Dropped Class in LSC GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TexasTemas12

New

Dropped Class in LSC GPA?

Post by TexasTemas12 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:30 am

Hello,

Quick question. In Texas (by law I think), all public universities offer students the chance to drop a class before the 50th day of the semester, without penalty, up to three times over an undergraduate career. It's known as a "Q-Drop".

I did this a couple times, and the Q on my transcript is not considered punitive by the University. Will they be counted as failing grades on my LSAC transcript GPA?

I'm not sure if it would be counted as a "NC" (No Credit) class according to LSAC, according to this statement from LSAC policies:
"A line drawn through course information or a grade does not eliminate the course from GPA calculation. NC grades are also included if the school indicates credit was attempted, but not earned, regardless of whether the school considers the grade to be punitive."
Any help would be much appreciated, especially from Texan undergrads who have had Qs.

mtirman

New

Re: Dropped Class in LSC GPA?

Post by mtirman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:41 am

I was worried about the same thing when I applied this fall.

First off, the Q's will not be counted as failing on your LSAC GPA calculation. It's only if you failed a class or your dropped the class because you were failing (There's different indications on transcripts, for instance at my school it was a W for withdraw or a WF for withdraw-fail). I had two W's on my transcript, but it didn't affect my LSAC GPA calculation.

However, too many of them might look suspicious to an admission committee, so I would suggest including an addendum that explains the circumstances around you dropping those classes.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”