Texas A&M just announced a buyout of Texas Wesleyan! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
airbud

New

Re: Texas A&M just announced a buyout of Texas Wesleyan!

Post by airbud » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Aggie here. This degrades the Texas A&M brand. It does, however, provide an additional revenue stream for the university system from naive folks who'd gladly sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into a practically worthless degree.

What Texas needs is for schools to start closing down, not new ventures like this...

Texas A&M should cede the legal territory to schools who already dominate the market and are doing well, continue to excel in what they're already dominant in, and stop trying to one-up everyone (namely, UT).

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:43 pm

I mean, Texas has a law school...A&M needs to have one then....simple

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm

airbud wrote:Aggie here. This degrades the Texas A&M brand. It does, however, provide an additional revenue stream for the university system from naive folks who'd gladly sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into a practically worthless degree.

What Texas needs is for schools to start closing down, not new ventures like this...

Texas A&M should cede the legal territory to schools who already dominate the market and are doing well, continue to excel in what they're already dominant in, and stop trying to one-up everyone (namely, UT).

Many agree with you (half way down, and page 6)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=100

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 pm

airbud wrote:Aggie here. This degrades the Texas A&M brand. It does, however, provide an additional revenue stream for the university system from naive folks who'd gladly sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into a practically worthless degree.

You're obviously in the minority or it wouldn't have happened.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Saw em off!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Last edited by mcdeeremitch on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:53 pm

abc12345675 wrote:Saw em off!
dont be mad just cuz you're in college station

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:Saw em off!
dont be mad just cuz you're in college station
haha, truth is I've never been within 150 miles of college station. I just know that's what they say :)

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Chatter on aggie message boards is that they are planning on moving this thing to College Station in five years.
By this, please tell me you don't mean texags. If so, we can assume the opposite to be true.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airbud

New

Post by airbud » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for the link Nova.

I think the overwhelming majority of Aggies support this move because they see it as a great addition to the Aggie empire. In fact, I'm scrolling through facebook now and a bunch of my friends/acquaintences are celebrating it. However, these supporters are largely ignorant of the current state of the legal market, the oversaturation of lawyers, and the oversaturation of law schools, particularly in Texas.

Oh, and if A&M eventually tries to relocate the law school to College Station, they'll be in the same geographic predicament that Baylor is in: rural location that doesn't really feed into a particular market, and is competing with better schools in those markets. ANOTHER bad move.

ABA needs to significantly increase its accreditation standards, thereby forcing a shutdown of a large percentage of law schools.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:07 pm

airbud wrote:Thanks for the link Nova.

I think the overwhelming majority of Aggies support this move because they see it as a great addition to the Aggie empire. In fact, I'm scrolling through facebook now and a bunch of my friends/acquaintences are celebrating it. However, these supporters are largely ignorant of the current state of the legal market, the oversaturation of lawyers, and the oversaturation of law schools, particularly in Texas.

Oh, and if A&M eventually tries to relocate the law school to College Station, they'll be in the same geographic predicament that Baylor is in: rural location that doesn't really feed into a particular market, and is competing with better schools in those markets. ANOTHER bad move.

ABA needs to significantly increase its accreditation standards, thereby forcing a shutdown of a large percentage of law schools.
I don't disagree with you. I think the better solution is in changing the easy money nature of the student loan market. I do, however, think A&M has the potential to provide a stellar legal education that would survive even after such changes. It might get rid of many of the new independent schools, and many of the other TTT/TTTT schools across the nation.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:08 pm

My other concern is that this is going to slightly pull down the medians of UT, SMU, and UH.

I hope they cut class sizes in response....

airbud

New

Post by airbud » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 pm

emkay625 wrote:My other concern is that this is going to slightly pull down the medians of UT, SMU, and UH.

I hope they cut class sizes in response....
How will this happen?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:12 pm

knznick

New

Post by knznick » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 pm

So will applicants in the fall be applying to Texas A&M Law School at Texas Wesleyan University to just Texas Wesleyan?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm

knznick wrote:So will applicants in the fall be applying to Texas A&M Law School at Texas Wesleyan University to just Texas Wesleyan?
If the agreement is finalized as proposed, the transition will be official by June 2013.

knznick

New

Post by knznick » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 pm

June of '13, but what about fall of '12 application cycle? You think that completely rules out this years applicants Applying to A&M instead of TW?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm

knznick wrote:June of '13, but what about fall of '12 application cycle? You think that completely rules out this years applicants Applying to A&M instead of TW?
Yes, they won't have merged before then. Unless the agreement provides otherwise (which I doubt) it will still be TW.

What difference does it make? It will still be the same school.

Sorry, I'm not from Texas and I'm not familiar with either of these schools. I don't see what the big deal is. This sounds like a bad plan to me.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm

sunynp wrote:
knznick wrote:June of '13, but what about fall of '12 application cycle? You think that completely rules out this years applicants Applying to A&M instead of TW?
Yes, they won't have merged before then. Unless the agreement provides otherwise (which I doubt) it will still be TW.

Sorry, I'm not from Texas and I'm not familiar with either of these schools. I don't see what the big deal is. This sounds like a bad plan to me.
A&M is a powerhouse here, and often thought of as second only to UT. Tex Wes is unheard of, even in Dallas.

knznick

New

Post by knznick » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Being from Texas and in the A&M system, this really is a big deal here... The thought of being a part of the inaugural class would be great but man the risks are high! I know firsthand that the system is going to be putting a lot of money and effort into the school, but how quickly can it shoot up in the rankings? After three years there would it have the possibility of moving up significantly?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 pm

knznick wrote:Being from Texas and in the A&M system, this really is a big deal here... The thought of being a part of the inaugural class would be great but man the risks are high! I know firsthand that the system is going to be putting a lot of money and effort into the school, but how quickly can it shoot up in the rankings? After three years there would it have the possibility of moving up significantly?
There's a chance it won't move up at all. Plenty of public institutions support shitty law schools, and it's not like TAMU is some academic powerhouse to begin with.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Nova wrote:
sunynp wrote:

A&M is a powerhouse here, and often thought of as second only to UT. Tex Wes is unheard of, even in Dallas.
A&M is almost cult like if thats what you mean by powerhouse....and if we are talking about undergrad and not law school....then Rice is most certainly ahead of both UT and A&M

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 pm

knznick wrote:Being from Texas and in the A&M system, this really is a big deal here... The thought of being a part of the inaugural class would be great but man the risks are high! I know firsthand that the system is going to be putting a lot of money and effort into the school, but how quickly can it shoot up in the rankings? After three years there would it have the possibility of moving up significantly?
Your assumption is that employers will give a shit whether TAMUWES or whatever moves up in the rankings. And, if they do, that it will have a measurable effect on you. This assumption is largely unwarranted.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Your assumption is that employers will give a shit whether TAMUWES or whatever moves up in the rankings. And, if they do, that it will have a measurable effect on you. This assumption is largely unwarranted.
No man, when Dickinson Law merged with Penn State it shot up in the rankings and employers started coming IN DROVES.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
No man, when Dickinson Law merged with Penn State it shot up in the rankings and employers started coming IN DROVES.
Agreed. Many students immediately became BIGHARRISBURGLAWSECURE

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”