WE Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rayz33

New

WE Question

Post by rayz33 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi everyone-

Struggling to what extent (if at all) I should emphasize I worked 40+ hours a week @ night to pay for school, while pursuing my undergrad. Nothing glamorous or relevant to my career (NYC restaurant), but it -- along with my part-time internships -- undoubtedly took up most of my free time and made keeping up with school work that much harder. Learned a lot on the job, but nothing worthy of fodder for a personal statement. And I would hate to sacrifice space on my resume for my WE since (3+ in public policy) is very relevant to my pursuit on a law degree.

Worthy on an additional essay? Some sort of addendum?

Of course some applications have employment sections that allow you to indicate the work took place over the course of the school year, but I am afraid that might bury -- what I think is -- a very critical piece in the mosaic of my application. But maybe I am entirely wrong and schools don't give a damn.

Eager for counsel.

Thanks all,
R

cinephile

Gold

Re: WE Question

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Mention how many hours you worked per week on your resume. Also, don't worry about "space" on your resume, law schools want inclusiveness and there's no need to stick to one page. Also, no need for an additional essay.

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Maybe an addendum if your grades slipped at the time but no addendum needed if you were steady.

rayz33

New

Post by rayz33 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Good insight. Just been conditioned to assume a one-page limit on the resume.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 pm

rayz33 wrote:Good insight. Just been conditioned to assume a one-page limit on the resume.
Ann Levine says that is a common mistake:

--LinkRemoved--
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/g ... lications-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayz33

New

Post by rayz33 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:Maybe an addendum if your grades slipped at the time but no addendum needed if you were steady.
Could certainly make the case my German grades suffered (wasn't able to do the regular study needed for a language course), but I am afraid it might come off a bit petulant to blame work... Although, language study was a requirement and the four semesters represent the four lone "Bs" on my transcript.

What do others think?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:34 pm

No need to write an addendum.

Also echoing previous posters in that your resume for law school doesn't need to be one page. (I made that mistake too and after I had submitted my apps, I learned (from t10 AdComm members) that I definitely did not need to stay at one page.)

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

ehhhhhh I wouldn't use an addendum to explain a string of B's

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
rayz33 wrote:Good insight. Just been conditioned to assume a one-page limit on the resume.
Ann Levine says that is a common mistake:

--LinkRemoved--
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/g ... lications-
Sure, but many schools force a one-page limit and others have a one to two page specification with an explicit preference for one page, and some still say nothing on the issue. Thus, I'm not sure you can say with certainty there is a hard or fast rule to resumes. However, I would definitely exceed the limit if not doing so meant there would be a gap in my employment history.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”