Protocol for DUI arrest after all applications are in? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gail

Silver

Re: Protocol for DUI arrest after all applications are in?

Post by Gail » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Mroberts3 wrote: Seriously, grow the fuck up, TLS. Nobody thinks you are clever for posting memes.
Nice to see that I'm not the only one to think that internet memes are one of the most retarded parts of the internet.

Anyways, I'm not at all sure what to do in this situation, OP. I know you're probably taking it pretty hard, but I really think that the best thing to do is to tell the schools that you have been accepted to. The idea of going to law school is to be a lawyer. If you want to do that you're going to have to do the character and fitness bar. It would really suck if you went through 3 years only to be disallowed from practicing because you kept something from your law school. I'm not saying that would happen, but there's a chance that it might. I wouldn't want to take that chance. If it means they reject you, well you can always apply again, but once you're in there really is no turning back.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
un-vordox wrote:Douche,

Way to tell me what I was doing when you weren't even there. That's a great habit for someone with biglaw aspirations. I'd tell you to give it a rest, but it won't matter because you'll probably fail at any and all interviews you get because of your personality.

Have fun in shitlaw, douche.

PS if you said that to me in person I would choke you the fuck out.
damn, u mad bro?
Yeah, he's fucking mad and he has a right to be. This is a legitimate law application question on a site whose purpose is to discuss these kinds of issues. Instead of getting any kind of help, he gets a dozen responses (edit: and counting...) which are split between holier-than-thou bullshit/personal insults and mindless responses like meme photos and youtube links (as well as your stunning contribution to the thread).

Note how people chose to completely ignore that the OP said he wasn't drunk. This may or may not be true, but I'm not particularly invested in figuring out if someone on the internet is lying. So, assuming he is telling the truth, what did he do wrong? Even if he had some alcohol in his system, it is legal to drive after drinking alcohol if you are under the limit. So not only are you choosing not to believe him, but you are assuming things without any info (there is a huge difference between 0.04 and .12).

Seriously, grow the fuck up, TLS. Nobody thinks you are clever for posting memes. Nobody thinks you are moral for jumping all over someone. And Nobody gives a shit about your unoriginal snark. I can only hope that it is the anonymity of the internet that makes you all act like children. If not, then I'm with the OP: good luck surviving the adult world with such defective personalities.

/rant

OP: This is 100% something you have to tell people about. I would write up some kind of addendum and submit it to the schools you are still waiting on. Do not hype the part about how you think you should win your appeal or anything. Just say exactly what happened and make sure you express some contrition about it (I unless the cop was racially profiling you or something, there must have been some reason you got pulled over, even if not related to drinking). I don't know how this will affect you, but there isn't much you can do about it anyway.

For schools you got into I would call and ask. The main issue here is that this will have to come out during the C&F -- this isnt for a few years but you need to show the bar that you didn't hide it from your school. Will they rescind your acceptance? I have no idea, but I would generally think not. This should not prevent you from passing the C&F, which is what they care most about. Just call and tell them what happened and ask what procedure they want you to go through.
Heres what i saw: One person doubted his unrealistic story, and then he called him a douche. After one more comment, esentially identical to the first. OP then threatens to batter BigLaw. From there the thread goes south, and justifiably so. Your rant seems to support the wrong person imo.
OP's conduct on the thread makes me more suspicious of his innocence in the face of these allegations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBJPXSG25g

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:01 am

Yeah you 100% have to report this.

Look at it from the perspective of an adcomm

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:09 am

You have to update the adcomms. C&F brah.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 am

Just ask your attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:20 am

Also, re-read your applications carefully. I don't know which schools you applied to but some only require convictions.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:23 am

Way to tell me what I was doing when you weren't even there. That's a great habit for someone with biglaw aspirations. I'd tell you to give it a rest, but it won't matter because you'll probably fail at any and all interviews you get because of your personality.

That seemed uncalled for.

But yes, OP, to answer your question, I would report it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 am

THIS.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks for the responses addressing the topic. I definitely should have left the last line out, but I stand by the rest of my message to Mr Shitlaw.

To clarify, I am waiting for blood test results that will likely show I was way under .08. I refused tests and they got a warrant to forcefully take my blood.

The way it happened: I was out with my finace and our roommate. I had never been to this place, and my roommate drove us in her car. She got trashed, so I drove. I was driving an unfamiliar, tiny car, and I didn;t know the way. I am also over 6 ft tall so that didn't help with the little car I was driving.

I was also getting pretty crappy directions from the 2 wasted girls in the car. This resulted in me making an illegal right turn from the left lane. Then I got revised directions almost immediately and moved to the left lane to make a U-turn, hwn I saw the bike cop's flashing lights. I turned my right blinker on and swerved back to the right side of the road, then stopped.

Cop's story: speeding (not true), illegal right turn (credited), swerving (only after his fucking lights were on), smelled of alcohol (I had 2 wasted chicks in the car), slurred speech (not true), ticking eyes (I take prescription Xanax).

I wasn't anywhere close to drunk.

My current plan is to wait for the results of trial, and then disclose it to the school I plan to attend. There's still time, in my opinion. If it gets late in the cycle and I still haven't done it, I'll send a disclosure up to that point.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm

All's well that ends well.
Last edited by MrKappus on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Actually, breathalyzers are inaccurate, and if you've had anything to drink at all it is in your best interest to postpone the test. Nice try though.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Also, I think your definition of lying is off.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm

gotta report it. i would say ask to speak to the assistant dean of admissions or someone like that in person. but not to reassure you or anything but a few people in my class had dui's, didn't report them until after orientation and were still fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 pm

I forgot to mention how quickly everything is moving. It's not like I'm waiting for results that come out in May. My hearing is coming up really soon, and if they set the next court date for way out in the future, I will disclose everything up to that point.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:42 pm

bartleby wrote:gotta report it. i would say ask to speak to the assistant dean of admissions or someone like that in person. but not to reassure you or anything but a few people in my class had dui's, didn't report them until after orientation and were still fine.
Thanks, I'm starting to see it this way. I think I should just write it up and mention I am waiting for results of the trial.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 pm

un-vordox wrote:if you've had anything to drink at all it is in your best interest to postpone the test.
Did you just admit you were drinking?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 pm

un-vordox wrote:Also, I think your definition of lying is off.
Dude: it's just an observation. What the FUCK do I care if you get pwned by C&F? It's your license. Dick around with it at your peril.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm

MrKappus wrote:
un-vordox wrote:Also, I think your definition of lying is off.
Dude: it's just an observation. What the FUCK do I care if you get pwned by C&F? It's your license. Dick around with it at your peril.
Appreciated. No one likes being called a liar though, implicitly or explicity. I just disagree that it would constitute lying. Thanks for the honest response.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Disclosures sent to all schools today. Thanks.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 pm

un-vordox wrote:Actually, breathalyzers are inaccurate, and if you've had anything to drink at all it is in your best interest to postpone the test. Nice try though.
FYI, there are lots of states where refusing to take a breathalyzer at the station (never seen this kind of statute for a pre-arrest test) = automatic license revocation for a year and other fines/etc., even if you turn out to be stone-cold sober.

The more you know.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
un-vordox wrote:Actually, breathalyzers are inaccurate, and if you've had anything to drink at all it is in your best interest to postpone the test. Nice try though.
FYI, there are lots of states where refusing to take a breathalyzer at the station (never seen this kind of statute for a pre-arrest test) = automatic license revocation for a year and other fines/etc., even if you turn out to be stone-cold sober.

The more you know.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I would be arrested in my state just for refusing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:58 am

un-vordox wrote:Thanks for the responses addressing the topic. I definitely should have left the last line out, but I stand by the rest of my message to Mr Shitlaw.
un-vordox's profile wrote:Highest LSAT: 159
GPA: 3.0
/thread

Scuppers

New

Post by Scuppers » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 am

BiglawOrBust wrote:

/thread
Between his LSAT and your avatar, I am willing to bet that he actually would be able to "choke you the fuck out."

But seriously folks, OP posted a perfectly legitimate question and 3 minutes later (3 minutes!), the first reply that he received was inappropriate and trolling. It's unsurprising that things went as they did, and it's Biglaworbust's fault. Sort of like if we are walking down the street and I push you so hard that you fall into a hobo and prolapse his colon. I'm to blame, right? (Unless, I guess, I was pushing you to save you from an out-of-control drunk driver. But I'll leave that to better legal minds or frequent TLS posters.)

So, yeah, OP's anger was justified. Even expected, if you consider that he was most likely posting while intoxicated. (I kid, I kid. I'm on your side, OP.)

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 am

Scuppers wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

/thread
Between his LSAT and your avatar, I am willing to bet that he actually would be able to "choke you the fuck out."

But seriously folks, OP posted a perfectly legitimate question and 3 minutes later (3 minutes!), the first reply that he received was inappropriate and trolling. It's unsurprising that things went as they did, and it's Biglaworbust's fault. Sort of like if we are walking down the street and I push you so hard that you fall into a hobo and prolapse his colon. I'm to blame, right? (Unless, I guess, I was pushing you to save you from an out-of-control drunk driver. But I'll leave that to better legal minds or frequent TLS posters.)

So, yeah, OP's anger was justified. Even expected, if you consider that he was most likely posting while intoxicated. (I kid, I kid. I'm on your side, OP.)
Are you stuck in a cave? Why would you take the time to write that?

Scuppers

New

Post by Scuppers » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Mce252 wrote: Are you stuck in a cave? Why would you take the time to write that?
Worse--stuck in the office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”