Does a high school suspension matter when applying to LS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steve2207

Bronze

Re: Does a high school suspension matter when applying to LS?

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:it depends on the law school. Some want this sort of thing (Ohio State); others don't. If in doubt, I'd go ahead and tell them.
My number one pic is Notre Dame! Thanks you to those of you who were helpful, and for the couple of Pm's.

Ithink I got the avatar thing figured out too btw!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:it depends on the law school. Some want this sort of thing (Ohio State); others don't. If in doubt, I'd go ahead and tell them.
My number one pic is Notre Dame! Thanks you to those of you who were helpful, and for the couple of Pm's.

Ithink I got the avatar thing figured out too btw!
Best of luck with Notre Dame

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 pm

My GPA is good enough, Ill just have to wait and see what I hit on the LSAT. I had an idea (if I had to disclose my middle/high school trouble) to say that I made some bad decisions but after converting to catholicism at 16 (I began catechism at 15, and am the only catholic in my family), my faith changed my life around. This is actually the truth, and Ithink it may help me out alittle with them because they are a catholic school.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:53 pm

I wasn't trying to troll. I really do think it's worth disclosing.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 pm

ithink the vegetarian is who they were talking about zanda. I appreciate your input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:37 am

zanda wrote:I wasn't trying to troll. I really do think it's worth disclosing.
I do as well. Are people gonna have an issue with shit you did between 6th and 9th grade? Probably not. Should you hide it from them? Hell no

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
zanda wrote:I wasn't trying to troll. I really do think it's worth disclosing.
I do as well. Are people gonna have an issue with shit you did between 6th and 9th grade? Probably not. Should you hide it from them? Hell no

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 am

This.never.matters.

Even if you did kill your little brother w/ a pile driver through a school trampoline; they care about the murderer conviction not the suspension.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:35 am

I disagree with those who say you need to disclose. Why? Because you were not legally an adult and were not in legal control of your actions. If they try and deny you passage for that, they'll run into all sorts of problems.

There is a reason that your juvenile record is sealed. Unless you were tried as an adult for a crime, I don't think there is any duty to disclose for an action you had no control over, and no reasonable person would judge you as an adult for.

Also, if there was a duty to disclose, where would it stop? High School? Middle School? Elementary school? I don't think anyone can argue that punching a child in the face and having a temper tantrum in 2nd grade will need to be disclosed on C&F for a graduate school. The only reason that something should be disclosed on C&F is to determine if that person posseses moral fitness to become a lawyer ( :roll: Because that bar is clearly so high). This will not affect it. Therefore, it should not be disclosed.

(once again, not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, blah blah blah. Merely common sense.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 am

Steve2207 wrote:Even if I had to admit it, I have no problem being honest, its just how do I expliain that I have so many that I cant remember? Im not even sure if I contacted my old HS, and middle school if they would even have a record of it! I am now 27 years old, so it has been several years.
Actually, that is exactly how I answered the traffic ticket question..... "I am sure I have tickets that I simply cannot remember but here are the ones that I do......"

That said, no one cares if you got suspended in middle school*.... I am sure I must have been a few times but can only remember once.....

(*assumes no police action here....)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”