Better GPA and DUI addendums? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Duramax80

Bronze

Better GPA and DUI addendums?

Post by Duramax80 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Can you see any room for improvement?

DUI ADDENDUM:
On December 12, 2007, I was arrested for DUI in (CITY, STATE), citation number XXXXXX. After being arrested, I enrolled myself into a defensive driving course on my own accord, which I completed. When I appeared in court, I was given the opportunity to plead guilty to reckless driving, and paid a fine of $ 1,271.00. Aside from the judicial fines, I was also forced to appear before the Student Judicial Board at my university. I completed an online alcohol education program as well as forty hours of community service. All of the requirements associated with my offense have been successfully completed.
Looking back, being arrested for DUI is the most shameful and dishonorable experience of my life. However, it undoubtedly allowed me to recognize my faults and reevaluate my life and actions. Since that time, I have grown and matured as an individual, and I look back at that instance as a painful lesson learned. I no longer see operating a vehicle after consuming alcohol as an option, and if I do not have a safe method home, I abstain from drinking. I fully realize the severity of my past actions, and both my criminal and driving history has remained free from any sort of violation whatsoever.

GPA ADDENDUM:
Starting college in 2006, I lacked direction in what field of study I wanted to partake in, causing me to essentially test out several different courses. Then, in 2008, I suffered from depression upon the death of two very close friends. The following semester, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis, and had to medically withdraw from all of my classes. Medical documentation can be provided upon request. However, after fully recuperating from both of these factors, which severely impacted my performance, I entered back into my undergraduate career to continue my education. In the spring of 2010, I enrolled into a law class, and found my drive and direction I had been lacking thus far. I transformed myself into a disciplined and motivated student, and committed myself to taking my studies seriously, which led to a significant improvement in my performance as a student, and which I believe, demonstrates my true academic capabilities.

Duramax80

Bronze

Re: Better GPA and DUI addendums?

Post by Duramax80 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Would it be incorrect to assume that with 30 views and no responses that each addendum is solid and ready to go?

ADks

New

Post by ADks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:16 pm

I think their both pretty good. The second paragraph of the DUI addendum may be a little too emotion-filled.

Duramax80

Bronze

Post by Duramax80 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks, I'll tone it down. Does anyone else see any room for improvement or am I all set?

I kind of shot myself in the foot with my GPA and criminal record, and I dont blame anyone but myself for this, but I came to TLS seeking guidance to make me the best candidate I can be. I cant change my past, and my only shot at a decent school is to make my softs as strong as possible...they're all I've got to work with. Thanks again for your help, God knows I need it, and Id really appreciate anyone who comes across this thread to throw their opinion my way, no matter how casual. There is some serious intellect on this board, and hopefully it will rub off on me.

ADks

New

Post by ADks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Yeah I hear ya, I too had to write a dui addendum. In most states, especially if you aren't convicted, it will not affect passing the Bar's C&F requirements. It is a powerful learning experience especially when you have kind of a laissez faire kind of attitude towards that kind of shit. Hopefully schools will recognize this. Most people on here will say "as long as you disclose, you shouldn't have a problem", but if your numbers are kinda iffy there is no doubt that admissions will have to look at the more subjective material in the application. I personally believe that you just gotta make the positives more powerful than the negatives.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:04 am

In 2008, I suffered from depression upon the death of two very close friends. The following semester, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis, and had to medically withdraw from all of my classes. After fully recuperating from both of these factors, I entered back into my undergraduate career to continue my education.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:05 am

On December 12, 2007, I was arrested for DUI in (CITY, STATE). After being arrested, I enrolled myself into a defensive driving course on my own accord, which I completed. When I appeared in court, I was given the opportunity to plead guilty to reckless driving, and paid a fine of $ 1,271.00. Aside from the judicial fines, I was also forced to appear before the Student Judicial Board at my university. I completed an online alcohol education program as well as forty hours of community service. All of the requirements associated with my offense have been successfully completed.
Looking back, being arrested for DUI, allowed me to recognize my faults and reevaluate my life and actions. Since that time, I have grown and matured as an individual.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:44 am

Duramax80 wrote:Can you see any room for improvement?

DUI ADDENDUM:
On December 12, 2007, I was arrested for DUI in (CITY, STATE), citation number XXXXXX. After being arrested, I enrolled myself into a defensive driving course on my own accord, which I completed. When I appeared in court, I was given the opportunity to plead guilty to reckless driving, and paid a fine of $ 1,271.00. Aside from the judicial fines, I was also forced to appear before the Student Judicial Board at my university. I completed an online alcohol education program as well as forty hours of community service. All of the requirements associated with my offense have been successfully completed.
Looking back, being arrested for DUI is the most shameful and dishonorable experience of my life. However, it undoubtedly allowed me to recognize my faults and reevaluate my life and actions. Since that time, I have grown and matured as an individual, and I look back at that instance as a painful lesson learned. I fully realize the severity of my past actions, and both my criminal and driving history has remained free from any sort of violation whatsoever.

GPA ADDENDUM:
Starting college in 2006, I lacked direction in what field of study I should partake, causing me to essentially test out several different courses. Then, in 2008, I suffered from depression upon the death of two very close friends. The following semester, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis, and had to medically withdraw from all of my classes. Medical documentation can be provided upon request. However, after fully recuperating from both of these factors, which severely impacted my performance, I entered back into my undergraduate career to continue my education. In the spring of 2010, I enrolled into a law class, and found my drive and direction I had been lacking thus far. I transformed myself into a disciplined and motivated student, and committed myself to taking my studies seriously, which led to a significant improvement in my performance as a student, and which I believe, demonstrates my true academic capabilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”