Applying two years in a row Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
foolie

New

Applying two years in a row

Post by foolie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm

For a variety of reasons, but mainly just my own mistakes, I'm late in the application process. My scores are such that I was planning on applying towards the lower end of the T14 to get in, as well as my state school in hopes for a beefy scholarship to complement in-state tuition...at least, that's what I'd expect if I'd applied before Christmas. I know that my chances of admission have decreased some, and that my chances at scholarship have probably decreased significantly. So, I'm thinking of waiting to apply for 2013.

I am genuinely curious about my prospects however, (not to mention my parents expect me to have already applied) so I wonder if I can apply this year and still apply to the same schools next year without any negative impact. Would a school really change its response to me even if my application remains essentially the same? (I know it would behoove me to use the time between wisely, but it's not likely that I'll get some flashy job soon.) Can I use the same LoRs that LSAC has on file? Would I need a new (or at least updated) personal statement?

Thanks for any input.

foolie

New

Re: Applying two years in a row

Post by foolie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

bump-o

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm pretty sure your app would have to look somewhat different... even if it is just writing a new PS or an updated Resume or different LOR's. I would apply now, it's late in the cycle but you could get waitlisted and then when people start withdrawing they could call on you.

80eight

Bronze

Post by 80eight » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I would wait, if you can. I think that is always the better option, and why waste the money on applications now, when you won't do as well than if you apply earlier next cycle?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 pm

80eight wrote:I would wait, if you can. I think that is always the better option, and why waste the money on applications now, when you won't do as well than if you apply earlier next cycle?
I do agree with this except OP said they wouldn't be able to put that year to good use which could be looked down upon. And also what about OP's parents that think op already applied?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

80eight

Bronze

Post by 80eight » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:49 pm

JoeMo wrote:
80eight wrote:I would wait, if you can. I think that is always the better option, and why waste the money on applications now, when you won't do as well than if you apply earlier next cycle?
I do agree with this except OP said they wouldn't be able to put that year to good use which could be looked down upon. And also what about OP's parents that think op already applied?
A) Aw, I don't believe that! There are sooo many ways to put a year to good use, don't you think?
B) OP is an adult

ETA: OP, you CAN use the same LORs and essays two years in a row, and I don't think it will necessarily look bad, but I just think it's kind of silly, and a waste of money. If you can wait until next year, I don't think its worth it to apply now just to satisfy your curiosity.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm

80eight wrote: A) Aw, I don't believe that! There are sooo many ways to put a year to good use, don't you think?
lol. You're fairly insulated from this economy I take it?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Gail wrote:
80eight wrote: A) Aw, I don't believe that! There are sooo many ways to put a year to good use, don't you think?
Take a couple of classes to put off student loan repayment and volunteer a lot. Everyone wins.

Yes retake and reapply if you are not happy with what you got. It won't be worse next cycle, can only be better.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gail wrote:
Take a couple of classes to put off student loan repayment and volunteer a lot. Everyone wins.

Yes retake and reapply if you are not happy with what you got. It won't be worse next cycle, can only be better.
Classes aren't free. Nor, quite frankly, is volunteering. I can't afford either. I recently just got something that will hold me over, but I'm in a minority. If I had to estimate, 60% of my classmates are going to be unemployed for over 6 months and underemployed for years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Gail wrote: Classes aren't free. Nor, quite frankly, is volunteering. I can't afford either. I recently just got something that will hold me over, but I'm in a minority. If I had to estimate, 60% of my classmates are going to be unemployed for over 6 months and underemployed for years.
So why did you disagree with comment that one could find ways to put the year to good use? You are not representative of everyone, and even you manage to find something.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:00 am

r6_philly wrote:
Gail wrote: Classes aren't free. Nor, quite frankly, is volunteering. I can't afford either. I recently just got something that will hold me over, but I'm in a minority. If I had to estimate, 60% of my classmates are going to be unemployed for over 6 months and underemployed for years.
So why did you disagree with comment that one could find ways to put the year to good use? You are not representative of everyone, and even you manage to find something.
I'm not sure what you mean. Someone can find something to do? Yes, I suppose. And they can also live under a bridge, although that will make the address for next year's applications difficult.

If you can't afford more classes or to drive every day to set up musical chairs for kindergarteners for free, and you can't find a job, what are you going to do?

The original statement was that there are so many things you can do to put a year to good use. I'm saying that many people cannot. That's a real problem.

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am

From personal experience, I would only do this if you are able to do something over the next year that will make your application stronger than it is this year.

I applied 2 years ago and got into several really good schools. I was planning on attending one of them (I paid the tuition deposit and even put a $800 deposit down on an apartment), but at the last minute I ended up deciding not to attend law school that year due to a combination of family circumstances and a great job opportunity that I hope to build upon with my post-law school career.

I have spoken with members of admission councils that have told me that it makes them wonder how committed an applicant is to law school if they see that they had applied previously and decided not to attend. I was encouraged by one of them to write an addendum or additional essay explaining why I decided not to attend the last time applied (this was one of the schools that accepted me last time, so I can understand why thy might be more hesitant to do so again). I received an email from another school that would not accept my letters of recommendation because I has submitted them in a previous year. I had to go out and get new letters of recommendation (which likely were not as strong as the ones I had submitted earlier since I was further removed from undergrad and I'm sure that my professors did not remember specifics about my academic performance as well as they had 2 years earlier). I was told outright by another school that in general, second time applicants are looked at more closely and how the applicant chose to use the time between the applications is considered in the decision process.

Luckily for me, my cycle has worked out fairly well this year and I am glad that I decided to wait a couple more years to enter law school. In my case, I think that the work experience I gained has helped me and has balanced out the negative aspects of reapplying.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:31 am

Gail wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Someone can find something to do? Yes, I suppose. And they can also live under a bridge, although that will make the address for next year's applications difficult.

If you can't afford more classes or to drive every day to set up musical chairs for kindergarteners for free, and you can't find a job, what are you going to do?

The original statement was that there are so many things you can do to put a year to good use. I'm saying that many people cannot. That's a real problem.
But you have no idea if OP cannot. Those possibilities are not foreclosed until it's proven that OP cannot take those routes.

The point is to provide possibilities for OP to consider. I am sorry you have limited opportunities, but I am not sure that the majority of people applying to law school can't consider those possibilities.

Cost $600 a semester to take 2 classes to stave off loan payment here. BTW. You can still borrow enough subsidized loans to cover that amount if you had to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 am

r6_philly wrote: But you have no idea if OP cannot. Those possibilities are not foreclosed until it's proven that OP cannot take those routes.

The point is to provide possibilities for OP to consider. I am sorry you have limited opportunities, but I am not sure that the majority of people applying to law school can't consider those possibilities.

Cost $600 a semester to take 2 classes to stave off loan payment here. BTW. You can still borrow enough subsidized loans to cover that amount if you had to.
I don't know what I'm even arguing about anymore. So fine. I have a fine opportunity, btw. I feel lucky though. Can't imagine what other people feel.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:55 am

Gail wrote:
I don't know what I'm even arguing about anymore. So fine. I have a fine opportunity, btw. I feel lucky though. Can't imagine what other people feel.

So you basically are telling people - I have a great opportunity, but you shouldn't count on it because most people can't have it. Ok got it. Thank you for the input.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
Gail wrote:

So you basically are telling people - I have a great opportunity, but you shouldn't count on it because most people can't have it. Ok got it. Thank you for the input.
I'm saying that I lucked into it and a lot of people won't be that lucky. I'm saying that there is a real problem of underemployment and unemployment for new graduates. I'm saying that this can be a concern for people that want to advance in education while not being able to put something tremendously impressive on their resume.

And no. You probably shouldn't count on luck. Just a general rule that I have.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Gail wrote:
I'm saying that I lucked into it and a lot of people won't be that lucky. I'm saying that there is a real problem of underemployment and unemployment for new graduates. I'm saying that this can be a concern for people that want to advance in education while not being able to put something tremendously impressive on their resume.

And no. You probably shouldn't count on luck. Just a general rule that I have.
This only applies to certain majors from certain schools with certain backgrounds that lack resources to support a year off. I simply think your generalization is unwise.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:31 pm

To OP, since this has digressed a bit, it does look bad to apply to the same school two years in a row with no significant changes in your application package if you are rejected the first time.

They'll know that you applied this year, and they'll know what the decision was. If you were rejected, they'll want to know why you shouldn't be rejected this year. You should have an answer for them. That answer should be, "My LSAT is higher!/I have a great year of WE/Here's a ridiculously polished PS that's much better than last year!" in order of import.

Will applying with the same package automatically lead to a rejection? No. But the presumption will be that they're going to reject you again, and that's not something you want to work against.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”