How Does Everyone Hide Their Facebook During Their Cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How do you hide your FB from law schools?

Deactivate
14%
Change last name
8%
Privacy Settings - Do Not Show Up in Searches
18%
Privacy Settings - Only friends can see your wall, etc. (or some other criterion)
24%
"Sanitize" it but keep it open
6%
Do not change anything
30%

Total votes: 50

TheRainMan

New

How Does Everyone Hide Their Facebook During Their Cycle?

Post by TheRainMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Did/will you guys hide it, and how do you do so?

superbloom

Bronze

Re: How Does Everyone Hide Their Facebook During Their Cycle?

Post by superbloom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I didn't do a damn thing. I'm of the mind that it's more suspicious if your Facebook is missing. I don't have anything to hide.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Why wouldn't you have full privacy anyways? And if you think they waste their time googling you...

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Take me as I am.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

goldeneye wrote:Why wouldn't you have full privacy anyways? And if you think they waste their time googling you...
Schools google every applicant they consider. They even watch threads on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:25 pm

goldeneye wrote:Why wouldn't you have full privacy anyways? And if you think they waste their time googling you...
Because I use it for business as well as my personal page.... The only people that are blocked are my psycho ex-wife and her equally psychotic soon to be next ex husband.... (But my first wife who is a wonderful person IS on my FB and very good friends with my current wife because they both hate #2......)
superbloom wrote:I didn't do a damn thing. I'm of the mind that it's more suspicious if your Facebook is missing. I don't have anything to hide.
This....
Tom Joad wrote:Take me as I am.
And this....
sunynp wrote:
I hope they do, maybe they will buy some art from one of my sites.... In all seriousness, I never assume anonymity anywhere on the net. I never say anything I wouldn't want my kids, my wife, my boss, my friends or an adcomm member to see... It is why I use my real name on here and every other forum I am on....

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Sup adcomms? Come at my above median LSAT/GPA and beer bonging pics.

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:32 pm

never heard of adcomms searching facebook profiles. but, you know, TLS is so full of people over-analyzing admissions that a lot of crazy ideas get thrown out.

i'm just keeping mine as is. i'll probably make sure i have a good profile pic at the time (ie. pic of me alone in a suit as opposed to with women at a parade for example). i'm already private (and you should be too obviously) so it's all good.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:34 pm

don't have facebook - never did, never will (if I can avoid it)
More than happy to give them my linkedin details, because it just adds more to the picture, not less

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 pm

rriles wrote:never heard of adcomms searching facebook profiles. but, you know, TLS is so full of people over-analyzing admissions that a lot of crazy ideas get thrown out.
Calm down bra. There have been multiple adcomm offices who admit the lurk these forums. I also asked a Dean of Admissions who confirmed it.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:46 pm

JCFindley wrote:
Because I use it for business as well as my personal page.... The only people that are blocked are my psycho ex-wife and her equally psychotic soon to be next ex husband.... (But my first wife who is a wonderful person IS on my FB and very good friends with my current wife because they both hate #2......)
superbloom wrote:I didn't do a damn thing. I'm of the mind that it's more suspicious if your Facebook is missing. I don't have anything to hide.
This....
Tom Joad wrote:Take me as I am.
And this....
sunynp wrote:
I hope they do, maybe they will buy some art from one of my sites.... In all seriousness, I never assume anonymity anywhere on the net. I never say anything I wouldn't want my kids, my wife, my boss, my friends or an adcomm member to see... It is why I use my real name on here and every other forum I am on....
NOT EVERY GODDAMN SENTENCE HAS TO END WITH AN ELLIPSIS.

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
rriles wrote:never heard of adcomms searching facebook profiles. but, you know, TLS is so full of people over-analyzing admissions that a lot of crazy ideas get thrown out.
Calm down bra. There have been multiple adcomm offices who admit the lurk these forums. I also asked a Dean of Admissions who confirmed it.
who isn't calm?

yeah, i've read that as well. how maybe once in a blue moon they even find a guy and match his name up and are able to read his posts etc.

that's not what this thread is about, though. this thread is about how applicants generally hide their facebook profiles etc. and the fact is that the vast, vast, huge majority of applicants don't have to worry about that. the fact that we're even talking about it shows how wacky this community is.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:15 pm

I dont like strangers seeing what Im up to, so my settings have always been set to private.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

The private settings give folks a false sense of security. I had an interview with a firm last year, and one of the first things we discussed was stuff that they had clearly gotten from my FB profile. I don't know if that means they pay FB to see candidates' profiles or what, but being private and unsearchable doesn't mean a thing if people want to learn more about you.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 pm

dingbat wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
I guarantee that the adcoms at my school figured out who I am
damn dude i'm sorry to hear that. i know you really wanted to go to law school.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm

kapachino wrote:The private settings give folks a false sense of security. I had an interview with a firm last year, and one of the first things we discussed was stuff that they had clearly gotten from my FB profile. I don't know if that means they pay FB to see candidates' profiles or what, but being private and unsearchable doesn't mean a thing if people want to learn more about you.
If your settings were private and unsearchable then they almost certainly got the info from somewhere else. We probably would have heard about it by now if fb had a secret operation where any company could pay money to see any fb information.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kapachino wrote:The private settings give folks a false sense of security. I had an interview with a firm last year, and one of the first things we discussed was stuff that they had clearly gotten from my FB profile. I don't know if that means they pay FB to see candidates' profiles or what, but being private and unsearchable doesn't mean a thing if people want to learn more about you.
If your settings were private and unsearchable then they almost certainly got the info from somewhere else. We probably would have heard about it by now if fb had a secret operation where any company could pay money to see any fb information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:28 pm

fatduck wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
damn dude i'm sorry to hear that. i know you really wanted to go to law school.
Can you please delete the quote? Thanks
I'm still going
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:28 pm

How can the adcoms find you on here? The email search option has been disabled.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:29 pm

rriles wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
who isn't calm?

yeah, i've read that as well. how maybe once in a blue moon they even find a guy and match his name up and are able to read his posts etc.

that's not what this thread is about, though. this thread is about how applicants generally hide their facebook profiles etc. and the fact is that the vast, vast, huge majority of applicants don't have to worry about that. the fact that we're even talking about it shows how wacky this community is.
Yes the leap from adcomms lurking on TLS to looking at applicant's facebooks is totally unreasonable. We should all aspire to your level of calm and emotional stability. The rest of TLS is suspect. Thank you for pointing out this grave truth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:How can the adcoms find you on here? The email search option has been disabled.
*Goes to [Add Law School Here] applicants thread, looks up poaster who says I just got waitlisted with a [Insert LSAT/GPA Here]! Searches through poaster's history. Matches scores and biographical information. ???? Profits.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:How can the adcoms find you on here? The email search option has been disabled.
Well, if you are a median candidate with nothing to distinguish yourself from anyone else, then odds are they can't figure it out (unless you out yourself)
If you are a unique candidate, even without talking about specifics, they know enough about you that they can figure it out.
Of course, either they need to be looking for you, or you need to be posting in a forum that they read.

If you use your real name, on the other hand, then they should have no trouble figuring you out
edit:
Mal Reynolds wrote:*Goes to [Add Law School Here] applicants thread, looks up poaster who says I just got waitlisted with a [Insert LSAT/GPA Here]! Searches through poaster's history. Matches scores and biographical information. ???? Profits.
that too

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:45 pm

[/quote]NOT EVERY GODDAMN SENTENCE HAS TO END WITH AN ELLIPSIS.[/quote]

Hmm; guess it does for me. Well, except that one.....

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
*Goes to [Add Law School Here] applicants thread, looks up poaster who says I just got waitlisted with a [Insert LSAT/GPA Here]! Searches through poaster's history. Matches scores and biographical information. ???? Profits.
yeah you're right, ad comms do that plus scour facebook to such an extent that we need to have a general conversation about how we can all safeguard ourselves from some dean of admissions finding out how much we drink/party/act like idiots

my bad if i offended, it just seems like the least of anyone's concerns. like, just about every person reading this thread and actually worrying about ad comms trolling their FB pages would be better off using that time to study for the LSAT, lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”