What are my chances for Fall 2012 Admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sailormoon

New

What are my chances for Fall 2012 Admission?

Post by sailormoon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 am

The numbers so far.

LSDA GPA: 3.97
LSAT (December 2011): 156
Underrepresented Minority and Very Strong Soft (13 years of progressive community service and numerous awards)

The convoluted and confusing english in LSAT gets me. I suppose they were meant to trick careless examiners but to me the work is twice since many times, I have to translate the phrases in my mind on my native language so I can fully digest its meaning and context. With the time constraint, this is even harder. I know it's not my illogical mind because I was actually tested with a "Very Superior" IQ as a child and has always been top in my math classes (undergraduate coursework is heavily quantitative including advance level mathematics and an ample amount of interdisciplinary liberal arts classes that involved rigorous reading, research and writing). I don't think more than a decade of occasional drinking deteriorated it to "Average." Nonetheless, after receiving my disappointing score, I honed my english by critically reading literatures: I started reading two books, The Illiad and Oddysey and Guns, Germs and Steel, an hour each every day; and starting over again with LSAT basics: I read McGraw-Hill's 2012 LSAT from cover to cover. I have been in this self-inflicted LSAT Bootcamp for two weeks and as of today, I am scoring 168 on practice tests. I am about to read the SuperPrep from LSAC, hopefully that will push me to the 170s.

I am re-taking LSAT this February and hoping to get more than 168. Even so, I maybe just a little too late.

I had an LSAC fee waiver so I basically blanketed the top schools from the west and east coast, which are my preferred location. What are my chances? Should I wait next year? Should I go to an ok school and transfer (this appeals to me since I am already 29 and wanting to begin my legal career as early as possible)? With my future career goals, going to a top 20 or if possible top 5 school seems imperative. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. :)

Davidbentley

Bronze

Re: What are my chances for Fall 2012 Admission?

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:23 am

If I were you, I would continue studying and take the June administration. If you can hit the high 160s/17x then youll have a great shot at a school worth attending. Do not plan on transferring. As for the age thing, think of it this way: you'll live till eighty. That leaves plenty of time to work the grindstone.

As an added piece of wisdom, if you happen to score significantly better and desire to write an addendum explaining your large improvement, avoid anything that sounds like/references the "very superior" line.

sailormoon

New

Post by sailormoon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 am

thanks! in the addendum, i would just focus on the extra work and preparation, realizing my limitations (e.g. english, vocabulary, etc.) and working on it.

sailormoon

New

Post by sailormoon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 am

As to the "very superior" reference, it was just a statement of fact. While in 10th grade in the philippines, we were required to take a nationally administered IQ test (not sure if they still do this now) and my paper was returned to me with a note saying "very superior" IQ. I was told by the school principal that I should be proud because it is the highest score you can get. Anyways, I only wrote it in the posting to express how frustrated I am because language is limiting me even though i know i can do better. Especially, if it is true that LSAT tests how you think and not what you know. Oh well, no need to dwell, just fix the problem.

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 am

Wait until next year. With that GPA, and URM status, you can make HYS with moderate to substantial improvement. Also, this should be in the "What Are My Chances" forum.

Edit:
Maybe practicing English instead of LSAT would be more beneficial. Once you can think in English instead of having to mentally translate the test, that should result in huge score gains.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Are you Filipino? If so that isn't classified as URM.

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 pm

sach1282 wrote: Maybe practicing English instead of LSAT would be more beneficial. Once you can think in English instead of having to mentally translate the test, that should result in huge score gains.

Yes, you need to improve your English comprehension before you can really make gains on the LSAT. No translating should be necessary. Get an English tutor, read books and poetry in English, and spend as much time as you can speaking in English with native speakers. The reading comprehension should be your highest priority, but I've found that working on oral comprehension and speaking skills greatly enhances reading comprehension skills.

note: this is my experience from learning a different language, I am a native English speaker :wink:

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 pm

I teach English as a foreign language. I think that although your English is great it is probably what is holding you back. The LSAT tests shades of meaning making it difficult for non native speakers. I would read lots of op-ed in newspapers and the Economist.

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:18 pm

soitgoes9 wrote: The LSAT tests shades of meaning making it difficult for non native speakers
This may seem a bit weird, but I found that reading poetry (trying to really comprehend it) in a foreign language forces you to look for "shades of meaning" that might get lost in reading an op-ed piece, for example. You are constantly thinking about what they are trying to convey instead of what they are actually saying.

That is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to share :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm

caminante wrote:
soitgoes9 wrote: The LSAT tests shades of meaning making it difficult for non native speakers
This may seem a bit weird, but I found that reading poetry (trying to really comprehend it) in a foreign language forces you to look for "shades of meaning" that might get lost in reading an op-ed piece, for example. You are constantly thinking about what they are trying to convey instead of what they are actually saying.

That is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to share :)

This is a good idea, the op should try it esp. if they can quickly read other heavy stuff quickly with great comprehension.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sailormoon

New

Post by sailormoon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:34 pm

strongest: Logic Games (could perfect this section)
weakest: Reading Comp

wow! all of u r insightful!

if i didn't get into the schools I want, I will most possibly just hold it until next year!

thanks everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”