Should I include this as work experience?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SciDoc

New

Should I include this as work experience??

Post by SciDoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Ok let me preface this by saying "yes I know this is super geeky, lame and weird"...but during graduate school I operated a very large virtual store in "Second Life". I was making enough to have quite a lot of disposable income from it. It was in essence a business - I had employees and dealt with clients etc. etc. Then I simply got bored and spent less and less time dedicated to it, and finally just sold it off to someone who was interested in operating it.

Anyway, do you think this is something worth mentioning on my resume as work experience? I spent at least 20hrs a week for a good 2 years working on building a name brand and reputation - as well as learning by myself how to use a variety software (ex. Maya). In my head I am just thinking they might not take it as seriously or really understand what it was I did and just write it off as me padding my resume...thoughts?

splitbrain

Silver

Re: Should I include this as work experience??

Post by splitbrain » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Just for law schools? Seems fine to me. I personally find that rather interesting.

SciDoc

New

Post by SciDoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 pm

yep....was working on my resume for my law school application. Wasn't sure if it was too odd to include.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Yah go for it then.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I certainly would. You might want to phrase it in a way they will understand and maybe leave off the part that you got bored and sold it but the business itself is quite interesting....

I have my art business listed on my resume as well... It takes some doing to build your "brand" and anyone that has run their own business will completely understand that.

JC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes, that's awesome. It's both intriguing and memorable.

SciDoc

New

Post by SciDoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for the input everyone! :) I am even thinking about weaving this into my personal statement and my interest in intellectual property...time for some brainstorming!!

SciDoc

New

Post by SciDoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

JCFindley wrote:I certainly would. You might want to phrase it in a way they will understand and maybe leave off the part that you got bored and sold it but the business itself is quite interesting....

I have my art business listed on my resume as well... It takes some doing to build your "brand" and anyone that has run their own business will completely understand that.

JC
Thanks JC :) Def. will leave the "got bored" part out...lol!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:27 pm

JCFindley wrote:I certainly would. You might want to phrase it in a way they will understand and maybe leave off the part that you got bored and sold it but the business itself is quite interesting...
Yea, I would phrase this something like, "Owned and operated a virtual store dealing with X, Y, Z. In this capacity, I worked on building a brand name, interacting with customers, and handling finances."

I would make it sound as similar to a normal business as possible. You don't need to go into the fact it was on Second Life and such.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:55 am

SciDoc wrote:Thanks for the input everyone! :) I am even thinking about weaving this into my personal statement and my interest in intellectual property...time for some brainstorming!!
Sounds like an interesting and unique personal statement!

Which means you should definitely have it on the resume.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, you registered this business and handled everything correctly regarding taxes and such?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Just out of curiosity, you registered this business and handled everything correctly regarding taxes and such?
What would be the proper tax treatment of this anyway? You aren't making money, you are making fake money.
I suppose when you withdraw money it is "income from whatever source derived," but likely not until you withdraw it.
Is it labor income, or capital income?
What if you have fake partners online, is it a partnership?

SciDoc

New

Post by SciDoc » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 am

ben4847 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Just out of curiosity, you registered this business and handled everything correctly regarding taxes and such?
What would be the proper tax treatment of this anyway? You aren't making money, you are making fake money.
I suppose when you withdraw money it is "income from whatever source derived," but likely not until you withdraw it.
Is it labor income, or capital income?
What if you have fake partners online, is it a partnership?

Real money is actually created on this platform and you are correct in saying that it is only real currency when you use the exchange rate and withdraw it to a paypal account.

I had 1 other business partner, he received ~30% of whatever was earned that month. To answer Clearly's questions - I didn't register the business, but it was always included on my tax returns!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”