ED and $$$ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tyrantlytamale

New

ED and $$$

Post by tyrantlytamale » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 pm

I am planning on going to the U of MN Law (with 168/4.0) and am planning on applying this august. Because MN is the school I want to go to (I have reasons for this), I figure the binding early decision makes sense. However, I'd like them to pay for it. Will early decision at all affect scholarships and grants?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: ED and $$$

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Don't ED with those numbers, good lord. You're an autoadmit already. Apply to other (better and peer) schools for scholarship negotiation leverage. Don't let on how desperate you are to go to MN.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 pm

With your numbers, you need to apply to several law schools to get the best scholarship offers. Binding ED is unwise for one needing a large scholarship award (unless applying ED to Northwestern or GWU).

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 pm

It might - it removes all leverage that you'd otherwise have.

You should be more than fine with those numbers applying RD. UMN is generous, so I'd suggest applying very early, as you said, but under regular decision, and also applying to a few higher ranked schools/peer schools to gain leverage should you need to negotiate.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

A 4.0/168 will get you into Virginia ED, maybe Michigan. Certainly it will result in substantial scholarship offers from many, probably most, tier one law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Isn't "the military" going to pay for your JD ? If so, why the emphasis on a scholarship that you don't need & won't use ?

tyrantlytamale

New

Post by tyrantlytamale » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Isn't "the military" going to pay for your JD ? If so, why the emphasis on a scholarship that you don't need & won't use ?
For the purposes of that thread, the military will pay for school. However, it's a reimbursement, and the paperwork... Well, it makes applying look easy. It's possible, but very difficult, to get the military to pay for it. More of a last resort.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm

That meme gets a lot of mileage here.

tyrantlytamale

New

Post by tyrantlytamale » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm

I understand the sentiment, but it's not that I don't want to fill out the paperwork. I will, I have no problem trying. But they change the process every semester and lose stuff regularly. For example, they prepaid for my summer 2010 courses, then I submitted everything exactly the same for fall, and they denied it citing an issue with a course in spring of 2009 that I didn't know about. They told me this after the drop date, so I suddenly and unexpectedly had to come up with tuition for the semester in two weeks time or face WFs. Also, they won't reimburse me because I didn't have a completed record in on time.

I don't want top have to worry about that with law school tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:04 pm

OP you would be a fool not to blanket the t14. Don't go to UMN, you have much better options on the table.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

t14fanboy wrote:OP you would be a fool not to blanket the t14. Don't go to UMN, you have much better options on the table.
OP said they have personal reasons for that school so, if they go for free, what's the big deal?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”