Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Esquire2Be

New

Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?)

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Anyone have any advice on how to emotionally deal with getting denied from two of my top choices and then seeing others get accepted with lower LSAT scores and much lower GPAs from significantly lower ranked schools with majors so unchallenging that it’s hard to believe they are even real majors?

I worked really hard in undergrad. in a really difficult major and earned an outstanding GPA and I worked even harder at my success on the LSAT. I don’t know how to handle seeing lesser qualified individuals get chosen over me.

Please do not discuss affirmative action, as it is against top-law-schools.com policy. I am looking for some honest and helpful advice.

Killingly

Silver

Re: Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?)

Post by Killingly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Just get over it. That's how you deal with it emotionally. If you don't like how your cycle played out, reapply.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Many applicants dismiss the personal statement. Don't.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Welcome to Life.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Killingly wrote:Just get over it. That's how you deal with it emotionally. If you don't like how your cycle played out, reapply.
Hypothetically speaking: If I applied to your top choice with not only lesser qualifications than you, but with numbers much lower than the lowest numbers of the applicants of the last entering class and I really have displayed nothing that proves I can handle the difficult law school curriculum, and then you got denied and I got accepted because I am a male, would it be easy to just “get over it”? You are right though, there is no other choice than to get over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
Killingly wrote:Just get over it. That's how you deal with it emotionally. If you don't like how your cycle played out, reapply.
Hypothetically speaking: If I applied to your top choice with not only lesser qualifications than you, but with numbers much lower than the lowest numbers of the applicants of the last entering class and I really have displayed nothing that proves I can handle the difficult law school curriculum, and then you got denied and I got accepted because I am a male, would it be easy to just “get over it”? You are right though, there is no other choice than to get over it.
Easy? Not necessarily. Necessary for future sanity? Yes.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
Hypothetically speaking: If I applied to your top choice with not only lesser qualifications than you, but with numbers much lower than the lowest numbers of the applicants of the last entering class and I really have displayed nothing that proves I can handle the difficult law school curriculum, and then you got denied and I got accepted because I am a male, would it easy to just “get over it”?
Listen, it sucks not to get into your top choice. There's no denying that. But you can't blame applicants who got in or the adcomms who accepted them.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Many applicants dismiss the personal statement. Don't.
Also, this whole post seems like a way of talking about AA without actually mentioning it by name.

Magena123

New

Post by Magena123 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Someone's vagina sounds sandy.

Srsly, how do you know they are all less qualified? They could have work experience and life experience that blows your K-JD resume out of the water. And if your attitude in your statements came across the way you are now, it's hardly surprising.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Well you sound delightful.

You have no idea what else in someone's application might recommend them. Thought dick like the rest of us and stop whining, because it makes you sound far too immature for someone seeking a professional degree.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Well you sound delightful.

You have no idea what else in someone's application might recommend them. Thought dick like the rest of us and stop whining, because it makes you sound far too immature for someone seeking a professional degree.
+1...just your screen name is bad enough

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

Thank you for your educated, logical, and helpful response "the deranged wang". I appreciate it greatly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tdolsen19

New

Post by tdolsen19 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:25 pm

entitled much?

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 pm

It is obvious to me why they made the choices they did.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Hahaha... Okay buddy. You sound too emotionally delicate for professional school. Reassess your life choices.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Thank you for your educated, logical, and helpful response "the deranged wang". I appreciate it greatly.
If only you were educated and logical when posting this thread...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Obvious AA Rant is Obvious. Get over it.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 pm

tdolsen19 wrote:entitled much?
I noticed you’re retaking the LSAT, mostly due to the RC section. I’m sure you will do well and I hope you succeed on the February test.

If you do earn the score you need to get into your top choice and then you get denied, but a friend from undergrad. gets in with a score MUCH lower than yours, you will understand better. Also, if your GPA is 3.96 and his is 2.1, you may even become annoyed. Now let's say your major is Physics and his is Theatre--you might even get angry.
Last edited by Esquire2Be on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 pm

bmore wrote:It is obvious to me why they made the choices they did.
Really? Why?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 pm

You sound like an entitled little brat.

No one is entitled to fucking anything. Especially not in the legal world.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to emotionally deal with getting denied from two of my top choices and then seeing others get accepted with lower LSAT scores and much lower GPAs from significantly lower ranked schools with majors so unchallenging that it’s hard to believe they are even real majors?
I worked really hard in undergrad. in a really difficult major and earned an outstanding GPA and I worked even harder at my success on the LSAT. I don’t know how to handle seeing lesser qualified individuals get chosen over me.

Please do not discuss affirmative action, as it is against top-law-schools.com policy. I am looking for some honest and helpful advice.
Check yourself! Your conception of what makes someone "qualified" is the problem, and you need to expand your mind. Those other people may have been equally or even more qualified, regardless of GPA or LSAT scores.

The people with the higher GPA's and test scores don't always make the best law students, let alone the best lawyers. Aside from that, you cannot say you are comparatively "more qualified" than another student without taking into account difficulty of major, difficulty of courses, and grade trends, along with soft factors such as work experience, community service, extra-curriculars, hardships, essays and interviews, and a host of other intangibles.

Then you must factor in the environment and the students already admitted. How do you know that these people ndid not provide a type of diversity (beyond race, gender or even geography) that you did not? This raises the question of "fit". Maybe you just didn't fit...or maybe you didn't apply early enough. Maybe you are not as good a writer as you think you are (something I have seen over and again on TLS).

Unless you have seen the entire profiles of these students, you are completely unqualified to assess whether or not someone is "lesser-qualified", and even if you were, your opinion would be yours alone.

Lastly, you have, indeed, baited some TLSers into an affirmative action debate; complaining that other theoretically lesser qualified people got in where you didn't and then advising against the debate is disengenuous. You sound like a self-entitled crybaby.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 pm

I think this is Philosopher King alt

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 pm

TTRansfer wrote:You sound like an entitled little brat.

No one is entitled to fucking anything. Especially not in the legal world.
I didn't realized I sounded like that.

I'm actually pretty humble. It appears you are transferring (hopefully) to Georgetown. I'm humble enough to say that I would never get into a school like that and that you seem much more talented than me.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
tdolsen19 wrote:entitled much?
I noticed you’re retaking the LSAT, mostly due to the RC section. I’m sure you will do well and I hope you succeed on the February test.

If you do earn the score you need to get into your top choice and then you get denied, but a friend from undergrad. gets in with a score MUCH lower than yours, you will understand better. Also, if your GPA is 3.96 and his is 2.1, you may even become annoyed. Now let's say your major is Physics and his is Theatre--you might even get angry.
You should be happy for your friend and stop crying about it. Seriously.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”