Dear TLS, splitter eval for T14? 3.3/175 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
realhero

New

Dear TLS, splitter eval for T14? 3.3/175

Post by realhero » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Hey everyone,

Lurker here starting first thread. I'm hoping you can indulge my what-are-my chances at a T14. (Have also read splitter threads, so helpful!)

--3.3x lib arts Ivy/175 (consistent diag, but here's to banking!)
--A couple of years work experience (not FT)
--Non URM

I'm considering applying fall '13, in order to take some law classes at a state school in the meanwhile, hoping it'll mitigate my GPA slightly (I know UG GPA is still the bottom line, sadly) and show interest in law. I'd work full time (hopefully) on the side, in a law related field, even for really crappy pay. (I have no previous law related coursework or WE.) Good/bad idea?

For several reasons, I also could get significantly better recommendations next year.

Thank you in advance, TLS! I promise to reciprocate as I gain more knowledge and can offer more than BS speculation. : )

dingbat

Gold

Re: Dear TLS, splitter eval for T14? 3.3/175

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 pm

What exactly does "take some law classes at a state school" entail?

If you can get better letters if rec and work experience next year, you should do so
As for your scores, if that's a genuine 175 (not PT) you should blanket the T14. You're bound to get in somewhere.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

with those #'s you should def get some top 14's.

if you ED, nyu is possible.

you should snag one of mvp.

if you're nervous, eding to one of mvp will likely work, but hurt scholarship odds.

i'd personally ed to columbia, because while under 50/50, odds are still good you'd get one of mvp.

realhero

New

Post by realhero » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Cheers Rad, yes, this is an amazing site.

And Affordable Prep, this is really helpful and gives me hope. Going to dance premature gig now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

realhero

New

Post by realhero » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Dingbat--

Sorry for confusion, edited the 175 as PT.

As for classes, I was thinking cherrypicking law-related high level UG or G classes. Not sure how helpful this would be, either for my own knowledge or proving to AdCom that I can actually study.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:09 pm

realhero wrote:Cheers Rad, yes, this is an amazing site.

And Affordable Prep, this is really helpful and gives me hope. Going to dance premature gig now.
it's contingent on the 175. if you score below a 170, you have little to no chance at t-14. also, taking the real timed test with proctors and less than ideal testing conditions is much much much harder. you should practice for it.

realhero

New

Post by realhero » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
realhero wrote:Cheers Rad, yes, this is an amazing site.

it's contingent on the 175. if you score below a 170, you have little to no chance at t-14. also, taking the real timed test with proctors and less than ideal testing conditions is much much much harder. you should practice for it.
Definitely, I realize that my 175 means little now, and know underestimating the test is a surefire way to get owned. I have 3 more solid months of FT prep ahead of me (more if I apply next year), and believe I can do it if I focus.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 pm

I applied with a 3.4 and a 175, and only got one T14 acceptance (so far...hoping for some luck on the waitlists), but I probably underperformed due to no WE and applying in early December. On the other hand, T14s mass waitlisted splitters this cycle. In retrospect, I wish I had done ED somewhere, but thats irrelevant now. But like others have said, you need a 170+ to be a considered at all, even with ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 am

realhero wrote:Hey everyone,

Lurker here starting first thread. I'm hoping you can indulge my what-are-my chances at a T14. (Have also read splitter threads, so helpful!)

--3.3x lib arts Ivy/175 (consistent diag, but here's to banking!)
--A couple of years work experience (not FT)
--Non URM

I'm considering applying fall '13, in order to take some law classes at a state school in the meanwhile, hoping it'll mitigate my GPA slightly (I know UG GPA is still the bottom line, sadly) and show interest in law. I'd work full time (hopefully) on the side, in a law related field, even for really crappy pay. (I have no previous law related coursework or WE.) Good/bad idea?

For several reasons, I also could get significantly better recommendations next year.

Thank you in advance, TLS! I promise to reciprocate as I gain more knowledge and can offer more than BS speculation. : )
I have a 3.3/175 as well, applied this cycle.

Your best case scenario is getting into NYU ED but it is by no means a given. ED to Chicago has a slim chance but unlikely. RD not happening and Columbia is not happening at all. ED to MVP are all a good chance but not guaranteed, RD to any of them is a crap shoot with M being your best shot but likely WL at all 3. You would need to do something for at least a year after graduation to have a shot at NU probably 2 years. Berkeley and Duke aren't happening, Cornell and GULC should let you in but at sticker or a trivially low scholarship amount. Happy to offer opinions below there but you asked for t14.

Your LORs, law classes, job etc are all relatively meaningless they won't mitigate much of anything. If it makes you feel better then by all means go for it, but you are doing so for the confidence and morale boost, not a tangible admissions boost.

Also to repeat because I can, a PT 175 is by no means a guarantee. If you have what it takes to do it on a PT you have the aptitude to do so on the real deal, but it will take a lot of work, good luck!

realhero

New

Post by realhero » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Westinghouse-- congrats on the T14 offer, not to mention crazy LSAT score. Would you take the current T14 barring other offers? And thanks for the real advice, that's what I'm here for.

2014-- it's great to hear from someone with similar (projected) numbers, and congrats on your score. I thought NYU was a ridic reach. Why would I have an ED shot there, as opposed to, say, Duke (do they care about grades as much as Berkeley?)? I'd be set if I got into GULC, even at sticker, as I'd like to stay in DC (tell me if that's stupid).

Now, how soft are we talking for recs? They'd be standard at best, and maybe even lukewarm. At the same time, if I could get decent letters/if they didn't matter that much, I'd definitely apply this year. You sound like you know what you're talking about, so please keep it coming.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:30 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:I applied with a 3.4 and a 175, and only got one T14 acceptance (so far...hoping for some luck on the waitlists), but I probably underperformed due to no WE and applying in early December. On the other hand, T14s mass waitlisted splitters this cycle. In retrospect, I wish I had done ED somewhere, but thats irrelevant now. But like others have said, you need a 170+ to be a considered at all, even with ED.
i dont think the december apps hurt you that much.

was there something off about your apps?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:I applied with a 3.4 and a 175, and only got one T14 acceptance (so far...hoping for some luck on the waitlists), but I probably underperformed due to no WE and applying in early December. On the other hand, T14s mass waitlisted splitters this cycle. In retrospect, I wish I had done ED somewhere, but thats irrelevant now. But like others have said, you need a 170+ to be a considered at all, even with ED.
i dont think the december apps hurt you that much.

was there something off about your apps?
None of those waitlists are all that surprising for a 3.4/175.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:28 am

realhero wrote: 2014-- it's great to hear from someone with similar (projected) numbers, and congrats on your score. I thought NYU was a ridic reach. Why would I have an ED shot there, as opposed to, say, Duke (do they care about grades as much as Berkeley?)? I'd be set if I got into GULC, even at sticker, as I'd like to stay in DC (tell me if that's stupid).

Now, how soft are we talking for recs? They'd be standard at best, and maybe even lukewarm. At the same time, if I could get decent letters/if they didn't matter that much, I'd definitely apply this year. You sound like you know what you're talking about, so please keep it coming.
NYU let in a few sub 3.5 EDers, they just typically are willing to dip lower than Columbia and also have the most noticeable ED boost for CCN. Duke is known to be very GPA whoreish much like all California schools. Not saying that your odds are zero but it would probably require an ED and it isn't as good as other schools you would probably get into with that same ED.

You aren't crazy for liking GULC for DC at all, you might be slightly crazy for wanting to pay sticker. A few people with similar numbers got as much as 105k which includes some need based aid as well, but the majority didn't report anything. You should feel pretty good about your chances to get in though.

hdsoc

Bronze

Post by hdsoc » Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm

2014 wrote:
realhero wrote: 2014-- it's great to hear from someone with similar (projected) numbers, and congrats on your score. I thought NYU was a ridic reach. Why would I have an ED shot there, as opposed to, say, Duke (do they care about grades as much as Berkeley?)? I'd be set if I got into GULC, even at sticker, as I'd like to stay in DC (tell me if that's stupid).

NYU let in a few sub 3.5 EDers, they just typically are willing to dip lower than Columbia and also have the most noticeable ED boost for CCN. Duke is known to be very GPA whoreish much like all California schools. Not saying that your odds are zero but it would probably require an ED and it isn't as good as other schools you would probably get into with that same ED.

You aren't crazy for liking GULC for DC at all, you might be slightly crazy for wanting to pay sticker. A few people with similar numbers got as much as 105k which includes some need based aid as well, but the majority didn't report anything. You should feel pretty good about your chances to get in though.
+1. This is solid advice. I got into NYU ed with a 3.3 and a 173, so it's definitely possible. The real key is to either ED to one of NYU/MVP and sacrifice potential scholarship money or accept the odds that you may have to ride a lot of waitlists. This isn't to say that it's impossible to get scholarship money as a splitter, it's just tough.

realhero

New

Post by realhero » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback 2014, and congrats hdsoc. Looks like ED at NYU and RD at GULC are something to go with.

Indebted

New

Post by Indebted » Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Whether you ED or RD, make sure you submit your apps early (unlike me!).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”