Newark Schools-SHU/Rutgers, I am worried about crime. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
victortsoi

Bronze

Newark Schools-SHU/Rutgers, I am worried about crime.

Post by victortsoi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 am

Long story short, I am a born and raised new yorker living walking distance from Penn Station and Grand Central in midtown NYC, and of course I am hoping for the best from fordham, cardozo, brooklyn, etc...
Rutgers/Seton Hall/ St. John's are my safeties.
However, because of where I live, the Newark schools are far closer to me via nj transit (more expensive, but 20 minutes) than St. John's, which might take up to an hour to get to. I do not have the option to relocate, unfortunately.
My big question is, simply, assuming I come to terms with the purely academic pros and cons of going to SHU/Rutgers, am I putting myself in danger of serious crime commuting between Newark and NYC every day? Will I have to leave group study sessions to catch the "not too late" train back home?
Is it that bad?

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Newark Schools-SHU/Rutgers, I am worried about crime.

Post by bp shinners » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:39 pm

It's not that bad. I have tons of friends who went to Rutgers-Newark (for undergrad), and they never had problems.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

hello fellow new yorker :)

i've heard the area around rutgers-newark is kind of sketchy, but there are busses that students take so as to bypass the area. shu is pretty much right near the path train station, which is pretty much always safe to take (in my experience).

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:37 pm

the biggest crime of all is paying tuition to those schools.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Newark isn't bad at all if you have common sense. There are certain areas you avoid just like other major cities. Transit to NYC is really simple and I never had a problem with crime or anything like that when I lived there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”