Is it harder to get into T7 as an international? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
psiovana

New

Is it harder to get into T7 as an international?

Post by psiovana » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Is it harder to get into T7 as an international? I am not a URM

bruss

Bronze

Re: Is it harder to get into T7 as an international?

Post by bruss » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 pm

psiovana wrote:Is it harder to get into T7 as an international? I am not a URM
Why do you think it would it be harder?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:50 pm

No. Although, since your grades cant be converted for the purpose of rankings, more weight is given to your LSAT. Destroy the LSAT (by scoring above the median) and enjoy "T7".

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:04 pm

My take:

Y: No Difference
H: Harder
S: No Idea
C: Easier (until last year, at least)
C: Harder
N: No Difference
P: No Idea
V: No Difference
M: No Difference

My suspicion is that it starts to get easier as you head further down the rankings, as schools like to have a few internationals, and there aren't that many internationals with sub-170 scores.

Of course, this is all based on very limited anecdotal evidence - perhaps two or three dozen cases reported here and on LSN.

Also, US-educated internationals seem to be treated more like Americans at some/most schools (which makes sense, since they have a GPA). The list above is for foreign-educated internationals.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:16 pm

bruss wrote:
Why do you think it would it be harder?
All sorts of complicated reasons. The most obvious:
- Funding. Internationals can't get federal student loans, which creates a potential yield issue.
- Employablity. Most internationals want to work in the US, but firms have to fill out expensive paperwork to hire internationals, and doubts about English fluency can apparently be a problem. Law schools are very concerned about their employment stats right now.

There are also reasons why it might be easier:
- No GPA.
- Schools like diversity.

My guess is that different schools put different weights on these factors - along with various others, I'm sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote: My suspicion is that it starts to get easier as you head further down the rankings, as schools like to have a few internationals, and there aren't that many internationals with sub-170 scores.
What?? It's safe to say at least 97% on international test takers do not score 170+

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Nova wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote: My suspicion is that it starts to get easier as you head further down the rankings, as schools like to have a few internationals, and there aren't that many internationals with sub-170 scores.
What?? It's safe to say at least 97% on international test takers do not score 170+

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Nova wrote:
There aren't many internationals in general.

Internationals average a few points higher on the LSAT (due to self-selection, I'm sure), and I suspect most low-scoring internationals don't bother applying. If you look at international student percentages, a lot of the top schools are over 10%, but outside the top tier (and even lower in the top tier, I think), the percentage is usually in the range of 1-3% - not many relative to the total number of law students in this country, and not as many as the schools would like (which is what I meant).

It makes sense - most internationals won't have heard of the schools outside the top 20-30, and to attend those schools requires a lot of money and effort, and a great deal of risk and uncertainly (much more so than Americans).

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:57 pm

I assumed being internat. Made it easier on account of diversity for schools. Figured that's why internat. applicant are labeled as so on LSN

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:02 pm

I know there is no category "Top 7", so you must mean Tier 7. I don't know what Tier 7 is either, but it is probably reasonably easy to get in.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:09 pm

ben4847 wrote:
I know there is no category "Top 7", so you must mean Tier 7. I don't know what Tier 7 is either, but it is probably reasonably easy to get in.
Shut up.

...that was a little harsh my bad, but clearly OP is referring to the top 7 schools. Just because he doesnt refer to any TLS preset abbreviations doesn't mean anything

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:30 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Nova wrote:
There aren't many internationals in general.

Internationals average a few points higher on the LSAT (due to self-selection, I'm sure), and I suspect most low-scoring internationals don't bother applying. If you look at international student percentages, a lot of the top schools are over 10%, but outside the top tier (and even lower in the top tier, I think), the percentage is usually in the range of 1-3% - not many relative to the total number of law students in this country, and not as many as the schools would like (which is what I meant).

It makes sense - most internationals won't have heard of the schools outside the top 20-30, and to attend those schools requires a lot of money and effort, and a great deal of risk and uncertainly (much more so than Americans).

Well, your original statement makes sense when you qualify it with "that actually apply and eventually matriculate". Still, for every 1 International applicant who scores 170+, there are about 19 that dont.

Br3v wrote:
ben4847 wrote:
Shut up.

...that was a little harsh my bad, but clearly OP is referring to the top 7 schools. Just because he doesnt refer to any TLS preset abbreviations doesn't mean anything
Elaborate Michigan trolling, perhaps? Jk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”