Wait or Take the offer? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cory045

New

Wait or Take the offer?

Post by Cory045 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I was WL for Notre Dame and WUSTL. I applied to a few others but had my heart set on these two. As the summer goes on I have contacted them and they still remain steadfast that they are slowly taking people off the waitlist. On friday though, Penn State called with a full scholarship offer that I have to make a decision about by tomorrow morning. I am unsure as to what to do. Penn State is not the worst but they aren't the two I am on the WL for. I also know that I will most likely have to pay full price tag for these two if they take me off the waitlist. Suggestions?

TheZoid

Bronze

Re: Wait or Take the offer?

Post by TheZoid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Probly neither one is worth sticker, but what are your numbers and where are you from? A Penn State degree is not very portable.

Cory045

New

Post by Cory045 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:41 pm

3.86 gpa and 160 lsat

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 pm

If you are going to have to pay sticker for ND and WUSTL then I would absolutely take the offer at Penn State (assuming waiting to take the LSAT again is not an option). Penn State's employment prospects are less than desirable to say the least, but who can complain if they're paying for your whole ticket? IMO, ND and WUSTL do not have high enough employment prospects to warrant passing on the Penn State offer.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Cory045 wrote:3.86 gpa and 160 lsat
Yea, is retake reapply an option? That's a great GPA. And again, where are you from? PSU degree is not going to take you far outside of PA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm

If you want to work for a big law firm you should retake the lsat and go to a T14 when you score above a 168. Get 172+ and you should get good scholarship money at a T14.

If you don't care where you work you should go to penn state and take the money. You should negotiate with them though since they sound desperate. Insist on a guarantee for all three years and ask for living expenses stipend.

Cory045

New

Post by Cory045 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I have mulled this over ever since I got my lsat scores. It was very unwise of me to not have taken the lsat again in june. I am really regretting this now. I live in pa currently. I would be fine staying in the northeast. The goal is to work in a city (philly, pittsburgh, dc). I really want to do mergers and acquisitions, which is probably only found in big law and more limited in the big four accounting firms. This is not set in stone though. The most important thing for me is working in a city though.

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Solid advice being given here. It would be a shame to "waste" your GPA. If you did better on the LSAT, you would have a shot at better schools.

That being said, PSU with full-tuition would give you a lot of wiggle room in career choices (not prospects) because of low debt. I'm not sure what COL is out there.

I'm with the retake crowd, though.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Law school isn't going anywhere. Just retake in October and reapply. You have plenty of time between now and then to prep.

If anything, next cycle is going to be easier than this cycle with the drop in people taking the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 pm

If you are going to school this session, no way you should pay for anything less than a t14 with a full ride on the table. I'd take PSU or retake. Definitely over sticker at WUSTL or ND.

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Law Sauce wrote:If you are going to school this session, no way you should pay for anything less than a t14 with a full ride on the table. I'd take PSU or retake. Definitely over sticker at WUSTL or ND.
+1

Just for giggles, if you do decide to retake, ask PSU if they will throw in a COL stipend to boot. If they say yes, come back and start a poll ;)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Agree that Penn State with a full tuition & fees scholarship or retake are your best options. In addition to Pittsburgh & Philadelphia, consider Wilmington, Delaware as a target market from PSU-Dickinson. Congratulations on the full tuition scholarship !

P.S. Retaking remains your best option, however, due to your high GPA & to fewer law school applicants next cycle.

P.P.S. If you accept the PSU scholarship offer, are you required to withdraw from all waitlists ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:17 pm

You are not getting biglaw out of PSU, and your chances are so low as ND and WUSTL that it's not worth sticker.

Retake/reapply is the answer here.

However, if you are fine working in smallaw, PSU sounds like a good choice as long as you can get them to remove the stips or bump them to "good standing."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”