Should I apply before graduation? 6 credits remaining Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onewhiteword

New

Should I apply before graduation? 6 credits remaining

Post by onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I've read a lot of advice stating applications should be complete, except perhaps missing an LSAT score. I'm applying for Fall 2013, but I won't graduate till December 2012 or May 2013 if I want to drag it out. Any tips on which would be better: 1) apply around Thanksgiving without LSAT (taking in Oct.) 2) apply once final grades are in and I graduate in Dec. 2012 or 3) apply when grades are in for Fall 2012 but I still don't graduate till Spring 2013.

In short, does the completion of my undergrad work make a difference other than possible swings in GPA?

Thanks for any advice

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Should I apply before graduation? 6 credits remaining

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Aside from possible swings in GPA, no, it doesn't matter and you should apply earlier.

I imagine the possible GPA change from 6 credits is pretty minimal. The only way it might be justifiable to wait until after those grades are in is if the 0.02 or whatever change in GPA pushes you over the median at a target school. But I'm still doubtful that it would be worth applying late. You'll be sending in the last term's grades later anyway, and that can help get you off a waitlist.

Option 1 doesn't make any sense, because you'll have your October LSAT score well before Thanksgiving. (Actually around Halloween.)

Have your app mostly ready to go before the October LSAT, spend the month waiting for your score finishing up your app, and apply as soon as scores come out around Halloween.

onewhiteword

New

Post by onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks!

So, it is OK and normal to apply before you have graduated? I was concerned about the not having a "complete" app for the admission lords to decide on, and if applying without final grades was possible. The LSAC pages I looked at weren't clear on how final grades could be submitted to a law school after an initial application.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:00 pm

onewhiteword wrote:Thanks!

So, it is OK and normal to apply before you have graduated? I was concerned about the not having a "complete" app for the admission lords to decide on, and if applying without final grades was possible. The LSAC pages I looked at weren't clear on how final grades could be submitted to a law school after an initial application.
Pretty much everyone who doesn't take time off between undergrad and law school (this is a high percentage of law students) applies before they've graduated.

When your final grades come in, you send the transcript to LSAC again and LSAC sends it to the schools on your list. (Pretty sure. Having graduated in 2002, I don't have any experience with this.)

New

Post by 727813 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:52 am

Definitely apply as soon as you have a complete application (minus your final grades). If you get held or waitlisted, when your final grades come out and your GPA improved, write a LOCI letting them know. But yes, update your LSAC with final grades once they come in. And yes, the majority of applicants are in their Senior year of UG when they apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Tue May 22, 2012 12:19 pm

onewhiteword wrote:Thanks!

Most of those who apply directly from undergrad in the fall are applying with a year's worth of credits still up in the air. Some schools will have you mail in your December grades, but no, there's no need to wait, especially on 6 credits.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Use the 3 weeks of waiting between the October LSAT and getting it back to submit your applications.

Alternatively you could wait for your score but be ready to submit the week you get it back (probably with some fee waivers too), but that could mean as much as a month or more of extra waiting just because of how many people submit that week.

onewhiteword

New

Post by onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”