Did I underperform this cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
de5igual

Silver

Re: Did I underperform this cycle?

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Are you sure you want to be a lawyer? I know you said that biglaw would probably be too stressful and might kill you (not sure if you were serious given your medical condition), but even small/midlaw is pretty damn stressful.

Lawyer_of_Orpheus

New

Post by Lawyer_of_Orpheus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:34 am

BVest wrote:
PARTY wrote:
BVest wrote:Underperformed....Maybe even get a Masters (MPA or MA in something) to show that you're capable of getting a 4.0.
i can't say that i cosign telling someone to pursue a graduate degree so that they can pursue a separate graduate degree.
I wouldn't normally, but if s/he needs to distance self from UGPA, there are two ways to do it... wait or develop a separate set of academic numbers to tout.
Sadly--I know firsthand--law school admissions committees really don't care about your GPA in graduate programs. A great one helps, sure, and a bad one would hurt. But usually a graduate degree is generally going to be looked upon as professional experience, another "soft" on your application. The bulk of applicants don't have graduate degrees, so undergrad GPA is a consistent metric to use. Also, grad school GPAs just don't mean the same thing as undergrad GPAs (see http://girlscholar.blogspot.com/2011/04 ... chool.html).

Having gone through the process, gotten a JD, gotten admitted, practiced, all that jazz, what I CAN tell you that law schools really, really care about undergrad GPA. Bobbi Sue with a 4.0 from Podunk State, assuming she has good LSATs, will fare as well -- probably better -- in the application process than Roberta Suzanne with a 3.1 from a Top 25 undergrad program and so-so LSATs.

So my advice (hindsight being 20/20 and all) is to do whatever you can to pump up undergraduate number, whether it's taking a few extra undergrad classes (there are a lot of ways to do this--extension, community colleges, etc.) or going so far as getting a second bachelor's with honors or better to show that you really are as smart as the rest of the applicant pool.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Lawyer_of_Orpheus wrote:
Sadly--I know firsthand--law school admissions committees really don't care about your GPA in graduate programs. A great one helps, sure, and a bad one would hurt. But usually a graduate degree is generally going to be looked upon as professional experience, another "soft" on your application. The bulk of applicants don't have graduate degrees, so undergrad GPA is a consistent metric to use. Also, grad school GPAs just don't mean the same thing as undergrad GPAs (see http://girlscholar.blogspot.com/2011/04 ... chool.html).

Having gone through the process, gotten a JD, gotten admitted, practiced, all that jazz, what I CAN tell you that law schools really, really care about undergrad GPA. Bobbi Sue with a 4.0 from Podunk State, assuming she has good LSATs, will fare as well -- probably better -- in the application process than Roberta Suzanne with a 3.1 from a Top 25 undergrad program and so-so LSATs.

So my advice (hindsight being 20/20 and all) is to do whatever you can to pump up undergraduate number, whether it's taking a few extra undergrad classes (there are a lot of ways to do this--extension, community colleges, etc.) or going so far as getting a second bachelor's with honors or better to show that you really are as smart as the rest of the applicant pool.
He can't...grades earned after the awarding of the first bachelor's degree are not included in the LSGPA. All he can do is pump up his LSAT, put some distance between his application and his grades via work experience, target splitter friendly schools, and have his applications done early. OP certainly shouldn't worry about losing St. Johns/Cardozo money...that's a joke, he'll definitely get better offers next go around. Again, I'm coming from almost the exact same situation as the OP, and I'm WUSTL'ing with a decent scholarship.

qwerty7676

New

Post by qwerty7676 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:40 am

Conventional wisdom would suggest that once you deposit the school has no incentive to increase scholarship awards. By depositing you're saying yes to the first offer- though it's not exclusively binding essentially you've already indicated that you're interested in taking the deal. Also -schools know that walking away from a deposit is costly (in that you lose it) and thus you lose leverage after depositing because the threat that you'll walk away unless the school increases your scholarship is no longer credible.

Lastly- you need to seriously reflect on why you think you want to be a lawyer. It sounds like you have difficulties working under pressure. Talk to some practicing attorneys and seriously consider whether you would enjoy doing what they do.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 am

Wily wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
Wily wrote:Bumping this thread with an update - just got a call from Cardozo telling me was I accepted. But they're only offering $8000 a year, at least before negotiations. St. John's at full scholarship v Cardozo at near full-price, which is better? And retake is definitely a credited response, because I am still going to retake in June, but just curious if anyone thinks Cardozo is worth it. Thanks.
This is just my opinion but I don't think Cardozo is so much better than St J as to go into huge debt. I am older and debt adverse so take that for what it is worth.... St Johns for free is not a bad deal IMO but keep in mind the stips they have and that you stand a 60% chance of losing that $$$ next year. (I am assuming the top 40% stip)

JC
Thanks JC. I'm waiting from Cardozo right now to see if they can give me more money. Unfortunately I basically have to decide TOMORROW which school to go to, because St. John's deposit (after two extensions) is due this weekend.

Are you planning on going to St. John's in the fall? I saw some posts where you were talking about the possibility. I went to all the open houses so far and found the school reasonable, even though I don't love the location. PM me if you're going there.
Sorry, missed this when you asked....

St Johns in theory was a safety school that I had the numbers for and was considering. They were the last of the schools on my list to reply and I was waitlisted. I withdrew immediately from the WL because I was already admitted at Fordham.... (I am a nontraditional with some unique WE/softs. Fordham and RU-N liked them; St Johns didn't I guess.....)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon May 28, 2012 10:35 am

Don't go to St. John's of 'Bozo. Dumb idea

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 am

rad lulz wrote:Don't go to St. John's of 'Bozo. Dumb idea
Especially not at dozo with only 8k.

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Mon May 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Wow, I don't know how this thread got necro'ed, but since I posted it I got into Cardozo with $42k, WUSTL with $28k, GW with $25k, and a bunch of other schools. I no longer think I underperformed this cycle (although I wish I could've gotten into Cornell :o ) . Thanks for the input though, I think I'm going to GW next year.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon May 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Wily wrote:Wow, I don't know how this thread got necro'ed, but since I posted it I got into Cardozo with $42k, WUSTL with $28k, GW with $25k, and a bunch of other schools. I no longer think I underperformed this cycle (although I wish I could've gotten into Cornell :o ) . Thanks for the input though, I think I'm going to GW next year.
Sweet, congrats Wily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy LS

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 pm

nm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”