Is it a faux pas to list medical issues in a GPA addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Map Cat

New

Is it a faux pas to list medical issues in a GPA addendum?

Post by Map Cat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 am

I got two Ds (in organic chemistry and physics) fall of my senior year. I'm epileptic and was going through a shitty period of trial meds. Had tons of seizures and other issues like extreme fatigue and other side effects that turned me into a gelatinous mass of the scientist I usually am.

Would it be considered in poor taste to list this as the reason my grades suffered? Feels like I might be shooting myself in the foot by admitting I have neuro issues. I'm fine now and all stable, for the record.

No13baby

Bronze

Re: Is it a faux pas to list medical issues in a GPA addendum?

Post by No13baby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:20 pm

This is fine, especially if you can include some language about how long you've gone without having any similar problems. Keep it short and emphasize that after you figured out the problem you got your grades back on track (presumably you can show that winter/spring you did better.)

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Map Cat wrote:I got two Ds (in organic chemistry and physics) fall of my senior year. I'm epileptic and was going through a shitty period of trial meds. Had tons of seizures and other issues like extreme fatigue and other side effects that turned me into a gelatinous mass of the scientist I usually am.

Would it be considered in poor taste to list this as the reason my grades suffered? Feels like I might be shooting myself in the foot by admitting I have neuro issues. I'm fine now and all stable, for the record.
I don't think this would be in poor taste at all. That's a legitimate medical issue that caused your grades to suffer.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Map Cat wrote:I'm fine now and all stable, for the record.
Definitely not a faux pas, and I would recommend explaining the situation. Medical excuses are ones that the school's actually listen to. However, don't expect it to change how they view your GPA. Rather, view it as a 'soft' separate from your GPA that will give you a boost compared to other people with your numbers.

When you do so, make sure that you highlight that you're stable now, and write about any evidence that shows this (held down your current job for awhile, later classes after you stabilized, etc...). Schools don't care about these issues (that much) as long as you can show it's no longer a problem. That's the most important part of the addendum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”