Could this help me get in? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheZoid

Bronze

Re: Could this help me get in?

Post by TheZoid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:06 pm

wannabeadiplomat wrote:For the record, Im half way joking/half way serious. I caught the Billy Madison reference, I take pride in the fact that my speech was similar to that of Adam Sandler's. I just get annoyed that schools believe you can measure an individual's intellectual capabilities in a matter of four hours. Personally, I think weight-lifting shows that I have drive and ambition, now would that fall over into law school? Maybe, maybe not.
I'm really depressed by the thought of you being even half way serious. No, your bench will not help you get in, unless you write a great personal statement about it and even then it will give you only a small boost if anything. Also, lol at the second bolded. Welcome to real life.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:19 pm

http://gawker.com/5883684/the-awful-cov ... hing-about

Wannabeadiplomat's cover letter. Also its not lik 265 is super impressive.

GirlStop

Bronze

Post by GirlStop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Lol; Thank you for this!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:31 pm

wannabeadiplomat wrote:For the record, Im half way joking/half way serious. I caught the Billy Madison reference, I take pride in the fact that my speech was similar to that of Adam Sandler's. I just get annoyed that schools believe you can measure an individual's intellectual capabilities in a matter of four hours. Personally, I think weight-lifting shows that I have drive and ambition, now would that fall over into law school? Maybe, maybe not.
I have been a gym rat most of my adult life. It was all about iron until I shifted to martial arts about 7 years ago. I was benching 350 when I was 37 years old and worked out with 1200 on the leg press. (I HATE squats.)

Aside from being a paid athlete and possibly a few positions in the military or law enforcement or firefighting there just aren't many career fields where your bench press would matter at all. I get that working out while in school helps you do better in school for myriad reasons. I get that being in shape can help you be a well rounded individual. I get that a UG GPA and LSAT cannot tell the whole story.

All that said, the amount you bench press really has no bearing on what kind of attorney or law student you would be..... The dedication it took to get there might make for an interesting PS.......

I do not and have never had any athletic stats on any type of resume or application though.....

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:18 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:1200 on the leg press
The thing is it is not impressive at all.... And is totally irrelevant to a job or school search unless that job is as an offensive guard or if you are trying to get a football scholarship that will cover LS.... Maybe Oklahoma or Alabama and if I was trying to do that I better get that number a LOT higher......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:21 pm

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

When Chad Hennings went to Air Force pilot training the originally paired him with an instructor that had played on the offensive line at Nebraska because they figured to big football players would understand each other better. The instructor finally convinced the commander that having the two heaviest guys in the same small jet would actually be a safety concern because of the extra weight.....

And the dude in the link above could apply for the office linebacker position......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

wannabeadiplomat

New

Post by wannabeadiplomat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:07 am

I want to thank everybody for the kind words and brute honesty regarding my question. I began weight-training after I finished undergraduate school. I knew that I would not be attending school in the fall of that year so I knew that I would need a goal to occupy my time. When I graduated high school my family sent me some money, which they intended me to use for college. Well, I had better ideas in mind! I wanted to start pumping iron so I invested in the greatest investment of my life: My very own home gym! I began hitting the weights for a few months, wound up injuring my shoulder, and threw in the towel. I never picked up a single weight for the remainder of the time I was in undergraduate school.

Once I graduated from college, I decided, "What better time to hit the weights again then now? I can't waste my time doing nothing! I need a goal to work towards!" And thats what I freaking did. I have soared past the strength I developed my first lifting experience, and I am in freaking awesome shape now. Through all the time and energy I dedicated to lifting, I started thinking, "Dang! If only all this hard work could get me something else in the real world other than just personal satisfaction/pride and extreme jealousy amongst my friends!" Sadly, all the hard work I have done is all in vain. I will probably just continue to be a muscular pizza delivery-driver with a Bachelor's degree in History for another year. Maybe I could keep lifting weights, get my bench up to 300 lbs and my squat up to 400, and see if I do not get in then.

If Law School does not work out, I have considered other options: I could be a fitness model, or possibly a comedian, or possibly a diplomat, or possibly a History teacher, or possibly a trash collector. Whatever I do, I will not be a pizza delivery driver for the rest of my life. I hear every single day, "Tyler, how much longer are you going to deliver pizzas for?" "So Tyler, are you going to retire as a Pizza delivery driver? Bahahaha!" "Why do you deliver pizzas if you have a college degree, Tyler?" I'm sick and tired of hearing that man!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 am

tl; dr.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabeadiplomat

New

Post by wannabeadiplomat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:32 am

seancris: So you want to go to LS even though you don't like to read that much? It was three freaking paragraphs.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:51 am

wannabeadiplomat wrote:I want to thank everybody for the kind words and brute honesty regarding my question. I began weight-training after I finished undergraduate school. I knew that I would not be attending school in the fall of that year so I knew that I would need a goal to occupy my time. When I graduated high school my family sent me some money, which they intended me to use for college. Well, I had better ideas in mind! I wanted to start pumping iron so I invested in the greatest investment of my life: My very own home gym! I began hitting the weights for a few months, wound up injuring my shoulder, and threw in the towel. I never picked up a single weight for the remainder of the time I was in undergraduate school.

Once I graduated from college, I decided, "What better time to hit the weights again then now? I can't waste my time doing nothing! I need a goal to work towards!" And thats what I freaking did. I have soared past the strength I developed my first lifting experience, and I am in freaking awesome shape now. Through all the time and energy I dedicated to lifting, I started thinking, "Dang! If only all this hard work could get me something else in the real world other than just personal satisfaction/pride and extreme jealousy amongst my friends!" Sadly, all the hard work I have done is all in vain. I will probably just continue to be a muscular pizza delivery-driver with a Bachelor's degree in History for another year. Maybe I could keep lifting weights, get my bench up to 300 lbs and my squat up to 400, and see if I do not get in then.

If Law School does not work out, I have considered other options: I could be a fitness model, or possibly a comedian, or possibly a diplomat, or possibly a History teacher, or possibly a trash collector. Whatever I do, I will not be a pizza delivery driver for the rest of my life. I hear every single day, "Tyler, how much longer are you going to deliver pizzas for?" "So Tyler, are you going to retire as a Pizza delivery driver? Bahahaha!" "Why do you deliver pizzas if you have a college degree, Tyler?" I'm sick and tired of hearing that man!
:D

You left out "American Gladiator."

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 am

wannabeadiplomat wrote:seancris: So you want to go to LS even though you don't like to read that much? It was three freaking paragraphs.
Chill out, bro. I didn't have time to read it, I was busy practicing my crunches. How else am I gonna get in to law school?

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 am

Maybe OP is a woman??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:12 am

R86 wrote:Are you an URM?

They barely have to lift a thing...
I thought URMs were known for their lifting skills...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”