does it look bad to be accepted, then re-apply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hazedandconfused

New

does it look bad to be accepted, then re-apply?

Post by hazedandconfused » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi all,

First off, thank you to everyone who's been so knowledgeable and helpful in these forums - they've been a lifesaver.

Second, I'm in a bit of a weird situation and am seeking advice. I took the October LSAT, and secured promises to write rec letters from profs over the summer. However, they ended up not submitting their rec letters until this week (my materials are complete aside from that now). I feel like I still have a good shot at some of the T14, such as Georgetown or UT (my stats: 175/3.67, lots of community service and campus involvement from undergrad, 2 years of policy/economics full-time work experience) but I'm worried that applying this late will jeopardize my chances at some of my "reach" schools (for example, Columbia).

I am currently employed and could keep my job (investment banking) for another year to re-apply in Fall '12, but I really don't want to. I'm frankly sick of it and really, really want to go to law school ASAP. However, I don't want to "settle" for a school, knowing that I could have gotten in elsewhere had I applied earlier.

Thus, my question: should I just try anyway and apply everywhere now? If I don't get into any of my "reach" schools and decide to re-apply next fall, will the schools that I did get into this cycle (assuming there are any) hold that against me and refuse to re-admit me?

Any input or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Re: does it look bad to be accepted, then re-apply?

Post by YankeeFan2 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:07 pm

yes

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:20 pm

hazedandconfused wrote: Thus, my question: should I just try anyway and apply everywhere now? If I don't get into any of my "reach" schools and decide to re-apply next fall, will the schools that I did get into this cycle (assuming there are any) hold that against me and refuse to re-admit me?

Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't attend. Problem solved.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
hazedandconfused wrote: Thus, my question: should I just try anyway and apply everywhere now? If I don't get into any of my "reach" schools and decide to re-apply next fall, will the schools that I did get into this cycle (assuming there are any) hold that against me and refuse to re-admit me?

Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't attend. Problem solved.
Yeah, agree. Also, you still have a pretty good shot at Columbia if you submit basically now. Most of the people around your hypothetical submit date last year seem to have been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted in a way that's consistent with the numbers of applicants earlier in the cycle. Good luck!

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:49 pm

snehpets wrote: Yeah, agree. Also, you still have a pretty good shot at Columbia if you submit basically now. Most of the people around your hypothetical submit date last year seem to have been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted in a way that's consistent with the numbers of applicants earlier in the cycle. Good luck!
With those numbers I would apply to 1 of HYS, all of CCNMVPB. Cast a wide net. I think you'll be fine as long as you submit your applications ASAP. Really, you're just barely late at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Yes, since you didn't defer.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 pm

enjoy Harvard, Chicago, Colombia, or NYU, dude

hazedandconfused

New

Post by hazedandconfused » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone. I'm finishing up apps now, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:36 am

No, I was accepted to Michigan. Did not accept. Reapply and accepted again. Just have a reasonable reason.

I applied in March after taking Feb LSAT. I had the same exact concerns, and ended up on a lot of waitlists. You go to school when you are ready and willing. Good schools are generally really understandable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”