New to forum, Undergrad Sophomore/Any advice? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HappyMadison

New

New to forum, Undergrad Sophomore/Any advice?

Post by HappyMadison » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:54 pm

This forum has always been helpful, so I decided to join and this is my first post.

I am currently a sophomore at one of the better schools in Chicago, double major, 3.400 GPA, and was just wondering what the best pieces of advice are for people in my situation? I took a cold LSAT my freshman year and got a less than steller score, so I need to study that as well.

Are there any tips of advice for resume boosters/study tips/anything in general to help me through the process of eventually getting to a T/TT/TTT law school with some financial aid help?

Thanks

blurbz

Silver

Re: New to forum, Undergrad Sophomore/Any advice?

Post by blurbz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:07 pm

HappyMadison wrote:This forum has always been helpful, so I decided to join and this is my first post.

I am currently a sophomore at one of the better schools in Chicago, double major, 3.400 GPA, and was just wondering what the best pieces of advice are for people in my situation? I took a cold LSAT my freshman year and got a less than steller score, so I need to study that as well.

Are there any tips of advice for resume boosters/study tips/anything in general to help me through the process of eventually getting to a T/TT/TTT law school with some financial aid help?

Thanks

Get better grades. Drop one of the majors if it'll help: Your GPA and LSAT will trump any of the easily addable softs.

HappyMadison

New

Post by HappyMadison » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I have always heard that so I definitely apply myself. My goal is above/about 3.6 and a mid to high 150s to get into my ideal schools, but at least I have some time

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:31 pm

HappyMadison wrote:Thanks for the response. I have always heard that so I definitely apply myself. My goal is above/about 3.6 and a mid to high 150s to get into my ideal schools, but at least I have some time
This could be a flame but I doubt it.......

Your goals have changed as of NOW... Your goal is a 180, period...... Realistically that may not be achievable but if you actually apply yourself in your LSAT studies and start now, the 170s are but your goal is still 180..... That and get a 4.0 from here on out....

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 pm

What JC said. Upper 150s is nothing special. Aim higher, at least for the sake of increasing the scholarship you get from your target school. A few extra points can easily transilate into tens of thousands of dollars.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 pm

JCFindley wrote:
HappyMadison wrote:Thanks for the response. I have always heard that so I definitely apply myself. My goal is above/about 3.6 and a mid to high 150s to get into my ideal schools, but at least I have some time
This could be a flame but I doubt it.......

Your goals have changed as of NOW... Your goal is a 180, period...... Realistically that may not be achievable but if you actually apply yourself in your LSAT studies and start now, the 170s are but your goal is still 180..... That and get a 4.0 from here on out....
This. And take classes you like, but if your goal is law school, make sure those classes are ones that can help your GPA. Also, enjoy yourself. You're in college, have some fun.

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 pm

yeah, you'll realize in short order that your primary goals should be systematically getting A's in all of your classes and getting the very highest LSAT you can possibly achieve. aiming for a 158 might be sufficient for some school you're looking at right now; however, you should always aim to get as many of the questions right because a higher score will at best get you into a dream school that sets you up for life and at worst will earn you better scholarship offers.

good luck.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 pm

1. Start thanking a higher power every single day that you found TLS so early in your college career.

2. As said before - 4.0, 4.0, 4.0. Truly internalize the fact that all this "softs" stuff that admins talk about is complete nonsense. No one gives a shit...unless you so something truly amazing.

3. Take a few reading intensive classes (but not if it may negatively affect your GPA).

4. Relax and begin your LSAT prep early. Also think about getting some post-grad work experience.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Get interested in economics and finance while you still have time and drop the law school plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:32 pm

that's a clown reply, bro

HappyMadison

New

Post by HappyMadison » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have begun reading and studying some LSAT books on strategies, and plan to take PT's in addition.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:33 am

HappyMadison wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have begun reading and studying some LSAT books on strategies, and plan to take PT's in addition.
you don't really need to do this now. just focus on the 4.0 and having a good time. Wait till jr./sr. year before you start prepping. And when you do, make sure you do your research on LSAT prep forum.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:56 am

Read the new employment stats and get out while you still can.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:38 pm

blurbz wrote:Your GPA and LSAT will trump any of the easily addable softs.
This.

Do whatever you can to maximize these two numbers.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 pm

You need to drop a major and take the EASIEST possible courses you can. Go on rate my professor and find professors at your school that give good grades. Law school doesn't care what your classes are in. Shoot for all A's for the rest of your semesters.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:16 pm

OP: Learn the difference between "better" & "best". Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to know that words are important in the practice of law.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 am

HappyMadison wrote:This forum has always been helpful, so I decided to join and this is my first post.

Thanks
Live your life. Seriously, don't slack off or anything, keep your priorities straight, but enjoy yourself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”