drop second major? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wlynn

New

drop second major?

Post by wlynn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:09 am

I'm entering my senior year this fall and I'm not sure whether I should pursue my second major. Due to numerous personal and family issues, my sophomore grades were subpar. I've done what I can but I am still somewhere between a 3.2 or 3.3. I am hoping for a 168-170 lsat (consistent pts but will find out since i just took june test). with these lower numbers, how likely am I to get into a decent school with $?

I have already fulfilled all my current major classes but because it is so broad, i took up another major in a similar field. I work 50 hour weeks and I am afraid that this might affect my grades slightly this coming fall. Should I just take easy electives and shoot for 4.0s for the last year to maximize my chances of increasing my GPA before I apply for law school or should I take the rest of the classes for my second major where I might not do as well due to time constraints. One thing I've considered is that if law school doesn't end up working out, this second major will be helpful in my second career choice.

any advice would be appreciative! thanks

TheRainMan

New

Re: drop second major?

Post by TheRainMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:13 am

wlynn wrote:I'm entering my senior year this fall and I'm not sure whether I should pursue my second major. Due to numerous personal and family issues, my sophomore grades were subpar. I've done what I can but I am still somewhere between a 3.2 or 3.3. I am hoping for a 168-170 lsat (consistent pts but will find out since i just took june test). with these lower numbers, how likely am I to get into a decent school with $?

I have already fulfilled all my current major classes but because it is so broad, i took up another major in a similar field. I work 50 hour weeks and I am afraid that this might affect my grades slightly this coming fall. Should I just take easy electives and shoot for 4.0s for the last year to maximize my chances of increasing my GPA before I apply for law school or should I take the rest of the classes for my second major where I might not do as well due to time constraints. One thing I've considered is that if law school doesn't end up working out, this second major will be helpful in my second career choice.

any advice would be appreciative! thanks
How high would 4.0s raise your LDAS gpa?

And with a 3.3/170 I do not see a lot of money coming your way from anywhere other than TTT

But yeah, I would lean towards the boosting of the GPA since law schools won't give a crap about a double major (especially since it is in a similar field) - think of a soft like President of the Yachting Club, but less important. It really comes down to how likely you will choose to attend law school given the fact that you will probably not get a crapton of $$$...

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 am

wlynn wrote:One thing I've considered is that if law school doesn't end up working out, this second major will be helpful in my second career choice.
I think this is the most important thing to recognize. It's always good to have a fall back option. And sometimes those "easy electives" end up not being so easy. I got "no credit" for an intro to art history course going in with the same mindset.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm

First, you're probably going to get money from lower-ranked T1 and T2 schools (some people on TLS seem to think if you don't have a 180/4.0 your better off not going to law school :roll: )

If you're not 100% committed to law school and the second major could help you with another career, you might be better off keeping the major. Even a 4.0 this year wouldn't substantially increase your GPA, so if you keep the second major, you'll still get into law school, and you'll have a back up plan just in case law school doesn't work out for you.

Also, I think that working 50 hr/week would make a pretty good GPA addendum. The majority of students work much less, if at all.

Good luck with everything!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Take the easy electives and shoot for the 4.0.

Law schools care about your cumulative GPA, and do not give a fuck whether you single/double/triple majored.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Just stick with it. You're entering your senior year and are unlikely to raise your GPA by a significant measure regardless. Keep it, it will give you one more option later in life.

Get your 170 and you can still go to some solid schools

wlynn

New

Post by wlynn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:12 am

i was also debating on possibly applying for cycle 2014 instead and taking an extra semester meanwhile to boost my gpa. if i apply for cycle 2013, my gpa at time of applying would most likely be 3.2ish. best case scenario is that the gpa increase from waiting would be from a 3.3ish to 3.5 or at least very close to it...but that's waiting a whole year and maybe costing me an extra 4-5k. but i would be working during that time too so the cost isn't as much of a big deal but i'm just wondering whether the .2 gpa increase is worth the extra year waiting before applying... thoughts?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:18 am

wlynn wrote:i was also debating on possibly applying for cycle 2014 instead and taking an extra semester meanwhile to boost my gpa. if i apply for cycle 2013, my gpa at time of applying would most likely be 3.2ish. best case scenario is that the gpa increase from waiting would be from a 3.3ish to 3.5 or at least very close to it...but that's waiting a whole year and maybe costing me an extra 4-5k. but i would be working during that time too so the cost isn't as much of a big deal but i'm just wondering whether the .2 gpa increase is worth the extra year waiting before applying... thoughts?
there is a HUGE difference between a 3.3 and a 3.5 - yes. this is totally worth it.

Mediumcoconut

New

Post by Mediumcoconut » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 am

Bro, does that mean I should just drop my second major? I could use some extra partying time.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

wlynn wrote:i was also debating on possibly applying for cycle 2014 instead and taking an extra semester meanwhile to boost my gpa. if i apply for cycle 2013, my gpa at time of applying would most likely be 3.2ish. best case scenario is that the gpa increase from waiting would be from a 3.3ish to 3.5 or at least very close to it...but that's waiting a whole year and maybe costing me an extra 4-5k. but i would be working during that time too so the cost isn't as much of a big deal but i'm just wondering whether the .2 gpa increase is worth the extra year waiting before applying... thoughts?
Eh. I wouldn't do it. I don't think its worth the money and the time just for a tenth of a point. Also you would absolutely HAVE to get all As to raise your GPA significantly, but you can't guarantee that. Especially since you are not sure you want to go to law school, it might just be a waste of time.
It also depends on what your LSAT is and what your consider a "decent" law school.

I don't think a 3.3 will hurt you too much, especially with a good LSAT score. I definitely wouldn't consider an extra year, but ultimately that's just my opinion and its your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”