Negotiating with Temple? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HelloJarJar

New

Negotiating with Temple?

Post by HelloJarJar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi all,

I've gotten into Temple, Penn State, and both Rutgers schools, all with some money. (10k/yr, 15k/yr, 12k/yr, and 10k/yr respectively)

I realize that PSU and both Rutgers's are lower ranked than Temple, but would Temple be amenable to some negotiation using those three schools' scholarships as leverage? Temple and Penn State are similarly priced with the scholarships, and the two Rutgers's are very cheap since I'm in-state.

I've also gotten into Hofstra with a full-ride, and I'm unsure if I have money from Villanova yet but have been accepted. But I doubt either of those schools awards could sway Temple.

Thanks!

bdole2

Bronze

Re: Negotiating with Temple?

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 pm

If you get money at Villanova I would wager that you could use it to negotiate with Temple. Not sure how stingy they are though.

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Even with the disparity in ranking? The only reason I'm hesitant is because I thought schools are willing to bargain across "peer" institutions, and I don't know whether Temple considers Villanova a peer. But I could be very very mistaken.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 pm

HelloJarJar wrote:Even with the disparity in ranking? The only reason I'm hesitant is because I thought schools are willing to bargain across "peer" institutions, and I don't know whether Temple considers Villanova a peer. But I could be very very mistaken.
I think they would consider them peers. Villanova has fallen like 50 spots or something in the last 2 years, but that doesn't mean that Nova and Temple aren't peer schools. For years they have been considered equals in Philly in terms of employment prospects. The only real way to know if Temple will negotiate with a Nova offer is to try.

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 pm

bdole2 wrote:
HelloJarJar wrote:Even with the disparity in ranking? The only reason I'm hesitant is because I thought schools are willing to bargain across "peer" institutions, and I don't know whether Temple considers Villanova a peer. But I could be very very mistaken.
I think they would consider them peers. Villanova has fallen like 50 spots or something in the last 2 years, but that doesn't mean that Nova and Temple aren't peer schools. For years they have been considered equals in Philly in terms of employment prospects. The only real way to know if Temple will negotiate with a Nova offer is to try.
True...I'll call up Villanova tomorrow, I only got in this afternoon and there was nothing in the email and the acceptance packet might take a while to get here.

But you think only Villanova would be a significant bargaining chip?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Temple played ball when I was applying, they raised my scholarship from 5k/year to 7.5k/year. Just lay all your offers out to them, tell them you would like to attend, but are worried about costs. Mention that PSU is in a lower cost of iving area too, that's one of the things I said to them about some of the other schools I was considering. It can't hurt to ask, and if and when you end up going there they, like all law schools, will try to screw you every which way. Might as well fight while you have some leverage.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:44 pm

HelloJarJar wrote:
bdole2 wrote:
True...I'll call up Villanova tomorrow, I only got in this afternoon and there was nothing in the email and the acceptance packet might take a while to get here.

Might as well mention Hofstra as well. But aside from that your other offers probably won't do much for your negotiation.

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 pm

bdole2 wrote:
HelloJarJar wrote:
bdole2 wrote:

Might as well mention Hofstra as well. But aside from that your other offers probably won't do much for your negotiation.
Cool, thanks for the info!

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:51 pm

philly_law wrote:Temple played ball when I was applying, they raised my scholarship from 5k/year to 7.5k/year. Just lay all your offers out to them, tell them you would like to attend, but are worried about costs. Mention that PSU is in a lower cost of iving area too, that's one of the things I said to them about some of the other schools I was considering. It can't hurt to ask, and if and when you end up going there they, like all law schools, will try to screw you every which way. Might as well fight while you have some leverage.
This is true...on a tangential note, I've visited Penn State and frankly I really liked the atmosphere etc. But I'm trying to think with my head here, Temple is probably a better value for what is has to offer comparatively right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 pm

I should have said that I did end up at Temple, and as far as the comparative value, it's hard to say. I'm definitely glad I didn't shell out huge money for a school like GW, but all your options sound like they will be pretty reasonable as far as cost. It depends on what you want and where you want to practice. Temple will do better in Philly, but they are obsessed with pushing public interest, and outside of that you are pretty much on your own. Biglaw is a long shot from any of these schools. If you do want Philly, I'd say keep playing Temple, Nova, and Rutgers-C off each other and pick whichever comes in with the lowest total debt. If you want to be in the Harrisburg/central PA area, the choice is PSU (but they don't know where you want to live, so still ask them for more money anyways).

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:07 am

philly_law wrote:I should have said that I did end up at Temple, and as far as the comparative value, it's hard to say. I'm definitely glad I didn't shell out huge money for a school like GW, but all your options sound like they will be pretty reasonable as far as cost. It depends on what you want and where you want to practice. Temple will do better in Philly, but they are obsessed with pushing public interest, and outside of that you are pretty much on your own. Biglaw is a long shot from any of these schools. If you do want Philly, I'd say keep playing Temple, Nova, and Rutgers-C off each other and pick whichever comes in with the lowest total debt. If you want to be in the Harrisburg/central PA area, the choice is PSU (but they don't know where you want to live, so still ask them for more money anyways).
That does sound like a plan...Is thinking RU-Newark has any reach in NYC a complete delusion? (That's why I haven't completely dinged it off my list so far...)

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:10 am

Someone else is going to have to take that one, I honestly don't know. Lived in the Philly area my whole life haha.

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:12 am

philly_law wrote:Someone else is going to have to take that one, I honestly don't know. Lived in the Philly area my whole life haha.
Haha I hear ya...I think Camden is making me a bit uneasy with the merger tbh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:15 am

Do you want to work in Philly or NYC?

HelloJarJar

New

Post by HelloJarJar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:20 am

bdole2 wrote:Do you want to work in Philly or NYC?
If I'm honest, I'd rather work in NYC. But Newark isn't NYC. And I'm still waiting on Brooklyn, St. John's, Seton Hall, in addition to that Hofstra acceptance. But the legal market in NYC is so saturated, and all the top schools are competing for spots there.

But I don't hate the idea of being in Philly. And with Temple, there is a MUCH greater chance of staying in Philly (if not guarantee). I don't think any of my NYC-area schools could say that about New York.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”