Targeted Letter of Rec. Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Br3v

Gold

Targeted Letter of Rec. Question

Post by Br3v » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I see that some schools require (or encourage) letters directly towards them. For example Stanford requires a one page evaluation form. Where can I find what these targeted letters require for each school? I am looking around on LSAC and don't see anywhere where you can request the form for a targeted letter.
Is the process just putting in the letter description "for school X"? If so, where do I find out what school X is requesting to specifically see in their targeted letter?

Also, do I have to purchase the CAS now in order to upload my letters of rec to lsac?

spek

Bronze

Re: Targeted Letter of Rec. Question

Post by spek » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:37 pm

I'll answer your last question first: yes.

As to targeted letters: LSAC doesn't have a form dedicated to these. Essentially a professor/employer writes a targeted letter by recommending you for a specific school and explaining why you would be a good fit. You differentiate between these letters and the general letters by labeling them "letter for X school" on LSAC. Stanford required the additional form in the past but didn't require it for this cycle--you should check their website around the end of the summer to see if they've changed the policy again for next cycle.

Also schools don't request to see anything specific in the letters. You might choose to ask your LOR writers for targeted letters to show a specific interest in a school --their recommendation would be strengthened by providing your writers with reasons you think the school would be a particularly good fit for you.

Good luck!

Br3v

Gold

Re: Targeted Letter of Rec. Question

Post by Br3v » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39 pm

spek wrote:I'll answer your last question first: yes.

As to targeted letters: LSAC doesn't have a form dedicated to these. Essentially a professor/employer writes a targeted letter by recommending you for a specific school and explaining why you would be a good fit. You differentiate between these letters and the general letters by labeling them "letter for X school" on LSAC. Stanford required the additional form in the past but didn't require it for this cycle--you should check their website around the end of the summer to see if they've changed the policy again for next cycle.

Also schools don't request to see anything specific in the letters. You might chose to ask your LOR writers for targeted letters to show a specific interest in a school --their recommendation would be strengthened by providing your writers with reasons you think the school would be a particularly good fit for you.

Good luck!
Thank you for your help. A fellow poster and I were discussing this and were left scrtching our heads a little at the discrepency between the SLS website and TLS profile. This leads me to belive the TLS profile is just not up to date in this regard as it was written in 2009 or something.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”