Employment information Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fosterp

Bronze

Employment information

Post by fosterp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:01 am

Long story short...between the ages of 16 and 20 I worked for about 7 different employers doing jobs such as fast food, pizza delivery, bagging groceries, cashiering, etc. The reason I had so many employers is because I would quit because I got bored of the job, or I could get more hours/money at a different one, or because I wanted to focus more time on school, etc. I know on resumes you don't need to include all employers, just the recent/relevant ones, but one section for one of the schools I am applying to is asking me to list all employers including internships. I went through and started doing each and every one but the list is quite long and its almost embarrassing how many crappy jobs I had as a teenager/early 20s with the petty reasons for leaving. I can barely remember the start/end dates for each job, some lasting only a few months (with one place I worked at only a month). My most recent job I have had for the last five years while I did most of my schooling.

I guess I am just not sure how I should approach this section. I know I should add every bit of information - how should I handle this as it compared to my resume?

cinephile

Gold

Re: Employment information

Post by cinephile » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:27 am

They almost never want information from high school, so unless you graduated very young, you can eliminate years 16-18.

Also, it's not that unusual to have many jobs. I did because from semester to semester different things worked with my schedule. That's normal for college students. It's also pretty normal to list things as summer 2007 or spring 2008 on a resume.

Also, there's nothing embarrassing about having to support yourself. Why would a 16 year old have a prestigious job? Working in food service is fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”