Starting in Spring semester? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool4

New

Starting in Spring semester?

Post by lawschool4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I know some law schools that have spring admission, but I don't know if its a good idea?

Can someone please explain to me what the disadvantages are for starting in the spring semester?

Thank You

North

Gold

Re: Starting in Spring semester?

Post by North » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:12 pm

The disadvantage is that nearly all schools offering Spring admissions are not schools you should want to go to at all. To illustrate, they include: Baylor, Cal Western, Cardozo, Cooley, Drake, Florida Coastal, Golden Gate, John Marshall, Puerto Rico, Quinnipiac, Roger Williams, St. John's, St. Thomas, San Diego, South Texas, Stetson, Thomas Jefferson, Washburn, and Whittier. Not smart places to spend two-hundred grand.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

North wrote:The disadvantage is that nearly all schools offering Spring admissions are not schools you should want to go to at all. To illustrate, they include: Baylor, Cal Western, Cardozo, Cooley, Drake, Florida Coastal, Golden Gate, John Marshall, Puerto Rico, Quinnipiac, Roger Williams, St. John's, St. Thomas, San Diego, South Texas, Stetson, Thomas Jefferson, Washburn, and Whittier. Not smart places to spend two-hundred grand.
Drake doesn't have a Spring start, as far as I know. Just sayin'.

bahari2010

New

Post by bahari2010 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 am

North wrote:The disadvantage is that nearly all schools offering Spring admissions are not schools you should want to go to at all. To illustrate, they include: Baylor, Cal Western, Cardozo, Cooley, Drake, Florida Coastal, Golden Gate, John Marshall, Puerto Rico, Quinnipiac, Roger Williams, St. John's, St. Thomas, San Diego, South Texas, Stetson, Thomas Jefferson, Washburn, and Whittier. Not smart places to spend two-hundred grand.
Golden Gate discontinued its Spring admissions program (called Mid-Year Admissions) after the Spring 2008 semester because it just wasn't attracting that many applicants anymore...so they only offer August (Fall Semester) admission.

greenant

New

Post by greenant » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:15 pm

bahari2010 wrote:
Why would someone not want to go to this law schools?

I will be applying to Baylor for this upcoming spring semester ('13). I have not even started filing the paper work and am already feeling nervous. Due to some recent events I am scared it has hindered my possibility of being accepted to any law school for that matter.

I am dilligently preparing for the LSAT. My goal is high 160s, with a 3.25gpa. 4 years of working experience and various challenges due to my socioeconomic status and English being my second language. I hope I get a chance to prove myself after some recent shenanigans.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Well, I don't go to a school with a spring start, but I can think of some difficulties. Like, a lot of firm positions begin in the fall, but if you started in the spring, you'd end in the fall. Similarly, I don't know how many bar prep courses have live programs in the winter, which is when you'd graduate and thus want to start studying. Also, when would you do OCI, after only one semester? That's a lot of pressure to base your whole career on one semester's grades. Also, you'd be working your 1L summer without really knowing any law, although even if you completed one year you wouldn't really know any law either, so that doesn't matter. Also, what would you put on your resume, graduation expected in fall 20xx? This might confuse employers as to whether you're a part-time student or in a dual-degree program.

It just seems more complicated to me and that there are some difficulties to deal with, but no real advantages.

Oklahoma2014

New

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm

I do not start until this fall but did at least consider starting this past January. One disadvantage, at least with the law school I was considering, is that students who started in the spring weren't a seperate class on their own. Rather, they simply jumped in with the current 1L's. So this semester you would be struggling along as a first semester student, while your classmates had a semester of law school behind them. Not sure how many schools do this, but it did not sound very attractive to me.

Now, on the flip side, come this fall you would be grouped in with the incoming 1L's and so you would have the advantage of them.

Overall, I considered it, but looking back I am now glad that my December score arrived a few days too late to begin that program.

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:53 pm

lawschool4 wrote:I know some law schools that have spring admission, but I don't know if its a good idea?

Can someone please explain to me what the disadvantages are for starting in the spring semester?

Thank You
I'm just saying', you could do better.

Bgibbs

New

Post by Bgibbs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:43 am

A Swift wrote:
lawschool4 wrote:I know some law schools that have spring admission, but I don't know if its a good idea?

Thank You
I'm just saying', you could do better.
Tell me have you heard that lately?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”