Potential Law school newbie needs advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jas1503

Bronze

Potential Law school newbie needs advice

Post by jas1503 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Hello.

I really tried not to post this before taking my LSAT (you're hopefully still reading...) but I'm feeling overloaded on information. Right now, I'm trying to get as much realistic information as possible about this process.

Many years ago I transferred from a very good private school into a $!@%-hole state school, and then proceeded to under-perform in all of my classes. I didn't file for graduation immediately, taking credits on and off to raise my overall GPA. At the moment, I'm at a 3.1GPA. I'm planning to do 6 credit hours in Summer + 6 more in the Fall. Should I just stop wasting money on trying to raise my GPA? Is it better to concentrate all my time on scoring a 170 on the June LSAT?

My dream-scenario would be GW, on an ED scholly. My long-term goal is to work for government, or for the UN/UNICEF. Most of the people that I've seen whom have sweet government assignments overseas are Georgetown Law grads, so should I be focused on applying to a Georgetown Law or NYU or Columbia or Cornell with my low GPA? The alternative is to blanket the tier 2/3 schools looking for anything close to a 'full ride'. I'm positive that I can't afford Law school at full price.

Any random tips or advice would be appreciated--especially on LSAT prep..

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Re: Potential Law school newbie needs advice

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Since you still have a shot at getting your GPA up a little then that should be your primary focus. You should have nothing but As from here on out. If studying for the LSAT is going to cause you to get less than As, stop and wait to study until you are done with undergrad.
I would do a lot of sick things to have my last 12 hours of college back.

LawyerBrah

New

Post by LawyerBrah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

What are you currently scoring on LSAT practice tests?

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm

jas1503 wrote:Hello.

I really tried not to post this before taking my LSAT (you're hopefully still reading...) but I'm feeling overloaded on information. Right now, I'm trying to get as much realistic information as possible about this process.

Many years ago I transferred from a very good private school into a $!@%-hole state school, and then proceeded to under-perform in all of my classes. I didn't file for graduation immediately, taking credits on and off to raise my overall GPA. At the moment, I'm at a 3.1GPA. I'm planning to do 6 credit hours in Summer + 6 more in the Fall. Should I just stop wasting money on trying to raise my GPA? Is it better to concentrate all my time on scoring a 170 on the June LSAT?

My dream-scenario would be GW, on an ED scholly. My long-term goal is to work for government, or for the UN/UNICEF. Most of the people that I've seen whom have sweet government assignments overseas are Georgetown Law grads, so should I be focused on applying to a Georgetown Law or NYU or Columbia or Cornell with my low GPA? The alternative is to blanket the tier 2/3 schools looking for anything close to a 'full ride'. I'm positive that I can't afford Law school at full price.

You mean small state schools aren't actually just over-glorified kindergartens for the functionally stupid? You actually have to work as though you went to an overpriced private school?

I don't believe it.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:35 pm

You need nothing but A+ from here on out.

AND

a 170.

So the answer is focus on both.

Also, I would say Georgetown is likely with a 170+. GW is likely but I doubt you'd get the ED scholarship. I'm 3.23/173 and didn't get a dime of scholarship money from them. The other schools you listed (Cornell, NYU, etc.) are unlikely. Unless you are a URM, which changes things significantly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Since you still have a shot at getting your GPA up a little then that should be your primary focus. You should have nothing but As from here on out. If studying for the LSAT is going to cause you to get less than As, stop and wait to study until you are done with undergrad.
I would do a lot of sick things to have my last 12 hours of college back.
:lol: Thanks!

I had it all wrong, any point increase in my GPA should be my main focus at the moment then.

I'll do my best on the up-coming 12 credits, but how will law schools evaluate someone with "excessive" credit hours?

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of going to University with an interest in learning as much as possible. I maxed out my classes often, so I'll have close to 200 credit-hours of random coursework.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:What are you currently scoring on LSAT practice tests?
I'm in the 160 range on the 2 LSAT practice exams that I've taken so far. I'm missing a ton of Logic 'games' questions. At the moment, I'm focusing on finding premises, conclusions, and main ideas in the other 2 sections, so I'm leaving the games for last in order to ace the other 2 sections. Sensible idea?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 pm

You are below a lot of GPA floors already and getting your GPA up to a 3.2 or even a 3.3 probably won't open a lot of doors. I think you should cut your losses and graduate, get a job and get some real experience.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Gail wrote:
jas1503 wrote:Hello.

You mean small state schools aren't actually just over-glorified kindergartens for the functionally stupid? You actually have to work as though you went to an overpriced private school?

I don't believe it.
My state-school wasn't small, it was monstrous.

I would have sold my soul to get into Florida State when I was younger, so I'm not slating state-schools--just the one that I went to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

bdubs wrote:You are below a lot of GPA floors already and getting your GPA up to a 3.2 or even a 3.3 probably won't open a lot of doors. I think you should cut your losses and graduate, get a job and get some real experience.
TCR

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

I think it's more important to focus on the LSAT. A 10 point jump on that score will do you a lot better than a .2 jump in GPA, and i'm guessing 12 credit hours won't make much of a GPA difference.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

jas1503 wrote: My state-school wasn't small, it was monstrous.

I would have sold my soul to get into Florida State when I was younger, so I'm not slating state-schools--just the one that I went to.
Cool. I don't know why I snapped at you. Inferiority complex. I guess.

Anyways. Northwestern will take a 170/3.1 ED if you're interested. That will require ~2 years of post-graduate work experience, however.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

emkay625 wrote:You need nothing but A+ from here on out.

AND

a 170.

So the answer is focus on both.

Also, I would say Georgetown is likely with a 170+. GW is likely but I doubt you'd get the ED scholarship. I'm 3.23/173 and didn't get a dime of scholarship money from them. The other schools you listed (Cornell, NYU, etc.) are unlikely. Unless you are a URM, which changes things significantly.

Thanks! I am a URM.

I'm not realistically looking at getting into any of those schools, GW is already a 'Hail Mary' in my opinion. I've heard about the fantasy boost that I would be getting, but I haven't read anything that says that the boost would apply to my low GPA.

...Losing some of my posts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawyerBrah

New

Post by LawyerBrah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm

If you're an URM you still have a fighting chance for the lower T-14 schools.

Take some time off and study for the LSAT

Your goal should be a score of 172+

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:09 pm

bdubs wrote:You are below a lot of GPA floors already and getting your GPA up to a 3.2 or even a 3.3 probably won't open a lot of doors. I think you should cut your losses and graduate, get a job and get some real experience.
What type of job should I be looking for to strengthen my chances? I mean, my only reason for going to law school -at the moment- is to land a government job outside of the country. I'm in a state agency now, but it's not related to law at all.

Going to Law school just seems like a good opportunity to get an advanced degree. Everyone keeps telling me that MA programs would be wasteful.

Is there anyone who is working for Government, or is doing International Law, here?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm

jas1503 wrote: my only reason for going to law school -at the moment- is to land a government job outside of the country
This is a terrible goal for law school. Study for and take the FSE if you want to work for the state department. Law school is a terrible fall back option for grad school, it only qualifies you to work as a lawyer and many schools can't even find those kind of jobs for their grads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”