Uh oh... LSAC's CAS might tank my GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UTexasLaw

New

Uh oh... LSAC's CAS might tank my GPA?

Post by UTexasLaw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I currently attend UT business school and hold a 3.88 in residence GPA (I'm in the top 10% of my class, will be graduating with High Honors, have had University Honors for 5 semesters). I transferred in a lot of credits randomly but here's the issue. I didn't really give a shit about all these online classes so here's the breakdown of what happened:

UT GPA:

HCC (houston community college GPA):
1.5 (one b, one f, one W)

Midland college gpa:
2 (1 A, 1 F)

WCJC gpa:
4.0 (2 As)

Now for HCC, I signed up for 2 summer classes but suddenly went out of country. While traveling, I had no internet access, so I couldn't do any of my shit and therefore got an F in one class but luckily withdrew from the other before the deadline had passed. For Midland, I signed up for a spring online class but completely forgot about it and made an F. After recalculation, my GPA plummets from a 3.88 to a 3.51. Should I be very concerned about this? My hope was to go to UT law, I have a 166 LSAT and i THOUGHT i had a 3.88 GPA which would get me in, but now I'm in serious panic mode. Any help/advice/analysis would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have similar issues.

smaug_

Gold

Re: Uh oh... LSAC's CAS might tank my GPA?

Post by smaug_ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:44 pm

UTexasLaw wrote:I currently attend UT business school and hold a 3.88 in residence GPA (I'm in the top 10% of my class, will be graduating with High Honors, have had University Honors for 5 semesters). I transferred in a lot of credits randomly but here's the issue. I didn't really give a shit about all these online classes so here's the breakdown of what happened:

UT GPA:

Midland college gpa:
2 (1 A, 1 F)

WCJC gpa:
4.0 (2 As)

Now for HCC, I signed up for 2 summer classes but suddenly went out of country. While traveling, I had no internet access, so I couldn't do any of my shit and therefore got an F in one class but luckily withdrew from the other before the deadline had passed. For Midland, I signed up for a spring online class but completely forgot about it and made an F. After recalculation, my GPA plummets from a 3.88 to a 3.51. Should I be very concerned about this? My hope was to go to UT law, I have a 166 LSAT and i THOUGHT i had a 3.88 GPA which would get me in, but now I'm in serious panic mode. Any help/advice/analysis would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have similar issues.
Well, you're going to need to write an addendum either way, I'd bet. If you're at a 3.51, just aim higher on the LSAT. To be honest, you should retake and aim higher anyway.

UTexasLaw

New

Post by UTexasLaw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 pm

hibiki wrote:
UTexasLaw wrote:I currently attend UT business school and hold a 3.88 in residence GPA (I'm in the top 10% of my class, will be graduating with High Honors, have had University Honors for 5 semesters). I transferred in a lot of credits randomly but here's the issue. I didn't really give a shit about all these online classes so here's the breakdown of what happened:

UT GPA:

Midland college gpa:
2 (1 A, 1 F)

WCJC gpa:
4.0 (2 As)

Well, you're going to need to write an addendum either way, I'd bet. If you're at a 3.51, just aim higher on the LSAT. To be honest, you should retake and aim higher anyway.

Fucking community college.... so retarded. If I retake anyways, I doubt I'll get higher than a 170. So I'm basically capped between a 166-170 and a 3.5 gpa - 3.9 depending on how admissions people see it/if I retake...

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm

UTexasLaw wrote:
hibiki wrote:

UT GPA:

Midland college gpa:
2 (1 A, 1 F)

WCJC gpa:
4.0 (2 As)

Fucking community college.... so retarded. If I retake anyways, I doubt I'll get higher than a 170. So I'm basically capped between a 166-170 and a 3.5 gpa - 3.9 depending on how admissions people see it/if I retake...
My GPA was tanked quite a bit but not this much. Not much you can do about it. They won't care what your non-LSAC GPA was, except marginally, like they might a mediocre soft.

The good news is a great LSAT and a 3.51 is not a bad place to be, believe it or not. And if you did so well in UG and also managed a high LSAT the first time around, you could probably commit to a few months of intense, focused study, destroy the LSAT, get in to the school(s) of your dreams, get $, profit.

The bad news is still the bad news, though. No way around that LSAT. Your GPA has been killed by LSAC. Welcome to Team Tanked GPA. Good luck to you!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Yeah, sorry to tell you but you're fucked on the GPA. Same thing happened to me and quite a few other people every year. Retake and do your best to go 170+. I had a 166/3.5 and didn't get higher than a T20 with decent scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 am

Im sorry, but blaming your GPA on CC or LSAC is just stupid. You fucked up and you caused your GPA to be 3.51 by making bad decisions. Own up to your own mistakes and move on, nothing you can do about it now.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 am

dolfan0516 wrote:Im sorry, but blaming your GPA on CC or LSAC is just stupid. You fucked up and you caused your GPA to be 3.51 by making bad decisions. Own up to your own mistakes and move on, nothing you can do about it now.
This. It sucks, but signing up for classes and forgetting about them is unlikely to reflect well on your application. I don't know the details of having to leave the country quickly during the summer; once explained to the committees that may be okay but may be viewed similarly to the forgotten class.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

swoozie

Bronze

Post by swoozie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am

Why do you think you can't do better on the LSAT?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:54 am

dolfan0516 wrote:Im sorry, but blaming your GPA on CC or LSAC is just stupid. You fucked up and you caused your GPA to be 3.51 by making bad decisions. Own up to your own mistakes and move on, nothing you can do about it now.
+1. I hate it when people say "LSAC is going to soooooo screw me..." No. You screwed yourself. It sucks, but it's the way it is. In your case, a 3.5 is not a terrible GPA: Just try to increase that LSAT score by a few points and you'll be okay. You will, however, have to apply to schools knowing your GPA is a 3.5 not a 3.88: Don't blindly hope that admissions people will count you as a 3.88 because they won't: They have to report the 3.5, so that's the only number that matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:59 am

You have to retake to have a chance at UT

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 am

A quick look at lawschoolnumbers.com suggests that chances of admission to UT are very low unless you're an URM.

Write a GPA addendum. Blame your low grades on yourself (lack of maturity) & show (via your stellar UT business GPA) that you've matured greatly since then.

Flame Retarded

New

Post by Flame Retarded » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:05 am

Everyone is so mean. I commiserate OP. The poster above me and other people are putting words into your mouth. You never said LSAC was out to screw you -- you're simply panicking and asking for advice. I posted this in another thread and I hope it helps. Try to appeal, talk to your dean. Explain your situation to them. Cry. Tell them how bad the economy is, and how you really need a scholarship and you want to save the world and every point matters! Make up a tragedy. Don't tell them you were backpacking in the goddamn Himalayas smoking pot with sherpas, or whatever the hell you were doing.
Flame Retarded wrote:Don't forget that most schools let you appeal grades. I can't tell you that the odds are in your favor - but you do have some. Most schools have a general policy of requiring the appeal to be submitted within 5 years of the F/NC, and expect you to write a letter. What you should do is make up a really good story and a sad lie, since, we all know the truth never gets anyone anywhere. Talk to the dean, ingratiate yourself to him/her with your charm. Submit appeal, and wait. Hopefully they turn the NC/F into a W.
EDIT: 2 posters above me -- people replied, I'm slow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”