Seat deposit question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beezy08

Bronze

Seat deposit question

Post by beezy08 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:17 pm

My problem: a school that I am really interested in (School X) has its ASW about a day before the seat deposit of the other school that I am really interested in (School Y) is due. I was planning on trying to negotiate more money from School X right after their ASW, but if I can't get that money, I would probably attend School Y. Is it appropriate to put down the deposit at School Y just incase, and is this even allowed?

Of course, if I could negotiate earlier, that would make this problem go away, but from what I understand it's better to do so after a visit (or am I wrong?). I do have better offers on the table from peer schools, but none from superior schools.

ColtsFan88

Silver

Re: Seat deposit question

Post by ColtsFan88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 pm

While it may be "frowned upon" to put seat deposits down before you know you will attend, it is certainly "allowed" especially in your circumstances.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I *think* some seat deposits may be binding, but most aren't. I know plenty of people put down multiple deposits as ASW time approached last year so they could have more time to visit schools before deciding.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Plenty of people multi-deposit for the first deposit. It's fine then. You'll run into problems if you multi-deposit on the second one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”