Why ND's Mediocre Ranking? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Why ND's Mediocre Ranking?

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Notre Dame's mediocre ranking is just part of this country's larger war on Christianity. It's a damn shame.

username08

Bronze

Post by username08 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Notre Dame's mediocre ranking is just part of this country's larger war on Christianity. It's a damn shame.
Yeah, just look at the Tim Tebow backlash, lol.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Notre Dame's mediocre ranking is just part of this country's larger war on Christianity. It's a damn shame.
Cmon now....True Christians know that Catholics are going to hell.

Nate895

New

Post by Nate895 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
I would actually agree with the idea that being a Roman Catholic would make one a heretic. (Yes, I know that makes me an ignorant fundy-men-tall-yst to most, especially with my being a Liberty University student.) However, I agree with Roman Catholics on most of their social views and they still profess Christ (however falsely), and that's what makes many their enemy, not transubstantiation, Papal infallibility, their views on the Virgin Mary, and the other things that make me have a beef with the RCC.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Nate895 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
I would actually agree with the idea that being a Roman Catholic would make one a heretic. (Yes, I know that makes me an ignorant fundy-men-tall-yst to most, especially with my being a Liberty University student.) However, I agree with Roman Catholics on most of their social views and they still profess Christ (however falsely), and that's what makes many their enemy, not transubstantiation, Papal infallibility, their views on the Virgin Mary, and the other things that make me have a beef with the RCC.
\

It's posts like this that make me glad that I am going to hell, just so I won't have to deal with dipshits like this guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Nate895 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:17 pm

KMaine wrote:
Nate895 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
\

It's posts like this that make me glad that I am going to hell, just so I won't have to deal with dipshits like this guy.

No doubt. What an ignorant prick.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:20 pm

-Only TTTs send snail-mail spam to students who haven't applied.
-ND sent me, a student who did not apply, snail-mail spam.
--> ND is a TTT.

Nate895

New

Post by Nate895 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:25 pm

KMaine wrote:
Nate895 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
\

I like how you think I'm a "dipshit" even though you don't know me in person. You really just judged me based on a single internet post that had to do with the content of my beliefs, none of which was anything prejudiced (i.e., I don't think RCs are stupid or inferior). I came to conclusions based on what Roman Catholics profess they believe, and what the Scriptures teach. I just so happen to have come to the conclusion that the Mass is an act of blasphemy, to the level that one who commits that blasphemy consciously is denying the faith once for all delivered to the saints.

Did you know my father's side of the family is Roman Catholic? Did you know that I was baptized as a Roman Catholic? No. You just judged based me on my thought-out religious beliefs. Why am I dipshit again? Do you think I break into Roman Catholic parishes with a bullhorn saying that the Mass is blasphemy? Have I shown up to any Papal visits with a big sign saying "The Pope is Anti-Christ"? Do you think I spend most of my time thinking about how evil Roman Catholics and non-believers are? If you think I do, I don't. I just say what I believe and why I believe it when appropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Nate895 wrote: I like how you think I'm a "dipshit" even though you don't know me in person. You really just judged me based on a single internet post that had to do with the content of my beliefs, none of which was anything prejudiced (i.e., I don't think RCs are stupid or inferior). I came to conclusions based on what Roman Catholics profess they believe, and what the Scriptures teach. I just so happen to have come to the conclusion that the Mass is an act of blasphemy, to the level that one who commits that blasphemy consciously is denying the faith once for all delivered to the saints.

Did you know my father's side of the family is Roman Catholic? Did you know that I was baptized as a Roman Catholic? No. You just judged based me on my thought-out religious beliefs. Why am I dipshit again? Do you think I break into Roman Catholic parishes with a bullhorn saying that the Mass is blasphemy? Have I shown up to any Papal visits with a big sign saying "The Pope is Anti-Christ"? Do you think I spend most of my time thinking about how evil Roman Catholics and non-believers are? If you think I do, I don't. I just say what I believe and why I believe it when appropriate.
God is a silly myth. Settle down. When Catholics die the same thing happens to them as everyone else. They stop existing and their bodies rot.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

"Why ND's Mediocre Ranking?" Because of the religious zealot tool-nuggets like Nate it seems to attract...

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

.[/quote]\
It's posts like this that make me glad that I am going to hell, just so I won't have to deal with dipshits like this guy.[/quote]

I like how you think I'm a "dipshit" even though you don't know me in person. You really just judged me based on a single internet post that had to do with the content of my beliefs, none of which was anything prejudiced (i.e., I don't think RCs are stupid or inferior). I came to conclusions based on what Roman Catholics profess they believe, and what the Scriptures teach. I just so happen to have come to the conclusion that the Mass is an act of blasphemy, to the level that one who commits that blasphemy consciously is denying the faith once for all delivered to the saints.

Did you know my father's side of the family is Roman Catholic? Did you know that I was baptized as a Roman Catholic? No. You just judged based me on my thought-out religious beliefs. Why am I dipshit again? Do you think I break into Roman Catholic parishes with a bullhorn saying that the Mass is blasphemy? Have I shown up to any Papal visits with a big sign saying "The Pope is Anti-Christ"? Do you think I spend most of my time thinking about how evil Roman Catholics and non-believers are? If you think I do, I don't. I just say what I believe and why I believe it when appropriate.[/quote]

When appropriate? I would question that. I'll say Hi to your dad's family in hell. I hope that your time at Liberty is enough to wash away that horrible holy water in which you were baptised. Oh, yeah, I forgot, faith not works. You should be all set.

Nate895

New

Post by Nate895 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:19 pm

anewaphorist wrote:"Why ND's Mediocre Ranking?" Because of the religious zealot tool-nuggets like Nate it seems to attract...
I have little-to-no-intention of going there, even if it was the top-ranked school that accepted me (not for religious reasons, but for the fact I have little desire to live in the midwest). I don't know what the Notre Dame class looks like, but one thing I'm hoping for in the law school I attend is to have a collegial environment when it comes to some of these sorts of discussions (i.e., social issues). One thing that kind of made me like Washington and Lee when I visited was that my tour guide noted how collegial discussions were between conservatives and liberals when disagreements might arise. I hope whatever school I attend will have room for respectful discussion of these issues instead of this kind of name-calling tomfoolery.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:32 pm

kaiser wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:USNews isn't designed to emulate lay perceptions of which law schools are best. That's why the rankings don't start with Harvard at 1 and Georgetown at 2.
I don't know a single person who thinks Georgetown is 2 in lay prestige. Maybe if I were from DC that would be different.
Ok, you could just see the larger point without quibbling over the exact "law prestige rankings" (a conversation this board has had enough), but I understand law school attracts the type of people prone to making unnecessary and subjective corrections at the expense of the broader discussion.
I remember seeing someone's comment that you are the resident douche of TLS. I didn't read through the thread to find what comment prompted that observation. But thanks for the confirmation bro.
lawl

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:50 pm

pohboydomer wrote:I'll give a few of my thoughts. ND probably should be right around 20, in my view: behind the T14, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, and GWU.

Its "peer assessment score" is below where it should be. That's, I think, threefold.

1. Up until around 15-20 years ago, the school didn't have the kind of "scholarly output" that a lot of the "best" schools consider vital, or a real effort to do so. It had some "productive" scholars, but that wasn't the standard in hiring. In the last 15-20 years, however, there's been a real shift to hiring faculty that are really extraordinary scholars, publishing pieces in ways that "peer" schools start to value. That said, it's a lagging reputation, and it will take still longer to overcome that inertia and earn the respect of peers, as more and more junior faculty get older and recognize the institution. People like Brian Leiter, for instance, would consider them marginal for that reason.

It still doesn't dude. Our faculty is the main reason we're 23 and not between 15-20. Our placement is on par with GW, and money spent per student isn't an issue.

3. The faculty are accessible to student and make teaching a priority. To be an "elite" law school, you basically shut out teaching or don't get the reputation for having accessibility to students. Cruel, I guess, but ND cares about teaching more than, I think, a lot of the higher-ranked schools, so that puts an emphasis on traits that a lot of peer institutions don't particularly care for.

sure i guess. im not sure how much i buy into this

To all the haters and trolls and everyone. Notre Dame has a truly national reputation in terms of alumni placement. maybe Its primary market is Chicago, but it's not bound by Chicago like, say, Illinois is. Its career services has had longstanding problems going on for years (a decade?) now. Alumni network is fantastic, if you're willing to do the work and actually avail yourself of it. Your job prospects are not going to be as good as those at, say, Northwestern. That's just a fact. But your chances at getting a federal clerkship are probably better, for the ~10-15% or so of the class that's relevant to. Your indebtedness at graduation is going to be good because your cost of living is so cheap. Law school expenditures per student don't have to be inflated in part because of that cost of living.

im not sure i'd agree that it's national. i have 3 home markets - couldnt break into one of them because of peer schools there, had a single CB in the other, and dominated the third because the only school there is a TTT (and ended up in a market i had little connection to). it's national in that people have heard of and to some extent appropriate a degree of respect to ND, but it's not national in placement. there's schools all over the place and we compete with them all. we placed well in chicago, ohio, and michigan, and that's the truth of it. there are few going to NY or DC (3 going to DC???) and 1 going to CA. there's perhaps 4 going to boston. the rest of those with biglaw are going to their home markets - i know of idaho, texas, indiana, florida, connecticut, pennsylvania, etc. the alumni network isnt that great and ill dispel that right here - the network is great when your creds are decent and theyre your interviewer. i had ND partners help me during oci when they were my oci screeners; they hustled to gain me support during my CBs, but if your creds arent good, nothing really that they can do

Basically, there's good, there's not so good, be alert, take responsibility, survive, etc., and ND isn't so "mediocre" if it's ranked, what, 23-ish and I think it should probably be 20. we should be 20, ill agree to that. maybe 19, but we're not better than usc. probably on par with BC. come at me

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:36 am

YourCaptain wrote:So, so mad
Y u so mad tho

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:15 am

Nate895 wrote:I would actually agree with the idea that being a Roman Catholic would make one a heretic. (Yes, I know that makes me an ignorant fundy-men-tall-yst to most, especially with my being a Liberty University student.)
Nate please post more about your experience at Liberty U. I for one am happy you have contributed your thoughts on the Catholic Church and law school. Can you also say more on your thoughts about AIDS being punishment for the homosexuals and for people who tolerate homosexuals? Do you think the anti-Christ HAS to be jewish, or can he be just a super bad dude? Why are you going to law school when your lord and savior, the late Reverend Falwell, will be returning from the dead on 12-12-12?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:34 am

IAFG wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:So, so mad
Y u so mad tho
i told you to come at me already brah

Nate895

New

Post by Nate895 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Nate895 wrote:I would actually agree with the idea that being a Roman Catholic would make one a heretic. (Yes, I know that makes me an ignorant fundy-men-tall-yst to most, especially with my being a Liberty University student.)
Nate please post more about your experience at Liberty U. I for one am happy you have contributed your thoughts on the Catholic Church and law school. Can you also say more on your thoughts about AIDS being punishment for the homosexuals and for people who tolerate homosexuals? Do you think the anti-Christ HAS to be jewish, or can he be just a super bad dude? Why are you going to law school when your lord and savior, the late Reverend Falwell, will be returning from the dead on 12-12-12?
Three cheers for stereotypes!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:03 pm

"I don't think Roman Catholics are stupid or inferior, I just think that their faith is an abomination against God, that their beliefs are fundamentally incorrect and hypocritical, and that they're probably all going to hell. But why can't we just have a good, friendly discussion, guys?"

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Nate895 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Three cheers for stereotypes!
Not stereotypes! These are pretty much direct quotes from our friend Jerry Falwell. Except for the last one. That's just fact.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:49 pm

This thread hasn't been locked yet?! Mods must be on sabbatical..

EDIT - Reported. I don't think attacking people because of their religious beliefs, or lack thereof, is acceptable in this forum.

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:59 pm

mrtoren wrote:This thread hasn't been locked yet?! Mods must be on sabbatical..

EDIT - Reported. I don't think attacking people because of their religious beliefs, or lack thereof, is acceptable in this forum.
Yes, it is unacceptable to come onto a thread about a Roman Catholic institution and openly berate its practices. If that's not trolling, I have no use for forums any longer.
Last edited by BeerMaker on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate895

New

Post by Nate895 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 pm

To clarify, I think Notre Dame is a fine institution that I might attend if it is the absolute best option I have to attend law school. They do place nationally to some extent and offer clerkship opportunities, so there is a chance it might be the best opportunity, particularly if I do not have a high enough LSAT score after my upcoming June retake to get into UVA.

Edit: I probably shouldn't have posted to begin with. I simply wanted to point that even someone with a hard stance on the RCC could still stand with them as far as Notre Dame being marked down due to its conservative Christian (of whatever stripe) reputation.
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Not stereotypes! These are pretty much direct quotes from our friend Jerry Falwell. Except for the last one. That's just fact.
So, do you believe everything the founder of your undergraduate institution said?

BTW, I'll be the first to inform you if Falwell rises from the dead anytime soon. My dorm is right next to his grave.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:52 pm

So, obviously this is a little late, but let's keep the religious discussions and trolling out of the thread. If I have to come back, the offenders will be banned for a fairly long period of time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”