Sit out or Retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sr15z

New

Sit out or Retake?

Post by sr15z » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Here is my profile. My applications are already in and I am just awaiting a response, but I know that a hard rain is going to fall. If I end up not getting into my desired schools (Indiana/Wash(MO)/UT(reach)) and was looking at either Tulane or Alabama (still a reach IMO), would it be worth it to just wait out a year and retake the LSAT? I didn't study a ton the first time because I was working and taking 20 hours of school but I did make an effort. I did the math on my cumulative GPA and best case scenario by the end of the semester I can move it to a 3.83.

If I did sit out, what would I do the entire year besides take a Kaplan class or 10 and avert the shameful gaze of my parents?
Alternatively, I have also debated going to a much smaller school like Texas Tech or OU where I could get my JD and MBA. but I just don't know so that's why I posted.

LSDAS: Cumulative GPA 3.79(All B's were in my first two semesters), Degree- 3.92
LSAT: 160
Major: Political Science
Softs:
2 Internships with the Department of Defense as an Engineer.
1st Generation college student,
Graduating 1 year early,
Non URM Male.

Thanks

Smumps

Bronze

Re: Sit out or Retake?

Post by Smumps » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:48 pm

First, I'd prefer to kill you and steal your GPA.

Real answer, if I were you:

I'd retake. There are a number of fantastic LSAT guides on TLS. The most basic advice -- take a million practice tests, dwell over what you're doing wrong, and fix it. No need for a prep class. I would study my ass off, take June, and get a 170+.

Then I'd go to CCN.

You're welcome.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Here is my profile.

Sit out a year and retake. Then, enjoy the T6.

sr15z

New

Post by sr15z » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Smumps wrote:First, I'd prefer to kill you and steal your GPA.

Real answer, if I were you:

I'd retake. There are a number of fantastic LSAT guides on TLS. The most basic advice -- take a million practice tests, dwell over what you're doing wrong, and fix it. No need for a prep class. I would study my ass off, take June, and get a 170+.

Then I'd go to CCN.

You're welcome.
To flesh out my studying, I took maybe 4 practice tests in June/July and saw minimal improvement, and I had 2 LSAT study guides which I really didn't read a whole lot but I did look at the diagrams for the logic games (still sucked at them). I didnt study at all in august and took the September one. Do you still think i will improve? Also FTR, I wouldnt mind going to any of those schools, but if I am lucky enough to get in, I know I won't be getting that much money to go and they are almost prohibitively expense for my family (i get full grants from FAFSA).

What would I need to do to go HYS? or is it impossible at this point?

Thanks for the help.

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm

To flesh out my studying, I took maybe 4 practice tests in June/July and saw minimal improvement, and I had 2 LSAT study guides which I really didn't read a whole lot but I did look at the diagrams for the logic games (still sucked at them). I didnt study at all in august and took the September one. Do you still think i will improve? Also FTR, I wouldnt mind going to any of those schools, but if I am lucky enough to get in, I know I won't be getting that much money to go and they are almost prohibitively expense for my family (i get full grants from FAFSA).

Thanks for the help.
No offense (and this is good news), your studying process sucked. Really sucked. This is good news as it means you can probably experience a large improvement. If you hit 160 on that, 170 is completely possible. Again, there are fantastic guides on TLS. Many involve taking 40+ practice tests. Do it.

Check out LSN and LSP for what it would take for HYS. I think with a 172+, you have an excellent chance. At that score you would also get massive scholarships from many of the t14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sr15z

New

Post by sr15z » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Smumps wrote:

Thanks for the help.
No offense (and this is good news), your studying process sucked. Really sucked. This is good news as it means you can probably experience a large improvement. If you hit 160 on that, 170 is completely possible. Again, there are fantastic guides on TLS. Many involve taking 40+ practice tests. Do it.

Check out LSN and LSP for what it would take for HYS. I think with a 172+, you have an excellent chance. At that score you would also get massive scholarships from many of the t14.
Thanks again, I thought I could be sly and google LSN and LSP but i get Local Sales Network and Louisiana State Police, perhaps these foreshadow my future as a washout but I imagine you meant something else?

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 pm

I hope that is not your future!

lawschoolnumbers.com
lawschoolpredictor.com

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Seriously? SIT OUT!!!

fakehunter

Bronze

Post by fakehunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Also, if you increase your score by a ton, you could probably get a very substantial scholarship at a school like WUSTL, which you listed as one of your current desired schools. If money is an issue, sitting out could be a really good thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sr15z

New

Post by sr15z » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 am

If I sat out, would missing a whole year look bad? It would leave a big whole in my resume. Is there anything I could do to fill it that could help my chances even more? I get the impression that a score 170 or above is necessary for scholarship, is that correct more or less? I knew I didn't qualify so I did not really bother researching enough to get a specific idea of the score.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 am

Sit out, retake it, find a job for a year, do interesting stuff. With your GPA and experience you should have no trouble finding a great job and going to law school at a much better school than most of us here :D

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

sr15z wrote:If I sat out, would missing a whole year look bad? It would leave a big whole in my resume. Is there anything I could do to fill it that could help my chances even more? I get the impression that a score 170 or above is necessary for scholarship, is that correct more or less? I knew I didn't qualify so I did not really bother researching enough to get a specific idea of the score.
No, 170 is not necessary for a scholarship. But it sure helps. And yes, a one year gap would look bad, so do something interesting! Work and do some volunteering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”