Could I potentially get in trouble for doing this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eli88

New

Could I potentially get in trouble for doing this?

Post by eli88 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm

I've attend two undergraduate institutions. If I take courses at my former college as a visiting student, the grades would be weighted twice, first at my former institution and again once the grades are transferred back to my current school. Of course, both transcript will have to be submitted to LSAC.

Could I potentially get in trouble for doing this? My former institution is 10 minutes away while it takes me an hour and a half by train to commute to my current school.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Could I potentially get in trouble for doing this?

Post by stillwater » Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 pm

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon May 14, 2012 2:32 pm

LSAC doesn't count the transfer credits on a transcript, only the original. Therefore credits transferred in are only counted once.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm pretty sure LSAC has seen transfer credits before. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to interpret them correctly.

eli88

New

Post by eli88 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:36 pm

BVest wrote:LSAC doesn't count the transfer credits on a transcript, only the original. Therefore credits transferred in are only counted once.
My school's policy is that courses taken at another institution as a visiting student will have their grades transferred back to be posted. I'm almost certain this is the case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm

eli88 wrote:
BVest wrote:LSAC doesn't count the transfer credits on a transcript, only the original. Therefore credits transferred in are only counted once.
My school's policy is that courses taken at another institution as a visiting student will have their grades transferred back to be posted. I'm almost certain this is the case.
Super, but LSAC is under no obligation to interpret them the same way.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

eli88 wrote:
This just means that your university will calculate those credits into their institutional GPA. Some universities do, some don't, but they'll still be listed as transfer credits. LSAC won't think that you took identical courses at two schools at the same time.

EDIT: FWIW, I had a few anomalies when my community college grades were transfered to my university (including one really bizarre case where a 2000 level history course was counted by my university as a 3000 level humanities course) but none of that was reflected in my LSDAS GPA. Like an earlier poster said, they see transfer credits all the time.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon May 14, 2012 5:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
eli88 wrote:
Super, but LSAC is under no obligation to interpret them the same way.
Your sarcasm conveyed what I'm about to write, but since not everyone will get it, I shall clarify.

Not only are they under no obligation to interpret them the same way, but they won't count them that way. Those classes will only count once towards your LSAC GPA.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm pretty sure LSAC has seen transfer credits before. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to interpret them correctly.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”