code of conduct questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
braves1

New

code of conduct questions

Post by braves1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 pm

I have a few questions about the best way to explain a DUI in a code of conduct addendum. How much detail should I provide about the actual night of the arrest and the court case? Also, how long should my report be, one paragraph, a page?? Also I have two speeding tickets, neither over 15mph over, and both dating back to high school and freshman year of college. Do I have to explain those in my code of conduct paper as well?

Let me know what you think!!
Thanks

Philosopher King

Bronze

Re: code of conduct questions

Post by Philosopher King » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:26 am

In my opinion you should explain the speeding tickets. Hear from other people too though. Speeding tickets may be too common to explain. I don't know.

KRog

New

Post by KRog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:28 am

I had three or four speeding tickets. Only one was fairly recent (2008), and it was the only one I could remember the situation for I didn't write an explanation for any of them. I listed the fines and said that I intend to maintain a clean driving record in the future. This has not impacted my cycle negatively at all. I think schools understand, particularly when you have something else on there for which you express sincere remorse.

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 am

This is a very uncomfortable thing to write. I think the important thing is to make it very easy for the person to read by sticking to the facts for the majority of it, and save your contrition to the very end. I think the admissions committee will be looking for two things:
1) Description of arrest
2) Circumstances
3) Contrition
Make it organized so that someone could easily extract those two things from the description. This is just my sense of how it should. I have no special qualifications.

1. 1st paragraph. 3-4 sentences.
- On such and such date, I was arrested for BLANK.
- I was charged with BLANK, and sentenced to BLANK.
- ON such and such date, I completed my sentence/treatement/whatever. (if applies).
- On such and such date, the charge was expunged / reduced to BLANK (if applies).

2a. Short paragraph describing incident. STICK TO THE FACTS. I went to a birthday party with a friend. Over the course of BLANK hours, I consumed 4-5 drinks. I attempted to drive home, and was pulled over by the police, resulting in my arrest.

2b. History of behavior. 3-4 sentences. (Before then, I had never driven drunk). OR (This was a time in my life when I did not appreciate the risks I was taking).

3. Express regret. 4-5 sentences expressing regret, impact it has had on your life, and any corrective steps you have taken to prevent in the future.

Make it as succinct as possible. When you've finished, show it to a friend to see what they think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”