A suggestion Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Paul Campos

Silver

A suggestion

Post by Paul Campos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

The total number of LSATs taken for this cycle was just announced: 129,800, i.e., 25% less than two years ago. Since in recent years the ratio of LSAT tests taken to applicants has been just about 2 to 1 that means there will probably be around 65,000 applicants in this cycle. Since a lot of applicants won't consider schools beneath a certain cutoff, this means a lot of schools are going to have trouble filling their classes, no matter how much they cut admissions standards, or how much they discount advertised sticker price with "scholarships."

One thing people might consider doing at this point is contacting a couple of schools where the median LSAT is slightly below yours, and telling them you'll attend on a full tuition scholarship plus a stipend.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: A suggestion

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Dear Yale:

Your median LSAT is below mine. I am writing to let you know I will attend if offered a full scholarship plus stipend. I anxiously await your response.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm

What is that... I don't even

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:26 pm

wat

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Dear Yale:

Your median LSAT is below mine. I am writing to let you know I will attend if offered a full scholarship plus stipend. I anxiously await your response.
You're awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Would this work at any t14s?

eta: common sense tells me no, but I'd love to know if anyone's ever pulled this off
Last edited by banjo on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:08 pm

i wish someone would start posting as paul campus and just begin saying the opposite of what professor campos says.

One thing people might consider doing at this point is contacting a couple of schools where the median LSAT is slightly above yours, and telling them you'll withdraw your acceptance and pay them a years tuition for taking up time.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Gail wrote:i wish someone would start posting as paul campus and just begin saying the opposite of what professor campos says.

One thing people might consider doing at this point is contacting a couple of schools where the median LSAT is slightly above yours, and telling them you'll withdraw your acceptance and pay them a years tuition for taking up time.
Wait... the OP is actually Professor Paul Campos? That kind of seems like stupid advice for someone with such a large reputation

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:11 pm

banjo wrote:Would this work at any t14s?
One way to find out.

The marginal cost to a school of admitting somebody when otherwise the class would be below its normal size is close to zero. If your LSAT is higher than the school's median then you have something valuable to sell, especially right now.

The people on this forum are still acting like law schools are doing them a favor by admitting them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I chuckeled

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Gail wrote:i wish someone would start posting as paul campus and just begin saying the opposite of what professor campos says.

Wait... the OP is actually Professor Paul Campos? That kind of seems like stupid advice for someone with such a large reputation
Yeah he is confirmed. But outside the T14 it might not be such bad advice, as you probably wouldn't want to go to that school any other way if your numbers are that great.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
One way to find out.

The marginal cost to a school of admitting somebody when otherwise the class would be below its normal size is close to zero. If your LSAT is higher than the school's median then you have something valuable to sell, especially right now.

The people on this forum are still acting like law schools are doing them a favor by admitting them.
From the naked eye, it seems that schools are huffing GPA glue right now. I think that GPA is more of a factor this cycle. At least for money.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm sure there are a ton schools that have the money sitting around to throw a full-ride + stipend at students that are only above one median.

If the applicant pool is down, won't that just mean that LSAT medians will weaken across the board and relative medians will stay the same? Plus, a lot of schools are shrinking their class sizes to compensate for the drop in applicants.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:22 pm

I already tried this and it didn't work.

Apparently presenting Asha with ultimatums isn't an effective method of gaining an acceptance.

(sarcasm)

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Gail wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
One way to find out.

From the naked eye, it seems that schools are huffing GPA glue right now. I think that GPA is more of a factor this cycle. At least for money.

GPA works too, although median LSAT is more important to schools because of the idiotic USN rankings formula.

The general point is that law school applicants are buying spots in law school classes, and this has become very much a buyer's market. People should keep that in mind when negotiating with schools.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
One way to find out.

Wow. You should have stopped while you were ahead.

You seriously think this:
Paul Campos wrote:a lot of schools are going to have trouble filling their classes, no matter how much they cut admissions standards, or how much they discount advertised sticker price with "scholarships."
has any chance of happening at T-14 schools?

Since I've been waitlisted at several T-14 schools with an above-median LSAT, I'm now curious to try out the Campos maneuver in an LOCI.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Samara wrote:I'm sure there are a ton schools that have the money sitting around to throw a full-ride + stipend at students that are only above one median.

If the applicant pool is down, won't that just mean that LSAT medians will weaken across the board and relative medians will stay the same? Plus, a lot of schools are shrinking their class sizes to compensate for the drop in applicants.
A "full ride" costs a school nothing if the alternative is one less student in the class. A $3000 stipend costs . . . let's see here, roughly $3000.

LSAT medians will certainly not weaken in a linear manner. Some schools will fight hard to maintain theirs, which they can do on the cheap by filling seats that would otherwise go empty. Shrinking class size intentionally is pretty much a last resort, especially at lower-ranked schools where the budget is heavily tuition-dependent. A few schools have done it, but it's a sign of desperation. Hence the bargaining power of well-credentialed students late in the cycle when the applicant pool is crashing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Samara wrote:I'm sure there are a ton schools that have the money sitting around to throw a full-ride + stipend at students that are only above one median.

You should probably add this thread to your splitter thread.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
One way to find out.

Wow. You should have stopped while you were ahead.

You seriously think this:
Paul Campos wrote:a lot of schools are going to have trouble filling their classes, no matter how much they cut admissions standards, or how much they discount advertised sticker price with "scholarships."
has any chance of happening at T-14 schools?

Since I've been waitlisted at several T-14 schools with an above-median LSAT, I'm now curious to try out the Campos maneuver in an LOCI.
You think Michigan might end up having trouble hitting its median LSAT target this year? Obviously T-14s won't struggle to fill their seats (lower tier schools certainly will) but some are going to struggle to keep their numbers up. This is basically a poker game where you'll never find out what they're holding unless you're willing to call a bluff.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:42 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm

and the legend of Tiago and Campos continues

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Paul Campos wrote:You think Michigan might end up having trouble hitting its median LSAT target this year?
They are MichiGONE.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Does Campos really not have anything better to do than troll around on threads?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Paul Campos wrote: You think Michigan might end up having trouble hitting its median LSAT target this year? Obviously T-14s won't struggle to fill their seats (lower tier schools certainly will) but some are going to struggle to keep their numbers up. This is basically a poker game where you'll never find out what they're holding unless you're willing to call a bluff.
I don't think you realize how insulting this "suggestion" is to those of us who have already been rejected with above median LSAT scores. I mean, I was accepted to NYU and was offered a flat 0 dollars in grant money (over three years.) Do you seriously think they'd now send a full ride my way if I threaten to go elsewhere?

As to what Michigan is doing, your guess is as good as mine. But I think it's fairly obvious from this cycle and those in years past that they aren't all that concerned about keeping up with the Joneses on the LSAT front.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:and the legend of Tiago and Campos continues
Haha this isn't round one?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”