CHARACTER & FITNESS ISSUE! Need help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
asunshine

New

CHARACTER & FITNESS ISSUE! Need help

Post by asunshine » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am

I had a DUI 4 years ago and the matter was ultimately expunged. I applied to all of my schools and it didn't seem to be an issue except for one. I got a conditional acceptance from the University of Houston that I will be accepted once I submit documents regarding the character and fitness issue. The only problem is that there are no records or documents to submit. I contacted the Assistant Dean for Admissions and am waiting on her reply. I'm anxious and wanted to know if there is any precedent for this? If I can't submit records (due to their lack of existence), will they rescind their offer? It's not my only option, it's just something I'm strongly considering because I'm a Houston resident and I'll have in state tuition.

BeaverHunter

New

Re: CHARACTER & FITNESS ISSUE! Need help

Post by BeaverHunter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:25 pm

You should be able to get disposition papers from the county where you were arrested. Contact the clerk of the court. They should have something for you.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

BeaverHunter wrote:You should be able to get disposition papers from the county where you were arrested. Contact the clerk of the court. They should have something for you.
And follow advice obviously if dean gets back to you

Eliyahu7

New

Post by Eliyahu7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I wouldn't be terribly worried about this. Like the other posters have mentioned, the documents are out there.

The school is already interested in you as evidenced by the conditional acceptance, and it appears that you've been completely honest about your record. Just work it out with them and you should be fine.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 pm

asunshine wrote:I had a DUI 4 years ago and the matter was ultimately expunged. I applied to all of my schools and it didn't seem to be an issue except for one. I got a conditional acceptance from the University of Houston that I will be accepted once I submit documents regarding the character and fitness issue. The only problem is that there are no records or documents to submit. I contacted the Assistant Dean for Admissions and am waiting on her reply. I'm anxious and wanted to know if there is any precedent for this? If I can't submit records (due to their lack of existence), will they rescind their offer? It's not my only option, it's just something I'm strongly considering because I'm a Houston resident and I'll have in state tuition.
Even if you don't have actual records of this you still should have mentioned it in your addendum.

by saying "DUI 2008 that was later expunged" or something like this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm

As others have said, it will be on your clerk of courts record. If it doesn't show up because it was expunged, mail a copy of your clerk of courts record to the school as evidence.

Is that an option?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
asunshine wrote:I had a DUI 4 years ago and the matter was ultimately expunged. I applied to all of my schools and it didn't seem to be an issue except for one. I got a conditional acceptance from the University of Houston that I will be accepted once I submit documents regarding the character and fitness issue. The only problem is that there are no records or documents to submit. I contacted the Assistant Dean for Admissions and am waiting on her reply. I'm anxious and wanted to know if there is any precedent for this? If I can't submit records (due to their lack of existence), will they rescind their offer? It's not my only option, it's just something I'm strongly considering because I'm a Houston resident and I'll have in state tuition.
Even if you don't have actual records of this you still should have mentioned it in your addendum.

He never said he didn't mention it and if it was expunged, the only way the school would know is because he DID tell them....

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:25 am

JCFindley wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

He never said he didn't mention it and if it was expunged, the only way the school would know is because he DID tell them....
I'm not playing RC with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”