Law School and Undergrad Schedules Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Falcon2012

New

Law School and Undergrad Schedules

Post by Falcon2012 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 pm

I am going to start law school on Aug 20th. I am participating in my graduation ceremony early Summer and finishing up my undergrad requirements end of the Summer quarter. My problem is that the Summer quarter ends on Aud 31. There are 11 days overlapping. I don't want to waste a whole year because of those couple of days. Does anyone know if the Law Schools will have problems with that? i have not received acceptance letter yet and would like to know if you think this will be a problem. Would the law school know care enough to check exactly which day is the last instruction day? Thank you for your responses.

Ludo!

Gold

Re: Law School and Undergrad Schedules

Post by Ludo! » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 pm

It's a little late to not have a single acceptance yet no? When did you apply?

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

If you don't have an acceptance, how do you know when school starts?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Are you suggesting skipping the first week and a half of school?

Even if that weren't the case, sounds like you need a break in between. Too high a risk of burn out.

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:19 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:It's a little late to not have a single acceptance yet no? When did you apply?
I applied late.

I checked the instruction start dates for all law schools that I applied. They are all pretty much all the same. I am not worried about the burnout as long as I get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 am

cinephile wrote:Are you suggesting skipping the first week and a half of school?

Even if that weren't the case, sounds like you need a break in between. Too high a risk of burn out.
I think I will be skipping my undergrad classes and studying off of the books.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 am

I mean nobody will really be able to answer this except your school but common sense tells me they're not going to let you be enrolled in undergrad and law school at the same time.

Are you positive you will get accepted anywhere? Where did you apply?

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 am

Yeah, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I don't think this is going to work. How can you matriculate at a law school if you don't have an undergraduate degree? You'll need to provide a final UG transcript confirming you've completed your UG coursework and have been conferred a degree when you start law school. But, you won't have one when school starts so you don't actually qualify to enroll in the school. Definitely ask the schools directly about this.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:It's a little late to not have a single acceptance yet no? When did you apply?
I resent this :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:I mean nobody will really be able to answer this except your school but common sense tells me they're not going to let you be enrolled in undergrad and law school at the same time.

I applied to UCLA (they were accepting late applications), Southwestern, Loyola, Chapman and will apply to Whittier and Thomas Jefferson.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:30 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
I resent this :lol:
Was confused but just looked at your lawschoolnumbers. Sorry bro. Somehow I don't think OP is in the same situation.

Good luck getting off those waitlists. (Did you kill someone?)

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I mean nobody will really be able to answer this except your school but common sense tells me they're not going to let you be enrolled in undergrad and law school at the same time.

I applied to UCLA (they were accepting late applications), Southwestern, Loyola, Chapman and will apply to Whittier and Thomas Jefferson.
Well go ahead and scratch Whittier and TJ off the list. Don't even waste the money to apply there. No idea what will happen but best thing to do is just call the school if/when you get accepted and see what your options are.

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 am

I think I have very good, reasonable chances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 am

We had to send in a transcript with proof of completion of your BA when the tuition deposit was due. It just seems unlikely that this will work out. Also, how will you complete your exams long distance? And study for that while also studying in law school?

It just seems like too much and you'd be a lot better served to take a year to work and then apply earlier.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 am

Just glanced through your post history and realized you're the I smell a lawsuit guy. Forget about UCLA, they don't like low GPAs. What's your LSAT?

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

Well go ahead and scratch Whittier and TJ off the list. Don't even waste the money to apply there. No idea what will happen but best thing to do is just call the school if/when you get accepted and see what your options are.
Why do you say that about TJ and Whittier, I know they are at the bottom of the rankings, but I am planning on transferring after the first year. Whittier Law Schools classes begin on Aug 27th, so the conflict is only 2 days. I just don't want to wait another year.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:37 am

Make sure not to wait a year. Attending a school like Whittier seems like some sort of marvelous dream, and I know I wouldn't pass up that opportunity!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Just glanced through your post history and realized you're the I smell a lawsuit guy. Forget about UCLA, they don't like low GPAs. What's your LSAT?
I have a strong personal statement and great credentials. Addendum explains my gpa, although I have a very strong upward trend. I took the LSAT once and got 158, not a great score, but with good credentials will do the job. I am also in the service and have letter of recommendations from D.o.D officers.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:41 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

Why do you say that about TJ and Whittier, I know they are at the bottom of the rankings, but I am planning on transferring after the first year. Whittier Law Schools classes begin on Aug 27th, so the conflict is only 2 days. I just don't want to wait another year.
Do NOT count on transferring as a given...don't go to a school where you would not be happy graduating at median.

boredatwork

Bronze

Post by boredatwork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:41 am

I smell a troll

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Just glanced through your post history and realized you're the I smell a lawsuit guy. Forget about UCLA, they don't like low GPAs. What's your LSAT?
I have a strong personal statement and great credentials. Addendum explains my gpa, although I have a very strong upward trend. I took the LSAT once and got 158, not a great score, but with good credentials will do the job. I am also in the service and have letter of recommendations from D.o.D officers.
You don't have good credentials dude. You've got a shit GPA, a mediocre LSAT and now you have the problem of not actually having a degree when law school starts. Retake and reapply next year.

e: and yeah obviously don't go to law school planning to transfer. Law school doesn't work like that

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Falcon2012

New

Post by Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
You don't have good credentials dude. You've got a shit GPA, a mediocre LSAT and now you have the problem of not actually having a degree when law school starts. Retake and reapply next year.

e: and yeah obviously don't go to law school planning to transfer. Law school doesn't work like that
I don't know man, I am still graduating with honors lol.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 am

What does graduating with honors have to do with anything? Your lsac gpa sucks, your best chance of getting into a law school worth going to is to get as high an LSAT as possible

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

I don't know man, I am still graduating with honors lol.
lol where can you graduate with honors with shit grades?
I received an NC and a S(satisfactory) grade for two courses last Fall. Now I am applying to law schools and LSDAS dropped it from 3.4 to 2.9.

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 am

OP, this is such an easy decision that it's not even a decision. I'm pretty sure you won't qualify to enroll at one of these schools if you get in, so you can't go to law school this year. It doesn't matter if you'd prefer to go this year, because it's not an option for you. Retake and apply early, you'll be much better off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”