Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?)

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

thederangedwang wrote:I think this is Philosopher King alt

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
bmore wrote:It is obvious to me why they made the choices they did.
Really? Why?
They probably saw right through your PS into what a douche you are. Law schools don't want people that suck. Neither do firms. Good luck with unemployment. HTH.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
tdolsen19 wrote:entitled much?
I noticed you’re retaking the LSAT, mostly due to the RC section. I’m sure you will do well and I hope you succeed on the February test.

If you do earn the score you need to get into your top choice and then you get denied, but a friend from undergrad. gets in with a score MUCH lower than yours, you will understand better. Also, if your GPA is 3.96 and his is 2.1, you may even become annoyed. Now let's say your major is Physics and his is Theatre--you might even get angry.
If you had auto admit numbers but got rejected, you had a bad app. If you didn't have auto admit numbers, you're being disingenuous.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:You sound like an entitled little brat.

No one is entitled to fucking anything. Especially not in the legal world.
I didn't realized I sounded like that.

I'm actually pretty humble. It appears you are transferring (hopefully) to Georgetown. I'm humble enough to say that I would never get into a school like that and that you seem much more talented than me.

boooooo.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:
I noticed you’re retaking the LSAT, mostly due to the RC section. I’m sure you will do well and I hope you succeed on the February test.

If you do earn the score you need to get into your top choice and then you get denied, but a friend from undergrad. gets in with a score MUCH lower than yours, you will understand better. Also, if your GPA is 3.96 and his is 2.1, you may even become annoyed. Now let's say your major is Physics and his is Theatre--you might even get angry.
If you had auto admit numbers but got rejected, you had a bad app. If you didn't have auto admit numbers, you're being disingenuous.
That's completely black or white. Isn't there any gray?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Killingly wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:

You should be happy for your friend and stop crying about it. Seriously.
Theater isn't as easy a major as people think (depending on the school). And many theater majors are double-majors in English and other challenging majors, and they often take courses outside of their majors.

You cannot tell by one's major how difficult their courseload is.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:
Really? Why?
They probably saw right through your PS into what a douche you are. Law schools don't want people that suck. Neither do firms. Good luck with unemployment. HTH.
Thank you. I never thought of that. The profession certainly does exclude douches and I will have to edit my personal statement now.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 pm

I give this trolling a C+ for effort.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Killingly wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:

You should be happy for your friend and stop crying about it. Seriously.
Theater isn't as easy a major as people think
I should not have used Theatre as an example; it's disrespectful to anyone in that major and I really don't know how hard it is. It just seems like a low GPA in an "easier" major should be given less weight than a higer GPA in a more difficult major. But as someone else helped me realize, I need to expand my mind and realize there are many factors weighed in the application process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:
Really? Why?
Thank you. I never thought of that. The profession certainly does exclude douches and I will have to edit my personal statement now.
Did kinda lol on this one

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:50 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I give this trolling a C+ for effort.
What is trolling?

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I give this trolling a C+ for effort.
What is trolling?
OP just outed himself.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Nevermind, I looked trolling up on Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

I can honestly say I was not purposely trying to provoke anyone. I was truly trying to vent with as much respect as possible. And a bunch of people made me realize I was acting like a child.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

You poor thing.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

Dany wrote:You poor thing.
Thank you for your sincere empathy.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Well, if you sounded half as an entitled asshole in your personal statement as you did itt, then it's honestly no mystery.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

vpintz wrote:Well, if you sounded half as an entitled asshole in your personal statement as you did itt, then it's honestly no mystery.
I appreciate your constructive feedback. Someone actually already gave me similar advice which provoked me to alter my personal statement and resubmit to make myself sound like a really nice guy. There certainly are no “entitled assholes” in the profession and I would never, ever want to come across as one.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

tmon wrote:Image
Dead. Also, hi BK.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 pm

tmon wrote:Image
I understand what you’re saying.

If I told you that I pretty much never use foul language, but then you heard me use the “F” word one time, it hardly blows apart my original statement.

To be more clear: I can be "pretty humble" without being 100% perfectly humble all the time.
Last edited by Esquire2Be on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

d.schoenfeld16

New

Post by d.schoenfeld16 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:

Did you have professors who knew you well write your recommendations or did you just get two professors who gave you good grades, yet didn't know you personally to write your LoR?

Did you draft and re-draft your PS, so that it was clear, concise, and had a very evident connection to your desire to practice law?

Did you make it evident that you really wanted to attend the school that ended up denying you?

Did you have any kind of work experience or extracurriculars to distinguish yourself beyond LSAT/GPA?

People on TLS tend to downplay the importance of all these things, but the reality is that law schools receive so many applicants with nearly identical numbers, that they need something else to distinguish between candidates in order to create the best, most diverse class possible. If you answered no or even have to think about your answer to one or more of these questions, well then you have your answer.
Last edited by d.schoenfeld16 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm

OP, your snarky deadpan sarcasm is getting to be a bit egregious.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:07 pm

d.schoenfeld16 wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:

Did you have professors who knew you well write your recommendations or did you just get two professors who gave you good grades, yet didn't know you personally to write your LoR?

Did you draft and re-draft your PS, so that it was clear, concise, and had a very evident connection to your desire to practice law?

Did you make it evident that you really wanted to attend the school that ended up denying you?

Did you have any kind of work experience or extracurriculars to distinguish yourself beyond LSAT/GPA?

People on TLS tend to downplay the importance of all these things, but the reality is that law schools receive so many applicants with nearly identical numbers, that they need something else to distinguish between candidates in order to create the best, most diverse class possible. If you answered no or even have to think about your answer to one or more of these questions, well then you have your answer.
stop feeding the troll, please.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 pm

While no one here would argue that GPA and LSAT are the most important factors, your first mistake was thinking your application and its "strength" are entirely based upon those two.

Your second mistake is relying on LSN to tell you everything about those "less qualified" candidates.

You don't know jack about them other than their LSAT and GPA. And even then, welcome to the internet; they might not even be legitimate applicants for all you know.

d.schoenfeld16 pointed out your other possible mistakes...

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 pm

d.schoenfeld16 wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:
You gave me some really great things to think about. For some reason, I was forgetting that there are THOUSANDS of applicants, hundreds who have similar numbers. That helps me realize I was thinking about this in the wrong way and how important those other factors are.
Last edited by Esquire2Be on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”