Applied Late, 5 T-14 Wailists Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
atj86

New

Applied Late, 5 T-14 Wailists

Post by atj86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm

So I applied late waiting on my December LSAT score. I got a 177, but it means that my applications didn't get in till mid January. I'm now on 5 waitlists in the T-14. I am admitted at GWU, but with no money. Are my chances of being called up from the waitlist negatively affected by my late application time? How likely do you think getting accepted at at least ONE of my waitlist schools is? Any chance of increasing my odds aside from the normal "LOCI and school visit"?

LSAT: 177
LSAC: 3.2

Thanks in advance.

soj

Platinum

Re: Applied Late, 5 T-14 Wailists

Post by soj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Which schools? Be prepared to reapply.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeah which 5 schools were you waitlisted at?

I'd say work for a year, reapply, and ED to NU.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm

I Flips88 and bk187 were in similar situations and eventually got into NU. PM them?

atj86

New

Post by atj86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Columbia
UMich
UVA
Duke
GULC

Still waiting to hear back from NYU, but not optimistic

I've already been out of school for 2 years and don't really want to have to wait another year if I don't have to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:05 pm

atj86 wrote:Columbia
UMich
UVA
Duke
GULC

Still waiting to hear back from NYU, but not optimistic

I've already been out of school for 2 years and don't really want to have to wait another year if I don't have to.
I'd LOCI up and hit UVA,GULC,Mich.,and Duke. From what I understand CLS reserve/WL isn't too great of a shot, but it can't hurt.

At this point your options are either to do that, or just give up and withdraw? It seems like your path is obvious if you're intent on going to LS this fall isn't it?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Definitely don't go to GWU with your stats. See what happens with the WLs this year, but if nothing turns out, you should definitely reapply

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm

we're number twins, i submitted late dec (like around christmas so it might as well be a janaury submit because the admissions office would all be on vacation) i'm on 5 waitlists as well

don't think cls ever uses their reserve

write strong why mich/uva and send it to them as loci's if you haven't already written those essays in the initial application (i'm assuming not because you had late apps)

duke gulc don't know.

nyu I was pending until yesterday when I got in after sending loci the night before (literally)

in conclusion: write strong targeted loci to these schools discussing their curriculum and your academic interests. as low gpa splitters i think they want to make sure we're serious about school, since our low gpa is telling them the story that we're NOT serious

atj86

New

Post by atj86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 pm

theaether wrote:we're number twins, i submitted late dec (like around christmas so it might as well be a janaury submit because the admissions office would all be on vacation) i'm on 5 waitlists as well

write strong why mich/uva and send it to them as loci's if you haven't already written those essays in the initial application (i'm assuming not because you had late apps)

duke gulc don't know.

nyu I was pending until yesterday when I got in after sending loci the night before (literally)

in conclusion: write strong targeted loci to these schools discussing their curriculum and your academic interests. as low gpa splitters i think they want to make sure we're serious about school, since our low gpa is telling them the story that we're NOT serious
So did NYU get your LOCI before they accepted you or did you send your letter via snail mail? I'd love to be your classmate this fall. :-)

Also, I want to practice patent law and am registered to take the patent bar, but have not actually taken it yet. Is it even worth letting schools know this before I actually pass the exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

atj86 wrote:
theaether wrote:we're number twins, i submitted late dec (like around christmas so it might as well be a janaury submit because the admissions office would all be on vacation) i'm on 5 waitlists as well

duke gulc don't know.

So did NYU get your LOCI before they accepted you or did you send your letter via snail mail? I'd love to be your classmate this fall. :-)

Also, I want to practice patent law and am registered to take the patent bar, but have not actually taken it yet. Is it even worth letting schools know this before I actually pass the exam?
electronic confirmation that it was on their files at 9am, letter sent out at 12. so i'm thinking it was definitely read (pretty easy for adcoms to read a 1page loci quickly)

not sure about the patent law thing, but if a certain school has a strong program for that, definitely integrate it into the essay

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm

atj86 wrote:I've already been out of school for 2 years and don't really want to have to wait another year if I don't have to.
Your odds of getting off any single waitlist are probably small, however given your numbers and when you applied, I'd say you have a decent shot of nabbing at least one T14. But the truth is that you very well might not get off any. I only got off 1, but I might not have gotten off any.

If you get off 1, great. If you don't, then yeah you should wait the year and reapply since as splitter you have little choice but to take a T14 at sticker.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm

I mean, at this point, your options are pretty clear: A) Wait and see which waitlists you get off of and then either 1) If accepted with money, attend one of those schools 2) If rejected at all schools, dive headfirst into LS debt with your current acceptance or 3) If rejected at all schools, reapply this fall as early as possible - get priority track at Duke, etc. etc.

Doesn't seem too difficult.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I'd put money on you getting off the GULC waitlist, but I wouldn't take it if I were you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

atj86

New

Post by atj86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:26 pm

pwyoung wrote:I mean, at this point, your options are pretty clear: A) Wait and see which waitlists you get off of and then either 1) If accepted with money, attend one of those schools 2) If rejected at all schools, dive headfirst into LS debt with your current acceptance or 3) If rejected at all schools, reapply this fall as early as possible - get priority track at Duke, etc. etc.

I am aware of the options, I was just looking to gauge people's reactions and see if I could glean any helpful suggestions. Also partly because I wanted to bitch at myself in a public forum for waiting so late.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Columbia and Duke both have pretty hard soft GPA floors above 3.2 so those probably aren't happening.
U.Va. waitlists enough people to fill full classes at other schools so that probably is a no go.

Write a killer LOCI selling yourself to Michigan and GULC and hope for the best. Enjoy a ton of debt regardless.

And like someone else said do not go to GW at sticker with your numbers. If you have to settle for a non-T14 GW has a lot of peer schools that will pay you a lot of money to go.

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 pm

atj86 wrote:
pwyoung wrote:I mean, at this point, your options are pretty clear: A) Wait and see which waitlists you get off of and then either 1) If accepted with money, attend one of those schools 2) If rejected at all schools, dive headfirst into LS debt with your current acceptance or 3) If rejected at all schools, reapply this fall as early as possible - get priority track at Duke, etc. etc.

I am aware of the options, I was just looking to gauge people's reactions and see if I could glean any helpful suggestions. Also partly because I wanted to bitch at myself in a public forum for waiting so late.
it's k if you don't any of the 5, reapply in sep/oct which isn't all that far away, maybe throw an ED out there and get an ED acceptance to end your cycle early... so it won't even feel like an entire year in between

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Call UVA, ask them if you can send in an ED right now for this cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”