forgot the name of it. Started with a C?" "Columbia? Chicago? Cooley?" "Cooley! That was the name!"
What was wrong about this statement? Law school is extremely risky and your coworker's friend likely went to Cooley. Seems a pretty reasonable set of statements.
I totally get that. I just thought it was funny how he was basing how risky law school was as a whole on arguably the most risky school to spend three years at.

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:45 am

My family seems to be hung up on this exact phrase, no matter how many times I try to explain it to them...
"Washburn is one of the best law schools in the country, why move to DC to go to Washington?"
First, Washburn is a local TTTT that somehow keeps a great local reputation. Topeka residents are VERY proud of their little school! Secondly, I meant WUSTL...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 am

"It doesn't matter where you go to law school. A JD is a JD." *moves to Cali from across the country to attend a TTT*

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 pm

I know people are just trying to say the polite / nice thing, but all summer ive heard

"congrats on getting into law school"

"oooo law school? You must be really smart!!"

It's all comments as if just getting into any law school is some great accomplishment. I can really see how people get suckered into ttt / tttt

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 pm

jared6180 wrote:My family seems to be hung up on this exact phrase, no matter how many times I try to explain it to them...
"Washburn is one of the best law schools in the country, why move to DC to go to Washington?"
First, Washburn is a local TTTT that somehow keeps a great local reputation. Topeka residents are VERY proud of their little school! Secondly, I meant WUSTL...
I used to work in Topeka. They are pretty proud of their school and within some areas it does preform above its ranking. (Of course, you would have to WANT to limit yourself to those very limited markets.)

My favorite is the conventional TSL wisdom that it is pointless to apply anywhere in March using a Feb LSAT score. Your chances may not be as good as applying early but it doesn't cost anything but an app fee or two to try.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:04 pm

1. Family members who keep telling me to go to Cooley because outside of Harvard and Yale, all law schools are the same.

2. You can't study for the LSAT! It's like the ACT. You can't study for those things.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:13 pm

At my LSAT test center, some girl was talking about how she hopes she does really well so she can go to Oxford for law school.

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:17 pm

catholicgirl wrote:1. Family members who keep telling me to go to Cooley because outside of Harvard and Yale, all law schools are the same.

2. You can't study for the LSAT! It's like the ACT. You can't study for those things.
This is my favorite. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Another favorite, after a very long and detailed conversation with a co-worker about why Cleveland State's Law School was a bad bet,

"It's not a bad idea if you graduate in the top ten percent! And I know I will."

Then my head exploded, and I died.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Person at a T4 paying sticker:

"Well, if I don't like it or my job prospects are looking bad, I can always transfer to a better school"

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Laughing at others' ignorance and feeling you're better than everyone else is awesome.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Another favorite, after a very long and detailed conversation with a co-worker about why Cleveland State's Law School was a bad bet,

"It's not a bad idea if you graduate in the top ten percent! And I know I will."

Then my head exploded, and I died.
But how do you argue with logic like that? Technically, her statements were half right. Plus, it did give us a good laugh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:Laughing at others' ignorance and feeling you're better than everyone else is awesome.
The really bad part is that most of these statements are still pretty widely accepted.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Me: "I go to a local TTTT"
Attorney: Pause, "I have heard good things about local TTTT."
Me: "I'm transferring in the fall though"
Attorney: "Thank god, I didn't want to say anything"

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:42 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:Me: "I go to a local TTTT"
Attorney: Pause, "I have heard good things about local TTTT."
Me: "I'm transferring in the fall though"
Attorney: "Thank god, I didn't want to say anything"
i lol'd a lil'

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:Laughing at others' ignorance and feeling you're better than everyone else is awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Living in Texas, I hear things like this a lot:

"All those top schools are run by euro-trash homo-f@!king-sexual lib-rolls, dangit!!!... Go to South Texas."

The over-enunciation and all.

Also, "You know, you would make a great lawyer!" Don't get me wrong, I used to like compliments like this when I was eight. When I turned eight-and-a-half, though, I realized that, if you're not in the legal field, you're probably just talking out of your ass.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm

moonman157 wrote:

Not sure about you, but I don't speak confidently about things I know nothing about. I may put something in question-form to get a conversation started, but I don't go doling out advice to pre-med students or aspiring filmmakers as if I knew anything that could actually guide them in the right direction. I think we are making fun of that behavior, not people's ignorance on a subject they may have no reason to know.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

Not sure about you, but I don't speak confidently about things I know nothing about. I may put something in question-form to get a conversation started, but I don't go doling out advice to pre-med students or aspiring filmmakers as if I knew anything that could actually guide them in the right direction. I think we are making fun of that behavior, not people's ignorance on a subject they may have no reason to know.

Nah, we're making fun of a rando neighbor in Little Rock who thinks UALR is a "top ten" law school while, in Little Rock, it might as well be. And they were probably just trying to be polite, not "give advice."

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I hate it when people think Penn State University is actually two different institutions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”