Dismissed from T14, want to go back to law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Will I get accepted into law school again?

Yes, but you will underperform your stats no matter what happens between now and when you apply
28%
Yes, and your stats could be good predictors but you'll need to wait
24%
No, this sounds like a recipe for a good old-fashioned blacklisting
49%

Total votes: 72

moose

New

Re: Dismissed from T14, want to go back to law school

Post by moose » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:01 pm

OP, have you seen a professional about your breakdown? Hows your condition now? If law school related stress triggered your breakdown you should seriously consider a healthier profession. There are studies that show law students and lawyers are significantly more prone to depression. With your condition, that sounds like a deadly mix.

dontbeanidiot

New

Post by dontbeanidiot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Last edited by dontbeanidiot on Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:49 pm

DrManflesh wrote:Alls I know is they didn't put an extra security detail around the Dean of Students that is so restrictive they even follow the guy to the shitter just because they like spending money.
Are chairs cost 1500 dollars each. I think they do like spending money.

DrManflesh

New

Post by DrManflesh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Are chairs cost 1500 dollars each. I think they do like spending money.
We also take on charity cases of the tragically illiterate.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

DrManflesh wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Are chairs cost 1500 dollars each. I think they do like spending money.
We also take on charity cases of the tragically illiterate.
If you can charge charity cases $50k a year for the privilege of taking advantage of one's generosity, I'm going into PI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dontbeanidiot

New

Post by dontbeanidiot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Last edited by dontbeanidiot on Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dontbeanidiot

New

Post by dontbeanidiot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:20 pm

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 pm

This wasn't a choice in the poll, but:
I think you can be accepted to schools, but the principal determinant will now be your 1L grades, not your stats.

That said, I'd say you'll outperform your stats, since median at lower T14 would be a drop below median at CCN, and half the CCN admits end up below median.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:26 pm

ben4847 wrote:This wasn't a choice in the poll, but:
I think you can be accepted to schools, but the principal determinant will now be your 1L grades, not your stats.

That said, I'd say you'll outperform your stats, since median at lower T14 would be a drop below median at CCN, and half the CCN admits end up below median.
...wat

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dontbeanidiot

New

Post by dontbeanidiot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Well....

Below I've included a list of T7 - T20 schools and their transfer requirements. Notice that they all require a full year's worth of studies. So I am ineligible to apply as a transfer. Further, if my admission was revoked, then the contract is void ab initio, which would suggest that all of my credits were invalidated as well, so it's unclear how they can be used as a determinant. I'd have to imagine they could play some role, but what that role is, I have no clue.
University of Pennsylvania Transfer applications will be considered only when the student has successfully completed all the courses required in the full-time 1L year of the home school.

University of Michigan In general, transfer applicants must present one full year of academic credit and may expect a maximum of one year of transfer credit to be accepted toward the Michigan degree.

Berkeley A law student who has completed one year at another law school may apply for transfer status to enter the second-year class at Berkeley Law if a minimum of 28 semester units was completed before entrance.

University of Virginia The transfer program is open only to applicants seeking entry as a second-year student in the fall semester. We do not admit transfer applicants who have completed only one semester of law study.

Duke Transfer applicants must have completed the entire first year of legal study at an ABA-approved law school with membership in the Association of American Law Schools.

Northwestern To be considered as a transfer student, you must have earned at least 28 semester hours, or the equivalent, of credit at your former school.

Cornell Cornell Law accepts transfer applications from students who have completed one year of study at a law school that is accredited by the American Bar Association and a member of the Association of American Law Schools.

Georgetown Applicants may only apply if, by the time they matriculate, they will have taken only two semesters worth of classes.

University of Texas To be eligible for transfer to the School of Law you must have completed the first-year (full-time) curriculum at an ABA-accredited law school.

UCLA Transfer applicants must have successfully completed an entire first-year curriculum at another American Bar Association (ABA)-approved law school.

Vanderbilt Law students who have completed one year of study in a J.D. program at an ABA-approved law school may apply for transfer admission.

USC Applicants must be in good standing and eligible to continue at their current law school, and must have completed the entire first year of full-time study

University of Minnesota A transfer student has completed one year of full-time study at another law school and intends to complete a law degree at the Universty of Minnesota.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:39 pm

dontbeanidiot wrote:

Well....

Below I've included a list of T7 - T20 schools and their transfer requirements. Notice that they all require a full year's worth of studies. So I am ineligible to apply as a transfer. Further, if my admission was revoked, then the contract is void ab initio, which would suggest that all of my credits were invalidated as well, so it's unclear how they can be used as a determinant. I'd have to imagine they could play some role, but what that role is, I have no clue.
University of Pennsylvania Transfer applications will be considered only when the student has successfully completed all the courses required in the full-time 1L year of the home school.

University of Michigan In general, transfer applicants must present one full year of academic credit and may expect a maximum of one year of transfer credit to be accepted toward the Michigan degree.

Berkeley A law student who has completed one year at another law school may apply for transfer status to enter the second-year class at Berkeley Law if a minimum of 28 semester units was completed before entrance.

University of Virginia The transfer program is open only to applicants seeking entry as a second-year student in the fall semester. We do not admit transfer applicants who have completed only one semester of law study.

Duke Transfer applicants must have completed the entire first year of legal study at an ABA-approved law school with membership in the Association of American Law Schools.

Northwestern To be considered as a transfer student, you must have earned at least 28 semester hours, or the equivalent, of credit at your former school.

Cornell Cornell Law accepts transfer applications from students who have completed one year of study at a law school that is accredited by the American Bar Association and a member of the Association of American Law Schools.

Georgetown Applicants may only apply if, by the time they matriculate, they will have taken only two semesters worth of classes.

University of Texas To be eligible for transfer to the School of Law you must have completed the first-year (full-time) curriculum at an ABA-accredited law school.

UCLA Transfer applicants must have successfully completed an entire first-year curriculum at another American Bar Association (ABA)-approved law school.

Vanderbilt Law students who have completed one year of study in a J.D. program at an ABA-approved law school may apply for transfer admission.

USC Applicants must be in good standing and eligible to continue at their current law school, and must have completed the entire first year of full-time study

University of Minnesota A transfer student has completed one year of full-time study at another law school and intends to complete a law degree at the Universty of Minnesota.
Yes, you will not be able to apply as a transfer.
But, the reason schools care about your 1L grades as a transfer, is because 1L grades are a much better predictor of law school grades than LSAT/GPA. So it should not matter much whether it is as a transfer or as a 1L. If you have law school grades, they already know how well you will do.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Yes, you will not be able to apply as a transfer.
But, the reason schools care about your 1L grades as a transfer, is because 1L grades are a much better predictor of law school grades than LSAT/GPA. So it should not matter much whether it is as a transfer or as a 1L. If you have law school grades, they already know how well you will do.
The reason schools care about 1L grades as a transfer is because they don't need to report your LSAT and GPA to US News and World Report. LSAT and GPA are supposed to predict your law school performance, and that's why they affect law school rankings, but the reason schools prize them as much as they do is because their rankings depend on LSAT and GPA numbers. Additionally, LSAT and GPA are just the main stat people use to determine how qualified the accepted students at a school are. In the case of transfers, ranking of law school combined with 1L class rank is what determines the perceived quality of the transfer. It also gives the transfer the best chance with future employers. Dontbeanidiot's LSAT and GPA will affect the law schools' rankings, so they will be the primary determinant of where he gets in. Why would they even care that much how he'll do at their school? It won't make the average class ranking go up, which is obviously generally impossible.

Also everybody stop tell him he's not taking responsibility for things. I'm his friend and former classmate in real life and I think he's handling it pretty well. He's a good guy and didn't deserve this.

Finally, Desert Fox, stop posting. You're such a shitty poster and a nasty, nerdy, unlikeable person. Jesus Christ, you post so much on TLS. I don't normally like saying things like that to people, but God you're terrible. I want to know who you are in real life at some point. I've heard rumors about who you are, but I don't know for sure.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:24 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Also everybody stop tell him he's not taking responsibility for things. I'm his friend and former classmate in real life and I think he's handling it pretty well. He's a good guy and didn't deserve this.

Finally, Desert Fox, stop posting. You're such a shitty poster and a nasty, nerdy, unlikeable person. Jesus Christ, you post so much on TLS. I don't normally like saying things like that to people, but God you're terrible. I want to know who you are in real life at some point.
I remember I dislike you, but I can't put my finger on why.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 pm

rayiner wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Also everybody stop tell him he's not taking responsibility for things. I'm his friend and former classmate in real life and I think he's handling it pretty well. He's a good guy and didn't deserve this.

Finally, Desert Fox, stop posting. You're such a shitty poster and a nasty, nerdy, unlikeable person. Jesus Christ, you post so much on TLS. I don't normally like saying things like that to people, but God you're terrible. I want to know who you are in real life at some point.
You're the biggest twit in the NU TLS class of 2014, from what I recall of my previous encounters with you. I don't usually say things like that to people, but I'll make an exception for you.
Ha, no, I'm not. And dontbeanidiot is a good guy. It's true that he didn't deserve to be expelled.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
rayiner wrote:

You're the biggest twit in the NU TLS class of 2014, from what I recall of my previous encounters with you. I don't usually say things like that to people, but I'll make an exception for you.
Ha, no, I'm not. And dontbeanidiot is a good guy. It's true that he didn't deserve to be expelled.
Do you know me in real life? Edit: I mean, do you know who I am in real life? You probably do know me. I'm friends with a lot of TLS people in real life, by coincidence though, not through TLS.

Edit: You are one of the few people in this thread who gave dontbeanidiot decent advice though, so that's good.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Oh yeah you were the one being a tool about not getting into Harvard. Glad you made some friends here.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:36 pm

rayiner wrote:Oh yeah you were the one being a tool about not getting into Harvard. Glad you made some friends here.
Ah okay. Cool. So you don't actually know me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
rayiner wrote:Oh yeah you were the one being a tool about not getting into Harvard. Glad you made some friends here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPWdkPJ7srU

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPWdkPJ7srU
How dare you?!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:55 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote: Finally, Desert Fox, stop posting. You're such a shitty poster and a nasty, nerdy, unlikeable person. Jesus Christ, you post so much on TLS. I don't normally like saying things like that to people, but God you're terrible. I want to know who you are in real life at some point. I've heard rumors about who you are, but I don't know for sure.
Ah, you're every bit as charming as I remember. The "rumors" are probably true, since everyone in the 2L class knows. They also don't care. Whether you find DF likable or not, he gets along well with pretty much everyone, probably due to his sense of humor. Though I realize you would never understand that.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:58 pm

IAFG wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote: Finally, Desert Fox, stop posting. You're such a shitty poster and a nasty, nerdy, unlikeable person. Jesus Christ, you post so much on TLS. I don't normally like saying things like that to people, but God you're terrible. I want to know who you are in real life at some point. I've heard rumors about who you are, but I don't know for sure.
Ah, you're every bit as charming as I remember. The "rumors" are probably true, since everyone in the 2L class knows. They also don't care. Whether you find DF likable or not, he gets along well with pretty much everyone, probably due to his sense of humor. Though I realize you would never understand that.

You "realize" I would never understand that because you don't actually know me. And I hope his real life "sense of humor" is completely different from the weird Rommel-fetishist annoying internet meme--loving 15,000-posting moron persona he's cultivated on this forum. I'm not a jerk. I'm nice and get along with everybody too. I just think Desert Fox sucks, unless his real life persona is really completely different from his online one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
IAFG wrote:

You "realize" I would never understand that because you don't actually know me. And I hope his real life "sense of humor" is completely different from the weird Rommel-fetishist annoying internet meme 15,000-posting moron persona he's cultivated on this forum. I'm not a jerk. I'm nice and get along with everybody too. I just think Desert Fox sucks, unless his real life persona is really completely different from his online one.
Whether what happened to your friend is justified or not, his posts are dripping with self-deception. He is going to have to figure out how to not sound like that in real life to the C&F committee.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:06 pm

rayiner wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
IAFG wrote:

You "realize" I would never understand that because you don't actually know me. And I hope his real life "sense of humor" is completely different from the weird Rommel-fetishist annoying internet meme 15,000-posting moron persona he's cultivated on this forum. I'm not a jerk. I'm nice and get along with everybody too. I just think Desert Fox sucks, unless his real life persona is really completely different from his online one.
Whether what happened to your friend is justified or not, his posts are dripping with self-deception. He is going to have to figure out how to not sound like that in real life to the C&F committee.
I think C&F won't be a problem for him. It's getting into a T14 that might be hard for him, though I think he'll be fine for that too.

And I understand what you're saying about his posts maybe dripping with self-deception, but what if he is right about everything? It's extremely hard not to sound like you're deceiving yourself even when you are right about everything. Imagine being him and having the whole school hear all these ridiculous rumors about him, most of which aren't true at all, and some of which are distortions of the truth, and having everybody believe them immediately--on top of being expelled from law school. He's taken things pretty well considering how horrible the past couple of months have been for him. Even I started to believe some of the rumors about him that were being told by his former friends before another mutual friend, a TLS poster, made me realize how horrible I was being by not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I still feel bad about that.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey, is anyone in Law and Social Change with me right now? That would be weiiiiiird.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

TBF, I've been pretty good in this thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”