Softs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
twenty

Gold

Softs?

Post by twenty » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Last edited by twenty on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitbrain

Silver

Re: Softs?

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Edit: nevermind. See my response below.
Last edited by splitbrain on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm

none of these things matter except for your heritage and URM status.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:18 pm

twentypercentmore wrote: I have my black belt. - Mention in a hobby section of your resume - I think it's an interesting soft and, who knows, you might be reviewed by an admin that can relate.
1st place at several college debate tournaments. - Mention under awards and accolades on your resume
I'm Mexican-American. (Would it be better to say Hispanic?) - There will be specific boxes to check on your applications for this.
I'm a "volunteer TA" to teaching ESL students speech and debate. - You can have a volunteering section on your resume
I have two years of work experience with the feds monitoring multi-million dollar contracts. - I'm hoping you already have a resume and that this is on it. I am assuming this is full time work experience?
I graduated college at 19. - Ignore, but it could be something to tastefully include on your resume.
I volunteer at foreclosure prevention events to help people keep their homes. - Volunteer section on resume
I'm on a volunteer fire department crew. - Volunteer section on resume
I'm the head coach for a highschool debate team (unpaid). - Volunteer section on resume
I'm the assistant coach for a college debate team. (paid). - Resume

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

splitbrain wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote: I have my black belt. - Mention in a hobby section of your resume - I think it's an interesting soft and, who knows, you might be reviewed by an admin that can relate.
1st place at several college debate tournaments. - Mention under awards and accolades on your resume
I'm Mexican-American. (Would it be better to say Hispanic?) - There will be specific boxes to check on your applications for this.
I'm a "volunteer TA" to teaching ESL students speech and debate. - You can have a volunteering section on your resume
I have two years of work experience with the feds monitoring multi-million dollar contracts. - I'm hoping you already have a resume and that this is on it. I am assuming this is full time work experience?
I graduated college at 19. - Ignore, but it could be something to tastefully include on your resume.
I volunteer at foreclosure prevention events to help people keep their homes. - Volunteer section on resume
I'm on a volunteer fire department crew. - Volunteer section on resume
I'm the head coach for a highschool debate team (unpaid). - Volunteer section on resume
I'm the assistant coach for a college debate team. (paid). - Resume
Mostly agree. Mild disagreement:
-No need to mention at what age you graduated college. Doesn't really say anything about your talents that your GPA doesn't say. Sounds a bit bratty in my opinion.

But the rest should all go in "volunteering" or "community service" or "extracurricular" sections of your resume. The most valuable (other than heritage, which you will be given the chance to indicate on their apps) is the contract WE with the feds. Other than that these are all good things but nothing that will significantly change your chances. As a whole, they will fill up your resume, which is all you need to do on your resume anyways. And you can pick one (or several complementary) experience(s) and use them to write a compelling personal statement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”