Withdrawing Apps Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Onthebrink

Bronze

Withdrawing Apps

Post by Onthebrink » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am

There have been some debates on the proper way to withdraw your apps from law schools, what I haven't seen much of is when everyone deems it appropriate to actually withdraw them. Maybe appropriate isn't the right word but hear me out. I go to a good state school. I applied to a great number of schools. I had fee waivers for a lot of them but I paid for my fair share. I am lucky enough to have slipped through the cracks and gotten into some phenomenal schools. I am still waiting on responses from a lot of other schools but I probably have my school right now barring an HYS acceptance. Now, I know that I don't have to withdraw my apps and that I can leverage scholarship offers to somewhat ameliorate the exorbitant cost of law school but I blanketed the T-14 and don't want to take the chance of taking a spot from someone from my school or one of my fellow TLSers in the process. I withdrew two apps so far, one to a t-14 one to a t-25 but I wanted to get TLS thoughts on this topic.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Withdrawing Apps

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Withdraw when you know you won't be attending, and if holding an acceptance to that school isn't useful for leveraging money from the schools you ARE interested in. (i.e. too low-ranked and/or not enough money offered)

ben4847

Silver

Re: Withdrawing Apps

Post by ben4847 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Onthebrink wrote:There have been some debates on the proper way to withdraw your apps from law schools, what I haven't seen much of is when everyone deems it appropriate to actually withdraw them. Maybe appropriate isn't the right word but hear me out. I go to a good state school. I applied to a great number of schools. I had fee waivers for a lot of them but I paid for my fair share. I am lucky enough to have slipped through the cracks and gotten into some phenomenal schools. I am still waiting on responses from a lot of other schools but I probably have my school right now barring an HYS acceptance. Now, I know that I don't have to withdraw my apps and that I can leverage scholarship offers to somewhat ameliorate the exorbitant cost of law school but I blanketed the T-14 and don't want to take the chance of taking a spot from someone from my school or one of my fellow TLSers in the process. I withdrew two apps so far, one to a t-14 one to a t-25 but I wanted to get TLS thoughts on this topic.
It is nice of you. But people here have extorted some serious cash by leveraging schools against each other.
Maybe I'm a jerk, but if I can use my acceptances to get 50 or 100k, and it means someone will find out later that they are getting in to a school, I'm gonna do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”