Early Decision??? Harvard/Columbia?! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
leebs2

Bronze

Early Decision??? Harvard/Columbia?!

Post by leebs2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Hey All,

I am applying this October for next year. I took the lsat twice, the first time(5years ago) I got a 163. And the second time(this year) I got a 173. I also have a 4.0 undergraduate GPA.

Everyone I speak to tells me that I have a good chance at getting in to Harvard/Columbia, but I have a MUCH better chance at acceptance if I do early decision and guarantee my attendance.

However, I don't want to do early decision because: 1)I don't want to lose the chance of a scholarship. 2) I am not 100% sure which one I prefer to attend.

Advice please?!!

Thanks in advance!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Early Decision??? Harvard/Columbia?!

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I recommend you send Harvard an email asking them about the benefits of applying there early decision. Make sure to include your LSAC # in the email.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I recommend you send Harvard an email asking them about the benefits of applying there early decision. Make sure to include your LSAC # in the email.
TCR

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Harvard doesn't have ED. Neither does Stanford or Yale. Unless you have some niche specific career interest that requires a T3 degree, don't ED anywhere.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Harvard doesn't have ED. Neither does Stanford or Yale. Unless you have some niche specific career interest that requires a T3 degree, don't ED anywhere.
Agreed. You are probably like 80% at Harvard, 90% at Columbia, and almost 100% at getting into at least one of CCN, and you might even get some money thrown your way. Just apply regular decision, but get your apps in shortly after they are released (I aimed for October 1). Of course, if you are really hellbent on getting into one of Harvard or Columbia and aren't interested in NYU or Chicago, dropping an ED application at Columbia isn't a bad idea. If you do that, you will probably have some "what if" feelings about not having applied to Harvard though.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

With a 4.0/173 &, presumably, several years of work experience, you should be accepted to more than one top 6 law school. No need to apply ED--this is especially true if seeking scholarship money. An exception might be #12 Northwestern if NU continues offering $150,000 scholarships to all who are accepted ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”