law school resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
matt690

New

law school resume

Post by matt690 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Have a few quick law school resume questions:

If I took Spanish for 4 years in high school and can have conversations in Spanish, should I have a section that says Languages and write "conversational Spanish" ?

I heard a law school resume can be more than 1 page? Should I try to avoid this?

Do I need to bullet point leadership / activities (what the job or club was), or should I just do this for the job section?

Should I have a section that says Hobbies - and put music, traveling, cooking (several people said to consider doing this)?

Thanks.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: law school resume

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I would certainly include a spoken language somewhere, but someone else will have to comment on how to list it.

Resumes can be more than one page IF you have sufficient material to warrant it. This usually means multiple years and multiple jobs of post-grad work experience. 99.9% of K-JD applicants should be able to fit their resume on one page. (It shouldn't include any high school-era stuff short of Olympic gold medals, by the way.)

Just list clubs/offices held. They don't need detail.

Have a section called 'Personal' and list hobbies and other things that make you sound well-rounded. Mine says "Interests include snowboarding, recreational ice hockey, camping, digital photography and art, cooking, and reading fiction."

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Resumes can be more than one page IF you have sufficient material to warrant it. This usually means multiple years and multiple jobs of post-grad work experience. 99.9% of K-JD applicants should be able to fit their resume on one page. (It shouldn't include any high school-era stuff short of Olympic gold medals, by the way.)
Tradition states that a resume should stick to one page but we seem to be moving towards multiple page resumes in an effort to distinguish ourselves. However, I would not go onto multiple pages unless I could fill up the entire page; it looks strange to have a 1 and 1/2 page resume. To echo what was said above, if you are K-JD, you do not have enough that is worthwhile to go beyond one page.

Do a little forum search on the topic for more complete answers.

matt690

New

Post by matt690 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks so much, really apprecaite it!

Should I list my interests all on one line, or do I need to bullet them like everything else (don't want to waste lines with one word bullets).

Thanks again.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 pm

matt690 wrote:Thanks so much, really apprecaite it!

Should I list my interests all on one line, or do I need to bullet them like everything else (don't want to waste lines with one word bullets).

Thanks again.
One sentence ("Interests include....") is fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”