Bio PhD 60%-ride to UNH, go or not? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rebel225

New

Bio PhD 60%-ride to UNH, go or not?

Post by rebel225 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:43 am

Biochemistry PhD with one year working/research experience. Recently I started considering patent law as a career option. I didn't have much time prepare for LSAT (159). Got in Iowa and New Hampshire a.k.a. franklin pierce, w/ 25k = 60%-ride. Still waiting on a few others and got waitinglisted in a few more.

I understand it was pretty much established on this forum that going to any school outside T14 is not worth it. But just wondering if my PHD makes a difference. Or should I just take my time and re-take LSAT and apply next year?

Thanks for any input.

sunynp

Gold

Re: Bio PhD 60%-ride to UNH, go or not?

Post by sunynp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 am

You should spend the time to retake and get the highest score you can. All that really matters or at least the main things are LSAT and your undergrad GPA.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 am

Absolutely retake and reapply. Not only would another year of working look good on a resume, so would a much better lsat score.

ak13

New

Post by ak13 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 am

The PhD helps immensely, and UNH isn't that terrible of a school in regards to IP. If you use your resources correctly, there are a ton of FP alums (though most of them are in New England). Universities are always looking for hard IP focused law grads for their tech transfer positions as well.

More importantly, if you've only recently considered patent law as an option, try and contact a few attorneys and pick their brains about what they do, just to make absolutely sure you'd be happy doing that.

rebel225

New

Post by rebel225 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

ak13 wrote:More importantly, if you've only recently considered patent law as an option, try and contact a few attorneys and pick their brains about what they do, just to make absolutely sure you'd be happy doing that.

Thanks a lot. I am leaning towards retake and apply for next fall, if I do decide to go down this route. After talking to a patent attorney last night (he's an patent litigator), I am seriously re-thinking if it is for me.

One thing that he commented on is, less than 1 out of 10 associates in big law ends up staying long term as partners. Most of them would either leave or being pushed out eventually. That sounds terrible as a potential career path even if you enjoys doing the work, which is a BIG if.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”