TTT or Community College? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
motherland

New

TTT or Community College?

Post by motherland » Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 am

hey guys,

I Did a mediocre job in high school so I can't go to my state's flagship for UG. I have the option of going to a TTT in the middle of the state, or starting off at a CC and transferring into flagship. My eventual goal is to end up at a t-6 ls. Personal preference is the CC cuz i hate the boonies, but worried that starting of at the CC will damage my chance of grad admissions. Any opinions on this?

dbt

Silver

Re: TTT or Community College?

Post by dbt » Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 am

I did community college and it didn't hurt grad school chances.

motherland

New

Post by motherland » Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 am

Where do you go to LS or grad?

boredatwork

Bronze

Post by boredatwork » Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 am

He goes to Yale, I would probably listen to him.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 am

CC doesn't hurt your grad school chances, neither does a TTT. Nobody cares. Go where you'll be happy and get the best grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

motherland

New

Post by motherland » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 am

Yale? Isn't that ranked just under Georgetown?

lol jk

Nice.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri May 04, 2012 1:22 am

FWIW, there is at least one other person here who went to community college.

motherland

New

Post by motherland » Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 am

dbt wrote:FWIW, there is at least one other person here who went to community college.
After your start at CC, did you transfer to just a noraml state school or a fancy place? Also did you have any ridiculous softs or were you just a normal guy with good grades/LSAT?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 am

I transferred to a relatively fancy place (top 20 LAC). No ridiculous softs. I also transferred to YLS (ha) with strong grades from NYU. But hopefully that at least shows CC is no impediment to T6 straight out of college.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

motherland

New

Post by motherland » Fri May 04, 2012 1:34 am

Did you go to CC for financial reasons or are you a formed h.s slacker lol?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri May 04, 2012 1:37 am

motherland wrote:Did you go to CC for financial reasons or are you a formed h.s slacker lol?
Both kind of. I'm first generation so I was pretty checked out in high school. I did pretty well but never really thought of college. But I went to CC when I was given option of that or moving out. :mrgreen:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 1:51 am

I went to Community College too. I got my GED so it was the obvious route. I encourage you to get off to a good start. I transfered to a decent state school, but with a good gpa you can do much better.

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 pm

motherland wrote:hey guys,

I Did a mediocre job in high school so I can't go to my state's flagship for UG. I have the option of going to a TTT in the middle of the state, or starting off at a CC and transferring into flagship. My eventual goal is to end up at a t-6 ls. Personal preference is the CC cuz i hate the boonies, but worried that starting of at the CC will damage my chance of grad admissions. Any opinions on this?
Absolutely start at the CC. I'm not sure where you're located but most of the places I've lived have had CC programs that were specifically designed to help students transfer to the local flagship. If yours doesn't, get the catalog and go in and talk to an adviser at the local flagship and ask what gen ed credits are most likely to transfer without issue.

My sis has been taking CC classes in addition to her BA for a specialized certificate and in helping her we were constantly getting reminders on classes that did not transfer or would transfer for one program but not another.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 pm

CC is a great way to keep your debt low.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:24 pm

CC+state school is perfectly fine. If the TTT is expensive and will leave you with more debt, definitely don't go. It won't look any better for LS admissions.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm

whichever gives A+ on their transcript would help more with LS. nothing else about your UG really matters. If the TTT is a state school, be wary of harsh grading that could hurt you, but this varies. OTOH getting A's in a JC is a joke

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri May 04, 2012 11:55 pm

I went to CC for a year and saved money and pumped my GPA. I have been admitted to Minnesota, not top 6 but still. I mean, look at the other poster. Yale! Yale for Christ's sake! Go to CC, pad your GPA, transfer to an UG that isn't flat out embarrassing and study for the LSAT. You will do fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Sat May 05, 2012 12:07 am

If I would have known that I wanted to go to law school when I was graduating high school I definitely would have went to CC instead of University. My gpa would have been substantially better and I could have gotten into better law schools. I'd go to CC. It's a regret for me (not that I didn't have a great time where I went).

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:53 pm

I went to community college then transferred to flagship state school as well. Don't regret it at all.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat May 05, 2012 4:53 pm

motherland wrote:
dbt wrote:FWIW, there is at least one other person here who went to community college.
After your start at CC, did you transfer to just a noraml state school or a fancy place? Also did you have any ridiculous softs or were you just a normal guy with good grades/LSAT?
I met two people at HYSCCN admitted students weekends this year who had started at community colleges and then transferred somewhere better after two years. The schools they transferred to were very good, though (both top 25, I think).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”